Mekong/ Siem Reap

deec

We will be on the Vantage river cruise on the Mekong and will go to Ankor Wat one of the optional tours is a late afternoon excursion in Ankor WAt

Make the short trip from your hotel to Wat Thmey, a beautiful local pagoda that holds memories from the oppressive Khmer Rouge regime. After a short visit, continue to 12th century Angkor Thom Complex, a grand remnant of the original Khmer Empire. Enjoy a glass of champagne as you take in the ancient ruins and their surroundings. Board a gondola and cruise along a canal in the complex, enjoying the tranquil scenery along the banks and recalling the glory days of the erstwhile empire. Listen to your oarsmen sing traditional Khmer songs as you travel by boat towards an ideal vantage point for the sunset. Enjoy wine and canapés as the sun sinks below the horizon and paints nearby Prasat Chhrung (Corner Temple) in warm hues. Return to the pier and transfer back to town where you’ll enjoy dinner at a local restaurant, an ideal coda to a wonderful experience.

does this sound like a great way to enjoy the area at sunset? or too pre-planned touristy?

It's touristy, crowded and wonderful at the same time. If this excursion is in addition to your spending all day in the temples, I wouldn't do it (unless it is included with dinner) since we were exhausted after a day in the steamy heat. Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Floridiana

I agree that if you already have had a full day tour, going back might be too much. Its very very hot and humid. Just getting in and out takes awhile from Siem Reap. The sunset there isn't all that special, although they like to promote it as such.

If that is the only chance you have to go, by all means don't miss it!!

If you will not otherwise see Angkor Thom I'd be tempted to go, but I wouldn't do it just for the sunset, especially if you've been in the heat all day.

You don't mention the time of year that you will be there, but generally being on or near the water at dusk is a great way to discover the local insect life, so although mosquitoes should not be an issue, there are plenty of other insects to become acquainted with :)

hi deec, it sounds magical however I'm in agreement with the posters above. We did a similar cruise/tour with Avalon this past January, it was very hot and after a visit to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom plus an arts & crafts place we were more than ready to return to the hotel, shower, cool down. Agreed, if this is your only chance to visit then I'd do it too, if not, I'd reconsider. Only my opinion.

Enjoy your travels, it's a wonderful experience.

Edited by suspaul

deec:

Are you on the Vantage Mekong trip that arrives Hanoi on 8 Nov 2016? Lyn & I are on that trip in conjunction with the immediately preceding Irrawaddy trip. These trips are so small that it is rare to find someone on CruiseCritic doing the same trip on the same date.

Thom

Thom,

We actually begin the "real" trip about November 4 so not on your sailing...We will do the pre-trip to Hong Kong. You will love the Irrawaddy trip. We did it December 2014...really wish they had offered the combined trip then....I am not looking forward to another LONG flight! Although by the end you may have had your fill of pagodas. We had a wonderful guide on the Irrawaddy....we really learned so much...he built on knowledge each day! the ship and crew were great! Hopefully the Mekong will be as interesting. We are going South to North and will end with the post-cruise to Halong Bay.

Thom,

We actually begin the "real" trip about November 4 so not on your sailing...We will do the pre-trip to Hong Kong. You will love the Irrawaddy trip. We did it December 2014...really wish they had offered the combined trip then....I am not looking forward to another LONG flight! Although by the end you may have had your fill of pagodas. We had a wonderful guide on the Irrawaddy....we really learned so much...he built on knowledge each day! the ship and crew were great! Hopefully the Mekong will be as interesting. We are going South to North and will end with the post-cruise to Halong Bay.

We should pass each other somewhere as you head North and we head South. I'm guessing that we will be boarding the boat the day you get off - leave it in good shape:p Doing the B2B makes the trip a little over a month, which is a stretch, but sure beats doing the long flights twice. We are arriving Bangkok two days early to see a few sights but mostly to allow jet lag recuperation. We finish Irrawaddy and arrive in Hanoi a day before the people who are doing just the N->S Mekong, so I'm figuring we will make a full day trip to Halong (I'd like to do several days on a boat there, but a day sounds doable).

Thom

I think we are in cabin 206 on the Mekong.

Can't remember the number on the Irrawaddy but it was french balcony not full. We did not do it but people loved the balloon ride in Bagan.

I did the Uniworld version of this excursion at sunrise, rather than sunset, and enjoyed it. The Corner Temple was empty when we got there, and there were good views of the countryside. The gondola was incredibly relaxing, and there was good shade as well as provided parasols.

I can't comment on what river life would be like in the afternoon vs the evening, but we didn't have problems with bugs/insects.