Why, yes. You can iron your clothes onboard!

marti2282

Saw this Huffington Post article and immediately thought about cruisers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/iron-clothes-with-hair-straightener_n_1812502.html

Wonder if this is why MSC has banned flat irons!

Flat irons are banned on MSC? What if you promise to only use them on your hair? I don't get this at all. Will they follow suit with banning curling irons??

According to this post on the MSC board...

"Hi

I'm going on a MSC cruise 20th May and MSC have confirmed no heated hair appliances are allowed on the ship. How on earth will I manage without my GHDS!

To say im not happy is a understatement to say the least !"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356610

"Hi

I'm going on a MSC cruise 20th May and MSC have confirmed no heated hair appliances are allowed on the ship. How on earth will I manage without my GHDS!

No heated hair appliances, would that cover blow dryers? I hate the blow dryers the cruise lines provide and always bring my own. I have thick, frizzy hair so I need the Ionic blow dryers.

And that would be convenient, too. :p

Haha I know... that actually wouldn't be fun at all, but maybe better than nothing if someone is desperate.

Almost all flat irons are made with auto shut-off features now. Why not inspect them at embarkation? (Not trying to make the lines longer, lol.)

I can certainly understand that the cruise lines are trying to minimize any fire hazards, and I have to admit I wonder why flat irons would not be banned for the same reason as clothing irons, as both would get hot enough to potentially cause a fire. Even curling irons could be a problem under the right conditions.

Perhaps they need to go back to the good old days and have a separate room on each floor with a row of mirrors and electrical outlets so that women can do their hair.

"Hi

Not to worry. Just recently debarked from an MSC cruise. Brought a curling iron + a hair dryer (which I didn't need as I used theirs the whole trip). NO PROBLEM!

Celebrity allows flat irons assuming they are hair straighteners - from their website:

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

• Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

• Sharp objects, including knives and scissors*

• Illegal drugs and substances

• Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)

• Electrical extension cords

• Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows

• Skateboards and surfboards

• Martial-arts gear

• Aerial drones

• Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks

• Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid

• Explosives, including fireworks

• Hookahs & water hookah pipes

• Ham radios

• Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint

• Alcoholic beverages** (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing.)

If you have a question about an item you wish to take on board your cruise, please contact our reservations team.

* Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blades less than four inches are allowed.

** Two bottles of wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

X may have a list of banned items that could potentially start a fire, but they can never underestimate their guests' ingenuity. ;)

On our Silhouette Med cruise last October while we were in port one day, someone who had a riding scooter decided to recharge the battery. Apparently the cord from the battery that plugs into the electrical socket at the vanity desk wouldn't reach. So they took the battery out of the scooter placed it on the upholstered chair in front of the vanity, plugged it in, and left the room. Well the battery eventually got so hot it burned a hole through the chair and fell onto the carpet, which then burned too, setting off the smoke detectors and causing the fire doors on the floor to close trapping some guests in their cabins. Those guests had to call the Guest Relations desk which then sent staff out to rescue them via their verandas.