Ocean View - do the windows or portholes open?

Does anybody know? I did a search but didn't easily find an answer for RC ships. There is a large price difference for one cruise. We don't spend a lot of time sitting on a balcony, but like to verify the temps and hear the ocean at night. Thanks!

Does anybody know? I did a search but didn't easily find an answer for RC ships. There is a large price difference for one cruise. We don't spend a lot of time sitting on a balcony, but like to verify the temps and hear the ocean at night. Thanks!

No, windows and/or portholes do not open.

Unfortunately, all the cruise ships that had working portholes have long since sailed off into the sunset. Last one we were on that had portholes that opened was the Sky Princess out of San Francisco in 1986:(

Is it a dumb question? :o

There is a line in the portholes in the pictures, so I was hoping - would save $400 pp!

AL-O-605x237.jpg

The "line" as you refer to it , is an engineering safety design for increased structural integrity. Porthole window cabins are on the lowest decks of the ship, closer to the water line which makes them more vulnerable to the possible impact of waves hitting the sides of the ship.

Is it a dumb question? :o

There is a line in the portholes in the pictures, so I was hoping - would save $400 pp!

AL-O-605x237.jpg

No, it's not a dumb question!:D

We had an oceanview with window on the Mariner and. while it was ok, I would much rather have a balcony if possible!

Sherri:)

It's not a stupid question at all. And if that is the Oasis/Allure, I would take the oceanview over the balcony and put the $400 towards spending money. I am not saying that everything is expensive, it's just that there are so many things to do and you may wish you had more money. I loved the Oasis but I have to save money before I can cruise on her again.:p

Have done some last minute bookings and only option were OV cabins. A window/port hole will allow you to see the weather and the TV channel does a live web cam 24/7. Many people with IS cabins run it all the time so they feel they have a window. My favorite cabin in a balcony, any from basic to suite. But, when the ship is filled and it is down to cruise or not to cruise and the only cabins are 2 IS and 6 OV, I took the OV in a heartbeat to be with some friends.Had a fantastic time! Decide what you need more, the upgrade to bal or the $400 for excursions and shopping.Either way you will have a good time.

I know for sure that on the Vision of the Seas a window of a deck two cabin did open back in 1999;).

I have to admit though, that it didn´t close:rolleyes: at least not after it was pushed in by some big waves and the room was flooded:eek:

Fortunately my room (only a few cabins down the hall) was not affected.

Archived