AMA Cruise booked

rahrah50

Just wanted to say thank you to this board and the river cruise info that is posted. Our group of 5 have booked our AMA Danube cruise for May of 2017. We all did the Viking China cruise and were sure we would use Viking again. So happy I read reviews and information here to realize that was probably not a good choice for us.

We did a cruise from Vilshofen to Budapest on the Ama Prima last August. We began the trip with 3 nights in Prague at the Old Town Hilton. Great trip. Highlights for us were Prague, Vienna and Budapest at night. The service was excellent. The only recommendation we would make is, if you are connecting through Frankfurt, allow at least 2 hours for the connection. The Frankfurt airport is huge.

AMA does it right. You're sure to love it! We leave for our 5th AMA cruise in June!

Good to hear! We are booked on AMA Legro Paris/Normandy this November. We were on Amadeus to the Christmas markets in 2014 and really enjoyed it so we are looking forward to trying AMA. It will be good to make a comparison.

Hi leaving on a AMA cruise in July! (GErmany). Could you tell me how dressy things are at night? Men wearing suits, sportscoats? I actually enjoy dressing up, but don't want to overdress!

Hi leaving on a AMA cruise in July! (GErmany). Could you tell me how dressy things are at night? Men wearing suits, sportscoats? I actually enjoy dressing up, but don't want to overdress!

Casual, think slacks and a nice shirt! Not a tie in sight! It will be hot in July ;)

Rahrah50, we have flown through both CDG and Frankfurt and we found CDG to be much more "user friendly" in our opinion. In addition to it's massive size Frankfurt also has an additional hurdle when landing in Germany and transferring to the Schengen countries (the rest of Europe) you must go through a 2nd immigration/customs checkpoint.

linkerbink, you'll have a great time. Monet's home and gardens, Honfleur and the Normandy beach area were all impressive. Normandy and the American Cemetery are truly awe inspiring sites.

The food and wines on Ama are outstanding.

There have been men in sportcoats and a few with ties on all of our AMA cruises. We like to dress for dinner and for special nights aboard I will wear an LBD with some bling or dressy slacks and tops. We are usually one of the more dressed up couples aboard any line we sail and we never feel out of place. The AMA ships are elegant and dressing up a bit for dinner and the evening makes it more special for us. YMMV.

We did a cruise from Vilshofen to Budapest on the Ama Prima last August. We began the trip with 3 nights in Prague at the Old Town Hilton. Great trip. Highlights for us were Prague, Vienna and Budapest at night. The service was excellent. The only recommendation we would make is, if you are connecting through Frankfurt, allow at least 2 hours for the connection. The Frankfurt airport is huge.

Ditto to what Dan said: We did this itinerary also - on the AmaSonata last September. We also liked the Old Town Hilton. We flew through Heathrow without a hitch. It was our second AMA cruise and the 3rd is booked for next September - Paris to Normandy. I hope you love your trip as much as we have loved ours.

Allyson

We are five widowed friends who often travel together. I feel so fortunate to have found these friends who love to travel as much as I do. We have been to Australia, River Cruise in China, and Baltic Cruise on Celebrity last May. We all loved the river cruising experience and I am sure we will love the Blue Danube Discovery by AMA. I am the researcher and planner for the group so I hover on the cruise critic site to learn all I can. Such a wealth of information!!!!

I just took my first River cruise on AMA last month:)..omg, it is May!

So, yes I sailed in April. Where has the time gone?

Anyway, the cruise was FANTASTIC and I wrote a long review on it.

Here is a link if you want to read it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2344645

I changed for dinner after being out for the day. Normally I wore a pair

of black pants (I brought a few different pairs) and a nice top. I can't

remember for sure but I don't recall seeing many of the men in jackets.

There have been men in sportcoats and a few with ties on all of our AMA cruises. We like to dress for dinner and for special nights aboard I will wear an LBD with some bling or dressy slacks and tops. We are usually one of the more dressed up couples aboard any line we sail and we never feel out of place. The AMA ships are elegant and dressing up a bit for dinner and the evening makes it more special for us. YMMV.

Not sure if you still cruising or not but I hope the trip has been awesome:)

linkerbink, you'll have a great time. Monet's home and gardens, Honfleur and the Normandy beach area were all impressive. Normandy and the American Cemetery are truly awe inspiring sites.

The food and wines on Ama are outstanding.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this trip. I will be going with my sister and BIL. Both he and I are WWII history buffs and are excited to be visiting the beaches. We are both Navy vets so it will be really meaningful to us. The food and wine part sounds good, too!:D

When you look down at the almost vertical cliffs at Pointe du Hoc and think about the brave Rangers who scaled and captured it while Germans rained machine gun fire and hand grenades down on them it makes you proud to be an American.

President Reagan delivered one of the best speeches of his career commemorating the anniversary of the invasion at that location.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a Budapest - Vilshofen cruise on Ama with a 3 day extension in Prague. fantastic!. The smaller cities like Bratislava, Durnstein and Cesky Krumlov were our favorite along the way. Budapest is beautiful at night but you need more time in Budapest and Vienna, they are so big but you get a nice taste.

We just returned from a Budapest - Vilshofen cruise on Ama with a 3 day extension in Prague. fantastic!. The smaller cities like Bratislava, Durnstein and Cesky Krumlov were our favorite along the way. Budapest is beautiful at night but you need more time in Budapest and Vienna, they are so big but you get a nice taste.

We particularly enjoyed the tour of the Melk Abbey!

Rahrah50, we have flown through both CDG and Frankfurt and we found CDG to be much more "user friendly" in our opinion. In addition to it's massive size Frankfurt also has an additional hurdle when landing in Germany and transferring to the Schengen countries (the rest of Europe) you must go through a 2nd immigration/customs checkpoint.

We had this happen when we flew Budapest to Munich to Chicago. We had to go through a customs checkpoint in Munich. I wonder if it's the case in all German airports.

We are sailing on Ama Serena June 26 Budapest to Vilshofen and would appreciate any recommendations! I'm sure we will love the smaller cities too. We always do! My husband and I sailed on Ama Legro Paris to Normandy two years ago and just loved everything. This time we are bringing our two college aged children. I can't believe it's just over a month away!

Scott and Teresa

We are sailing on Ama Serena June 26 Budapest to Vilshofen and would appreciate any recommendations! I'm sure we will love the smaller cities too. We always do! My husband and I sailed on Ama Legro Paris to Normandy two years ago and just loved everything. This time we are bringing our two college aged children. I can't believe it's just over a month away!

Scott and Teresa

We took the reverse route on the AmaSonata last September, with 3 days in Prague pre-cruise - loved it! Loved Cesky Krumlov and Melk Abbey. We are doing the Paris to Normandy cruise on the AmaLyra in September 2017. Any suggestions you have for that one?

Allyson

We are sailing on Ama Serena June 26 Budapest to Vilshofen and would appreciate any recommendations! I'm sure we will love the smaller cities too.

We sailed on AmaSerena 6 months ago and it was best river cruise ever! Gorgeous ship with an amazing staff. Enjoy!

We took the reverse route on the AmaSonata last September, with 3 days in Prague pre-cruise - loved it! Loved Cesky Krumlov and Melk Abbey. We are doing the Paris to Normandy cruise on the AmaLyra in September 2017. Any suggestions you have for that one?

Allyson

Claude Monet's home and gardens were spectacular. We also enjoyed our stops in Honfleur (At Apple Festival), Rouen and Caux-de-Bec.

The Normandy beaches, museum and American Cemetery were awe inspiring.