Celebrity Cruise Gratuity Increase from 14th June 2016

MR_T

Had to happen. You are no longer required to pay up front for Select so those who had to now won't tip at all! Guess who gets the burden? How many go to the desk and have had their tips removed upon boarding?

This has been happening for years. That's why the crew love Americans and those who are grateful for wonderful service.

This cruise line is now pushing the limits. The new program is terrible. They think they are "giving" you a perk:rolleyes:

Pat

Had to happen. You are no longer required to pay up front for Select so those who had to now won't tip at all! Guess who gets the burden? How many go to the desk and have had their tips removed upon boarding?

Pat

Why is a select diner any different from a traditional diner in removing tips?

Personally, I'd rather they leave the amount the same and make them unremovable across the board.

Americans are used to paying a gratuity and if you cruise regularly and you are from the UK you are also used to it. If I had the choice I would prefer to pay more for the cruise and tip as I see fit rather than this. I also agree that you shouldn't be able to take it off. It's not that the Brits and possibly everyone outside the US and Canada is mean it's just for us a gratuity is just that a tip - not a service charge.

Edited by hopeless holiday booker

As I read the announcement, it looks like the increase is about 55 cents per day. On a 14 day cruise that means you will have to pay an additional $8 per person. Maybe I am in the minority but for the hardworking staff an extra 55 cents per day seems like a bargain. And why wouldn't they expect to get a raise every year. If you are still working, don't you expect it? Maybe, you don't get that yearly salary adjustment but you expect it none the less.

If I choose to continue to cruise, then I am prepared to pay the cruise fare as well as pay for any additional features that I may want.

Barry

As I read the announcement, it looks like the increase is about 55 cents per day. On a 14 day cruise that means you will have to pay an additional $8 per person. Maybe I am in the minority but for the hardworking staff an extra 55 cents per day seems like a bargain. And why wouldn't they expect to get a raise every year. If you are still working, don't you expect it? Maybe, you don't get that yearly salary adjustment but you expect it none the less.

Barry

Yes, the crew works very hard so then why doesn't the cruise line pay them a fare salary and just include it in the price?

They just raised the gratuities last July (2015) from 12.00 to 12.95 and now less than a year later another .55 so thats $1.50 pp per day in just under 12 months. It does start to add up.

Yes, the crew works very hard so then why doesn't the cruise line pay them a fare salary and just include it in the price?

They just raised the gratuities last July (2015) from 12.00 to 12.95 and now less than a year later another .55 so thats $1.50 pp per day in just under 12 months. It does start to add up.

I makes little difference to me whether the tips/service charge is included in the cruise price or is a separate line item. But, I suspect if the gratuities were included in the fare, the cruise lines would round up.

But for us, the additional gratuity does not mean we will have any fewer drinks, or buy any fewer T shirts or enjoy ourselves any less. It is about perspective.

Barry

I makes little difference to me whether the tips/service charge is included in the cruise price or is a separate line item. But, I suspect if the gratuities were included in the fare, the cruise lines would round up.

But for us, the additional gratuity does not mean we will have any fewer drinks, or buy any fewer T shirts or enjoy ourselves any less. It is about perspective.

Barry

Rated: 1++

Thank you.

bon voyage

If I choose to continue to cruise, then I am prepared to pay the cruise fare as well as pay for any additional features that I may want.

Barry

The increase in the past year is 12%- I don't know of any one that has gotten a 12% raise in the last year.

Yes, the vast majority of the crew work very hard and we normally tip extra I think it is time for the cruises lines to build gratuities into the cost of the cruise.

This has been happening for years. That's why the crew love Americans and those who are grateful for wonderful service.

This cruise line is now pushing the limits. The new program is terrible. They think they are "giving" you a perk:rolleyes:

Pat

Has absolutely nothing to do with the prior procedure of pre tipping. The tipping is exactly the same for Select and Traditional, it is put on your bill on a daily basis.

The increase in the past year is 12%- I don't know of any one that has gotten a 12% raise in the last year.

Yes, the vast majority of the crew work very hard and we normally tip extra I think it is time for the cruises lines to build gratuities into the cost of the cruise.

Where I work we are considered lucky if we get a 2% raise a year. Mostly 1% and there have been years where we get 0.

It's time they add it in to the cruise price like Port Charges, just add Service Charge and be done with it. That way no one can take it off their cruise account and people wishing to tip extra when sailing can do so using the envelopes.

Don't they apply the same tips regardless of whether you choose select or traditional dining? I thought all tips were charged once onboard.

They are charged once you are on board however you can voluntarily pre pay and of course many get the tips with their perks.

Where I work we are considered lucky if we get a 2% raise a year. Mostly 1% and there have been years where we get 0.

It's time they add it in to the cruise price like Port Charges, just add Service Charge and be done with it. That way no one can take it off their cruise account and people wishing to tip extra when sailing can do so using the envelopes.

I would love to see it rolled into the price but the problem is once its done people will start tipping and the same conversation will happen in five years. This has previously happened on some cruise lines.

Edited by dkjretired

I would love to see it rolled into the price but the problem is once its done people will start tipping and the same conversation will happen in five years. This has previously happened on some cruise lines.

I agree with this 100%. If the tips are included in the price then not only will some feel the NEED to give more but the crew will EXPECT it and forget about the fact that it was included in the fare. If won't take long before you will be considered to have "stiffed" the crew if you don't give that extra tip.

I agree with this 100%. If the tips are included in the price then not only will some feel the NEED to give more but the crew will EXPECT it and forget about the fact that it was included in the fare. If won't take long before you will be considered to have "stiffed" the crew if you don't give that extra tip.

But the way it is now people are allowed to remove them totally and not pay anything to the crew. That's really stiffing them.

I have only "stiffed" the crew once. In other words did not tip extra.

I really don't get it anymore. Yes the crews do expect a little something extra. I have a cruise coming up and prepaid my tips, it was160+ for just me. I don't know what to think about tipping anymor[emoji857]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk