Alaskan Cruise Seattle to Vancouver - Exiting the USA

carlton3

Hi everyone

Booked to travel to Alaska on Celebrity Solstice this fall, departing Seattle on September 2 and finishing in Vancouver on September 9. Hoping someone can help me understand when I will be recorded as having exited the United States. Will this happen on September 2 when the ship departs Seattle, when it leaves the last Alaskan port (Skagway) on September 6, or when arriving and/or disembarking in Canada?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone

Booked to travel to Alaska on Celebrity Solstice this fall, departing Seattle on September 2 and finishing in Vancouver on September 9. Hoping someone can help me understand when I will be recorded as having exited the United States. Will this happen on September 2 when the ship departs Seattle, when it leaves the last Alaskan port (Skagway) on September 6, or when arriving and/or disembarking in Canada?

Thanks in advance!

There will be no formal notification that you have left the good old USA . If you stop in Victoria , you'll clear Canadian Customs . They will give you a declaration form that is submitted to Customer service 48 hours before arriving in Victoria . When you disembark in Vancouver there will be no customs agents. The next contact with US Customs will be at YVR or land crossing going home. US and Canadian customs exchange information on people crossing the Canada/US border.

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply Kamloops50 😊

I was trying to simplify my situation but probably should've mentioned that I'm an Australian citizen. I'll be in the USA on a J1 visa that expires September 4, hence my need to know what day I'll be recorded as leaving. If it's not until arriving in Canada then I'll be overstaying my visa which is obviously something I don't want to do. I have the option to change to a B1/B2 visa by visiting Canada or Mexico prior to the cruise (which I've done before) but just didn't want to if it isn't necessary. Looks like I'll keep researching!

Thanks again!