Klaksvic, Faroe Islands

We will be on Crystal Symphony in July on a cruise from Amsterdam to London which includes Iceland. We are scheduling a tour of the Faroe Islands on the day we are in port in Klaksvik. The fee for the tour must be paid in advance and there is no refund if the ship can not dock. For those who may have been on cruises that included this port what are the chances that the ship may not be able to dock? I know the weather and seas are not predictable inn that part of the world. Thank you.

The run into port is through some narrow channels between islands, so I suspect if it is a particulalrly rough day docking could be a problem.

There isn't much in Klaksvig. The centre is a 10-15 minute walk from ship and the whole place leaves you wondering what it would be like to live there permanently.

Thank you. We have heard that there is not much to see in the town. We would like to take the tour we are in the process of arranging but are concerned about the non refundable payment.

Hello,

I couldn't help but add my 2 cents worth. We were here a couple of years ago, and cruised into Klaksvik no problem during rainy weather ... No - I take that back, we DID have a problem, when the communications tower of our ship (RCL) hit the power cable strung between 2 of the islands on our way in! The local harbor master was on-board, and the ship had previously cruised in the prior month with no problems. I gather that the tide was exceptionally high that day. But our ship was able to be repaired in Iceland, and we WEREN'T stranded in the Faroe Islands!

I coordinated a group tour through our roll call participants with 62N Tours. I did a LOT of research in advance, and this was just when cruise ships were starting to visit the Faroes. The tour company owner created a full-day tour (which I gather is now sort of a "standard" tour for cruisers.) Same policy, non-refundable deposit unless no docking. You won't be disappointed. Great tour, lots to see, avoided the cruise ship busses, and our tour included lunch at a traditional restaurant. The weather was rainy that morning, but it cleared up later. The rain contributed to lots of waterfalls cascading down the cliffs to the sea and we got some very dramatic photos. Most of the folks on my tour raved about the entire experience!

I hope you enjoy this port. You can search for my posts here that might answer your questions about our particular tour and what was visited.

Just recently saw an episode of "Bizarre Foods" with Andrew Zimmern and so, no, this isn't a first hand account but I don't know how many of them you'll get just yet, hence why I post this....(it IS the Travel Channel!)

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/bizarre-foods/video/andrew-s-top-5-faroe-islands

What a beautiful, fascinating place this was to see! And indeed, some bizarre (to us) food but when one understands the culture and geographic conditions of the islands - well, it's why the food is what it is. Lots of history surrounding these people, culture and islands, thus when faced with the possibility of a visit it would seem to me almost irresistible ;)

Perhaps the deciding factors might be: is the amount of money too much to lose, what are the factors that cause this port call to be cancelled...how probable are these factors to occur? Given that any port can theoretically be cancelled on any cruise and weather can go awry too....all one can do is go anyway although yes, refunds and cruise lines are generally making accommodations so this situation is unique but then so to are the Faroe Islands.

They say "everything is negotiable" so if you really want to go and the cost is an issue, maybe write and see if a compromise is possible on a potential refund in the event of a cancellation due to the inability to dock...you never know. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 11 months later...
Hello,

I couldn't help but add my 2 cents worth. We were here a couple of years ago, and cruised into Klaksvik no problem during rainy weather ... No - I take that back, we DID have a problem, when the communications tower of our ship (RCL) hit the power cable strung between 2 of the islands on our way in! The local harbor master was on-board, and the ship had previously cruised in the prior month with no problems. I gather that the tide was exceptionally high that day. But our ship was able to be repaired in Iceland, and we WEREN'T stranded in the Faroe Islands!

I coordinated a group tour through our roll call participants with 62N Tours. I did a LOT of research in advance, and this was just when cruise ships were starting to visit the Faroes. The tour company owner created a full-day tour (which I gather is now sort of a "standard" tour for cruisers.) Same policy, non-refundable deposit unless no docking. You won't be disappointed. Great tour, lots to see, avoided the cruise ship busses, and our tour included lunch at a traditional restaurant. The weather was rainy that morning, but it cleared up later. The rain contributed to lots of waterfalls cascading down the cliffs to the sea and we got some very dramatic photos. Most of the folks on my tour raved about the entire experience!

I hope you enjoy this port. You can search for my posts here that might answer your questions about our particular tour and what was visited.

We were on this cruise as well! Horrible accident-hope the injured crew member came through alright....

We were on this cruise as well! Horrible accident-hope the injured crew member came through alright....

This is an older post, but I was also on this cruise-quite an adventure!! I took a photo of the repair being done in Iceland.

This is an older post, but I was also on this cruise-quite an adventure!! I took a photo of the repair being done in Iceland.

Despite the accident, it was probably one of the more "exotic" sail-ins of our travels.... The fog and the pyramid shaped grassy hills protruding from the dark seas was a captivating sight. Felt as if we were totally alone. Loved it!!