Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

Another reason o love Celebrity! I was very concerned how I would pack for my cruise out of Amsterdam, with one small suitcase and 5 pre-cruise days in the city, and that long skirt? No need! Now, I have the perfect things and can leave the discomfort at home! Thanks for being the first to step into the reality of traveling! 💟Celebrity!

I'm with all you you. But be prepared, others will not be happy.

I just wish this change took place now and not waiting until Dec. We will have just completed our cruise.

Having made the announcement, I doubt that they'll enforce the old requirements during the last couple of weeks.

This is great news! Sorry to the naysayers, times are changing and so is Celebrity. Celebrity's clientele used to be like HAL, now the mix is much better and much more modern. For the 'sophisticated' complainers ... time to move lines.. Hope you move soon to Azamara... enjoy the prices too!

This is great news! Sorry to the naysayers, times are changing and so is Celebrity. Celebrity's clientele used to be like HAL, now the mix is much better and much more modern. For the 'sophisticated' complainers ... time to move lines.. Hope you move soon to Azamara... enjoy the prices too!

Azamara doesn't have formal nights. They have white night. But you're not required to wear white. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I'm with all you you. But be prepared, others will not be happy.

I just wish this change took place now and not waiting until Dec. We will have just completed our cruise.

You mean the "stuffies"??;)

I fully support this change. As someone who feels more elegant in a sport jacket and designer black jeans and a flirty sundress, I can't tell you how liberating this is. :p

:D :p

So why do they have to be designer jeans? Is someone from X going to check the label :p? And who is going to determine if your sundress is too flirty :eek: :rolleyes:?

Yeah!

We have sailed on Oceania for many years and love the Smart Casual evenings on Oceania. We sail for the first time on Celebrity in a couple weeks, (November 28th). We were going to dine in the buffet on formal nights, as our travel companions do not want to wear a jacket and tie on a Caribbean cruise. Do you think it will still be required even though the change doesn't go in effect until the day after we return?

Yeah!

We have sailed on Oceania for many years and love the Smart Casual evenings on Oceania. We sail for the first time on Celebrity in a couple weeks, (November 28th). We were going to dine in the buffet on formal nights, as our travel companions do not want to wear a jacket and tie on a Caribbean cruise. Do you think it will still be required even though the change doesn't go in effect until the day after we return?

It is only occasionally enforced now so I wouldn't think twice about going to the MDR without formal wear. Go and enjoy!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Yeah!

We sailed on the Summit in September and there were people in the MDR on the three formal nights with just a pair of slacks and collared shirt. So I wouldn't eat in the buffet unless that's the food you really wanted that night.

I wore a sport coat the first two formal nights but as soon as I sat down, I placed it on the back of my chair. I didn't bother on the third formal night.

So just enjoy your cruise and don't worry, be happy mon.

So I've read the article from X - what's the difference between Chic and Smart Casual ?

Looks the same to me

Very subtle (if any) difference. Just a way to stave off some of the eruption (voiced on numerous threads here) that would be out of control had they gone to OMG!! all smart casual.

Obviously trying to attract the younger cruisers (modern luxury?)

What's wrong with maintaining standards.

What is wrong with choice? You dress up as much as you wish and I do the same. And why do you get the right to determine "standards"?

What is everyone afraid of?

:mad::mad::mad:

I logged onto the website for the first time in forever because I felt the need to balance out the no-more-formal-nights lovefest going on here. I'm really shocked that so many people are happy about this change.

After the actual travel to ports of call, formal nights have been the best part of cruising for my wife and I -- we love the shared experience of getting all "formal'd up", and (much like in the real world) getting dressed up formally and going to a place where people aren't dressed up just isn't as fun. Call me a snob, but I love the traditional experience -- and for the record, we're a thirty-something couple... which is probably the target market Celebrity is trying to reach with this move.

:mad::mad::mad:

I logged onto the website for the first time in forever because I felt the need to balance out the no-more-formal-nights lovefest going on here. I'm really shocked that so many people are happy about this change.

After the actual travel to ports of call, formal nights have been the best part of cruising for my wife and I -- we love the shared experience of getting all "formal'd up", and (much like in the real world) getting dressed up formally and going to a place where people aren't dressed up just isn't as fun. Call me a snob, but I love the traditional experience -- and for the record, we're a thirty-something couple... which is probably the target market Celebrity is trying to reach with this move.

Why would you be shocked? This is what passengers here and on other lines have been asking for and Celebrity has actually been one of the slower ones in responding to its customers' preference. Not all customers, but clearly the majority.