What was your first costa cruise

RMS Olympic

I was wondering if anyone on this board sailed on Costa way before Carnival bought the line?

My first was on the Carla C, before her refit and renaming to Carla Costa. The crew sang a song....Carla C C C Carla C C C.......:rolleyes:

Almost sailed the Flavia but she left Florida before I could book. Regret not sailing the Marina and the Alegra when they first started sailing. Anyone out there have memories of these ships?

Back in the day when the crew was Italian......

• 3 months later...

The Romantica before she was glammed up. 14 night Indian Ocean sailing with calls in Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Reunion. It was an amazing experience and te first cruise I'd done where they stayed in port for several days and nights.

• 4 months later...
I was wondering if anyone on this board sailed on Costa way before Carnival bought the line?

My first was on the Carla C, before her refit and renaming to Carla Costa. The crew sang a song....Carla C C C Carla C C C.......:rolleyes:

Almost sailed the Flavia but she left Florida before I could book. Regret not sailing the Marina and the Alegra when they first started sailing. Anyone out there have memories of these ships?

Back in the day when the crew was Italian......

Bilge Rat on deck. You can run passage ways of past with Bilge! My first cruise ship was SS Flavia 1971, sailed on Carla C C C 1987. Have been in swimming pool of SS Bianca C on the bottom (Grenada) 100+ depth.

See you on the Jade, 3 weeks.

Nexttimeclub & Bilge

So you were on the Flavia.....I have oh so many questions....be prepared to tell all. As for the Bianca, I thought she was stunning externally...forward superstructure to die for. Oh so much to ask.

Look forward to meeting you on the Jade aka Hawaian 5-O👹

Tom aka Bertha

So you were on the Flavia.....I have oh so many questions....be prepared to tell all. As for the Bianca, I thought she was stunning externally...forward superstructure to die for. Oh so much to ask.

Look forward to meeting you on the Jade aka Hawaian 5-O👹

Tom aka Bertha

This is nexttimeclub. We dove the Bianca C 2 times. We sailed on Classica '92, Victoria '98 & 2001. I have a souvenir tile from the pool - don't tell. Small story from Flavia. I was given an ash tray on the Carla C, in memory of Bilge's old girlfriend. Crew laughed about it all week!

PS from Bilge - We can compare life's geography. You have already received samples. Probably take more than a 7 day cruise to get through all of it. Limited to what we can say on site, plus the while world doesn't need to know.

I think it's going to be fun meeting you. Removed myself from the roll call.

Your 4 legged friend, Bilge

Sailed Carla in 1984...she was worn out but fun. Classics, did her maiden voyage and loved everything about her. Would love to sail Costa again but the ships are no longer Costa but Carnival....but admit I am sniffing around the bro collection. By the way I watched a dive video on the Bianca....really fun to watch. See ya on the Jade...will try to board early and then have lunch, maybe see you and rat checking out the cheese platter 🧀

Flavia C way back in 1967, then Daphne in the 80,s followed by the Riviera mid-80,s, huge gap then until we went on the Romantica (2000)which was fabulous ship, the mini-suites on deck 11 were probably the best cabins we have ever had, making todays so called suites look drab.

Prior to 2009 Costa was without doubt had the best food of any line, since the Concordia standards have dropped dramatically, even though we still enjoy the multi cultures we now cruise other lines more than before.

Edited by tenpin

Daphne....always wished I had sailed her. I saw her in St Lucia just after s major refit and a new paint job, she looked fabulous. Romantica, sailed her inaugural and loved her... Was planning on going on her again as the neo romantics but she is off to China. So I guess it's the Neo Classica or the Neo Riviera to be considered.

We didn't try Costa until we moved to Spain. Our first Costa cruise was on the Luminosa, for a short break in 2012, to see if we liked it, Loved it, and been with Costa every year since, with an occasional sailing with Princess. Happy Cruising, :)

Funny how you remember different ships, Costa have this habit of moving or selling what I call their best ships. Loved the old Romantica but not keen on the Neo Romantica, perhaps this was because we cruised on her again just after the re-fit & branding.

