Prague Add-on for AmaWaterways Worth it?

Scarlette

First time on a river cruise and wondering about these add-ons. We do plan to fly in a few days earlier than embarkation day, but is there any value of purchasing the add-on or do they offer it as a convenience for those who want everything taken care of from start to finish?

There is a group of 4 adults traveling. I am thinking we could do a DIY and safe a significant amount of money? Is there something I am missing?

For me it depends on the cost of room at the Avalon hotel. If it istoo high then I move to another hotel. I plan to stay in Prague for several days after my Paris to Prague cruise next June. Not sure what I'll do for the hotel yet.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I generally find trip extensions to be quite pricey, and you will end up in a larger hotel that caters to groups. One item to check is if you are getting air through the Cruise Line, do they charge a deviation fee if you stay longer DIY (many lines do charge this, although a number waive it if you have a number of cruises with them already). Personally I prefer smaller, more intimate hotels (especially if they are also cheaper:cool:), even though I have to transfer to the hotel on my own. And if you have any experience traveling, NO I don't think that you are missing anything - it is mostly about convenience and not having to make any decisions.

Thom

First time on a river cruise and wondering about these add-ons. We do plan to fly in a few days earlier than embarkation day, but is there any value of purchasing the add-on or do they offer it as a convenience for those who want everything taken care of from start to finish?

There is a group of 4 adults traveling. I am thinking we could do a DIY and safe a significant amount of money? Is there something I am missing?

I would book the AMA transfer in any case as it is just easier.

As for "worth it" this is relative. If you are independent travelers, Prague is reasonable and easy to experience on your own. I recommend a private guide as it will enhance your understanding of the history and culture.

If you want soup to nuts planned for you (as some prefer) then book with AMA. They do a great job and the hotel they use is centrally located (unlike some of the other lines).

We are spending a week in Prague pre-cruise and opted to plan it on our own. I found a great AirBNB apartment right on Old Town Square and booked it. We'll move to the Avalon hotel on the day that we are supposed to join the group for the cruise. I personally think Prague is easy to do on your own and you can probably find better deals on your hotel. If they are booking your air, I'm not sure how that will impact your decision.

When we booked aur AMA cruise we opted to do Prague on our own. I found a very reliable transfer from the airport, booked it ahead, booked the Hilton Old Town on our own and booked the transfer to the ship thru' AMA as caviargal suggested. Very easy, and saved a lot of money. There are many hotels to choose from including a Marriott right across from the Hilton. This Hilton is an easy walk to Old Town and is located right above a subway station. Trams stop nearby too. Lots of restaurants in the area. As mentioned, it all depends on your travel style. Some like to DIY and others prefer to have everything arranged for them. In this case, Prague is a very easy city to DIY and a search of this forum as well as the River Cruise Ports sub forum will reveal a great deal of information and advice. Happy travels!

The Hilton Old Town is ideally located. There are a number of good restaurants within walking distance. There is also a nice grocery store across the street and to the right. Great place to buy snacks, bottles of wine, water or beer.

Thank you for your replies.

Which hotel does AMA usually use in Prague?

Ama has us booked at the Hotel Cosmopolitan (www dot hotel-cosmopolitan dot cz/en/) for our trip this November. I would normally be a little concerned as it's a new hotel and doesn't open until September, but Ama has been good to us so far with our pre-cruise hotel (a "luxury room club sofitel" at the Sofitel), so I think/hope it will be nice :).

We're on the AmaDante sailing Prague to Paris on June 15 next year. AMA has booked us in the Prague Intercontinental. My research shows this in the Old Town which is wonderful, checking the city map the location looks great. Based on what we read on the website and the photos on the website along with reviews on Tripadvisor, we're pleased.

We're on the AmaDante sailing Prague to Paris on June 15 next year. AMA has booked us in the Prague Intercontinental. My research shows this in the Old Town which is wonderful, checking the city map the location looks great. Based on what we read on the website and the photos on the website along with reviews on Tripadvisor, we're pleased.

We will be in the IC in July if you have any questions. I plan to post a review on my blog and in here too I'm sure.

• 1 month later...
I would book the AMA transfer in any case as it is just easier.

As for "worth it" this is relative. If you are independent travelers, Prague is reasonable and easy to experience on your own. I recommend a private guide as it will enhance your understanding of the history and culture.

If you want soup to nuts planned for you (as some prefer) then book with AMA. They do a great job and the hotel they use is centrally located (unlike some of the other lines).

We are booked on AMA and are considering the Xmas Market 2-day post-cruise extension in Prague in December. The only things that appear to be included in AMA's package is 1) $110 transfers boat to hotel; 2) 2 nights hotel; and 3) 1/2 day city tour. Am I missing something? This totals way less than the amt of buying my transfers and doing the rest on my own for the two of us. Hoping to hear from someone who has done the 2 or 3 day Prague extension with AMA. Thank you.