Adored the old Tropicale & also Europa, went back on Europa after Thomson turned it into the Dream totally different atmosphere, see they have changed it again, now looks like a different ship.

Hated the Diadema which now seems to have taken over the 'Med' in winter doing seven day cruises only. Matter of choice I guess.

Done every one except the Favolosa & Luminosa which is booked for next year. Then back to Princess till the new Costa ships come out.

Edited by tenpin

That Costa separates itself from the Carnival influence and design ships true to Costa. Do plan on sailing either the Luminosa or Deliziosa in 2018, but might consider the neo riviera. I went back and checked my Costa book to see when I sailed the old Riviera...it was 1990. Not sure if Palumbo was the master at that time but I do remember the Captain of the Riviera in 1990 was the same Captain that was in command of the Cala C in 1984. We spent much time on the bridge of both ships....he hated the Riviera and almost cried when he spoke of his love for the Carla.....I was truly moved.

Wish I could experience the "old Costa".

The Costa Europa was mentioned.....would have enjoyed sailing her under the Costa flag as I sailed that vessel on her inaugural with Home lines....oh the stories from that sailing !!!!

Memories...better than collecting stuff.

You made me think of the Costa book. Have not dug it out. Do have list of Costa cruises:Carla C '87, Rivera '88, Classica '92, Victoria '98 & '01, Magic '06, & Mediterranea '06.

Remember the Pony glasses of Vodka served with the Cavier? The section waiter who prepared dessert at each of his tables during cruise. Pygmy nuggets, yum.

On Carla C, pull cord in tub. Accidentally touch & the room stewardess would fly into the room, each time. Don't forget the toga parties. Sitting at the bar, one could hear bingo being called in how many languages.

Edited by nexttimeclub
add

Talking of the 'Old Costa'

What about that wonderful pasta cooked in front of us in the MDR's.

The food carvings in the doorway leading into MDR's

Just dug out a menu from 1988, 5 starters, two soups, three pastas, six main courses five deserts, plus ice cream & cheese followed by coffees.

Also a choice of three anytime choice, steak, salmon, chicken with Fries, Jacket or mash.

And no Service charges unless you were pleased with waiters/stewards.

My first Linea C (Costa) ship was then the already ex-Eugenio C. and no ship has ever since been able to create the unique atmosphere that ship had on board. It was a real legend.

First Costa cruise per se? I think it was Fortuna not that long ago. Liked Fortuna... Allegra was nice and Classica reminded me a bit of Eugenio and Federico (ships I knew well as a child)

Have some menus and daily programmes in my private collection. Federico on the old days had about 40 choices on a lunch menu... nowadays... gone were the days as well of the pantry along the corridor, where one could get a juice, fruit, perhaps coffee or tea at odd hours... the steward which could be called to bring some tea or coffee, or get some item ironed, etc... all gone.

It was the Italian crew that made everything unique, special and welcoming. It was the same on Sitmar and Home lines in my opinion. My early Princess cruises found Brits throughout the ship but Italians in the dining room. Italian service I miss. Had hoped to find it on MSC but did not. I wish Costa was truly Italian like it once was. Now to plan my September 2018 Costa Cruise. Neo Classica , Neo Riviera, Luminosa or Deliziosa? Any suggestions or thoughts on picking the ship...the ship is more important than the itinerary. In the meantime I hope Costas financial position post Concordia disaster improves so that Costa can up its service and food once again.

Ciao for now.

Tom

I tend to agree with you on the Italian crew but perhaps then rather than now. MSC Fantasia recently had Italians on the restaurant. Sure it was nice but not as it was on Eugenio or even Enrico.

Princess had a lot of Italians in the crew, probably because they started with Italian vessels (Carla and Italia)

September 2018: I quite liked Costa Classica but it is a bit 'dark' inside (somehow not much natural light in certain areas) but nice. More of a feeling of Costa as it once was. I also liked Luminosa but then again I quite like that platform (same as Queen Elizabeth) with the wrap around promenade deck, etc. Will be sailing on Deliziosa in a few days. Expecting it to be similar to Luminosa. Really liked Mediterranea (definitely over the top in the decor but in a playful, not overwhelming, way

• 1 year later...