We are booked on AMA and are considering the Xmas Market 2-day post-cruise extension in Prague in December. The only things that appear to be included in AMA's package is 1) $110 transfers boat to hotel; 2) 2 nights hotel; and 3) 1/2 day city tour. Am I missing something? This totals way less than the amt of buying my transfers and doing the rest on my own for the two of us. Hoping to hear from someone who has done the 2 or 3 day Prague extension with AMA. Thank you.

Breakfast is the only thing missing from your list that I can see.

Prague is gorgeous in the Christmas season and we really enjoyed the markets there.

We stayed there last year when we did our pre cruise independently. It is very austere and Soviet looking on the outside but very nice on the inside. Very easy walk to the square, Jewish Quarters.

Here is a section from my blog that talks about the hotel: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/prague-in-3-12-days/

Enjoy

Hi from another Virginia! We did our pre and post cruise independently last year. We were concerned about getting to Vilshofen from Prague but AMA does sells the transfers without having to purchase their pre/post cruise package. It was well worth it for us to do it that way. Friends that we were traveling with did the pre cruise in Prague and didn't feel like they got that much value for what they paid - a city tour, transfers both ways, hotel and breakfast (internet not included in the rooms at the Hilton Old Town),. For one of their optional tours, I was able to book it by myself (dinner at a folklife restaurant/cultural show). We were picked up and returned to our hotels as part of the ticket price. It was less than what AMA was charging for the optional tour. Here is a link to my blog talking about the dinner show: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/wrapping-up-prague-weird-stories-a-great-restaurant-and-activities-on-the-main-square/

Enjoy

Jane

Thank you for your replies.

Which hotel does AMA usually use in Prague?

We just received our updated invoice yesterday for our Ama trip next June . . . It shows "Land Cnfirmed" and has been changed to the Cosmopolitan, which is scheduled to open this September. It is in Old Town.

Hilton Old Town.

Just returned from AMA cruise starting in Prague. This time the people who opted for the AMA add on were staying in the InterContinental. We decided to do it ourselves, stayed at the Pod Vezi which was right at the foot of the Charles Bridge. Wonderful hotel. Taxied to the InterContinental and made the transfer with the AMA bunch day of Sailing. No problems at all! Prague is easy to get around, and PodVezi met us at the airport, and arranged for taxi to transfer us the last day.

Hi from another Virginia! We did our pre and post cruise independently last year. We were concerned about getting to Vilshofen from Prague but AMA does sells the transfers without having to purchase their pre/post cruise package. It was well worth it for us to do it that way. Friends that we were traveling with did the pre cruise in Prague and didn't feel like they got that much value for what they paid - a city tour, transfers both ways, hotel and breakfast (internet not included in the rooms at the Hilton Old Town),. For one of their optional tours, I was able to book it by myself (dinner at a folklife restaurant/cultural show). We were picked up and returned to our hotels as part of the ticket price. It was less than what AMA was charging for the optional tour. Here is a link to my blog talking about the dinner show: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/wrapping-up-prague-weird-stories-a-great-restaurant-and-activities-on-the-main-square/

Enjoy

Jane

Thank you for referring these Richmonders to your blog. Learned from your commentary!

I have always done the DIY for hotels, transfers, excursions etc. After pricing out what AMA has to offer pre Paris and post Barcelona, I decided to get the credit card out and book it all through them. This is one trip I don't want to be in charge to be sure us and my cousin get to where we are going. We do have private excursions while in those cities so that's enough for us. I am just at a point in our travels now that I want to sit back and enjoy and not worry. I am sure you will do fine with DIY. Safe travels!

Not on AMA but Viking next April. I did add an extension (pre-cruise) for Budapest when I first booked the cruise in December. It was pricey, but I thought about the convenience of it all.

The extension for Prague is very expensive, so we're doing Prague on our own. We'll pay the $100 deviation fee and any airfare price difference (won't be much difference, if at all). My friends and I booked a place to stay and I have our transportation service from Passau to Prague all set up.

With all of the reading I've done on Prague, it sounds like a city that's easy to get around on your own.

Monica

Often, even booking the SAME hotel for extra days is less expensive than through the Cruise Line. Make sure you understand the pricing (per person, or per room).

We rarely use their rooms, transfers or airfare. Much easier and cheaper on your own. The last transfer we used was a royal pain - we should have just paid the $20 for a cab.

Edited by garycarla

• 2 weeks later...
LINVIRGINIA - Glad I could help. Our daughter lies in the West End so I go to Richmond frequently to see her 13 month old and 3 year old children. Strange question but by any chance is your first name Lindy?

No. Longtime Fan residents just moved to the West End.