Day stop at the docks

Catkin1111

Any tips for overcrowded docks when cruise liners stops for the day and thousands of people disembark their ships?

I have visions of long disorganised queues and passengers queue jumping when landing at a destination! :(

I am not sure about joining the mob and would prefer staying on the ship but there must be a better way to see the new port?

Edited by Catkin1111

There can be a rush in the first 30 minutes or so. You could always just wait 30-60 minutes before you get off.

That being said, the cruise lines do this every day, year around. While there can always be hang-ups (remember, people are involved), generally things go pretty well.

Most queuing as you disembark for the day is rather orderly. That depends on the country. If you have ship full of people from cultures where pushing and shoving is the norm, it could be a big problem. Most cruising isn't like that and people getting off for the day usually have a sense of where they are going or how to find their tour group leaders or company.

Any tips for overcrowded docks when cruise liners stops for the day and thousands of people disembark their ships?

I have visions of long disorganised queues and passengers queue jumping when landing at a destination! :(

I am not sure about joining the mob and would prefer staying on the ship but there must be a better way to see the new port?

I've not yet experienced anything like this. The closest situation would probably be Nassau, a common port for many ships cruising in the Eastern Caribbean. It's not uncommon to have two ships docked on opposite sides of the pier at the same time. However, they typically don't dock at exactly the same time, nor disembark at exactly the same time, so there isn't an issue with long queues or large crowds on the dock.

Thanks for your advice.

Well, this is in Bergen, we have one docked at 8am, 9am and 12pm. the 8am one is the 3000 passenger ship. All docked fairly close to one another. Seems a lot for a small port.

Edited by Catkin1111

You will find that it is very well organized confusion and everyone is heading in one direction, just go with the flow. What you are going to have in Bergin is nothing compared with a port such as Skagway, Alaska when 4 ships are in port and the town has a permanent population of less than 1,000, everyone survives.

The docks are not that bad. I've been in port with 5 other ships and had no problem-because the other ships arrive at different times.

The worst case was Belize. There were four ships total. You have to tender in Belize and the large tenders toe up at different docks for different ships-so far so good. The problem is that at the end of those docks ia a large plaza where everyone gathers to go out to tours or to shop etc. We were in a tour group and had to work our way through the vast sea of people. It took a lot of work to keep focused on the tour leader as we went through the crush. But, we made it.

As susal, returning was no problem as the crush was over and, although crowded, it was not as crazy as the morning.

reassuring, thanks.

I'll be okay, its just that we have two people in our group in their mid-80's, needing walking sticks.

Best to wait for one ship to decant and before the 12pm ship arrives to avoid getting caught up in the crush!

It's really not that bad--and we've had six ships in port at one time. Waiting an hour or so will get rid of most of the crowds, but even at the most popular time you should be fine. Not everyone on all the ships get off at the same time.

Tender ports can be tougher, with sometimes long lines to get on or off the tenders, and of course with elderly person, harder to get on the tender, or off, though the crew helps.

The most crowded I've ever seen a port is St. Thomas with 8 ships. There were so many in one time, some had to anchor in both inner and outer harbor and tender. Main Street Charlotte Amalie was shoulder to shoulder people. :)

We'll stay on the ship till most have left then. I did think being first off would avoid the mass exodus but with your advice, we'll stay till on board till they've gone!

Yes, we have to care for the older folks with us but it the thought of huge crowds of people does put me off. I work in the city and my holidays are usually getting away and going somewhere peaceful.

So, cruising is new to me. It does seem that everyone is herded from one place to another and no getting away.

Ah well, it is still out of the office and most of all - the old folks with us will enjoy cruising (their first time too).

For me it will be out of the office :cool: A big BUT....i've been told one has to dress smart .... I have a feeling...that I may have to pack my work clothes :(

Edited by Catkin1111

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I use a walker/rollator and we just wait until most of the tours are off the ship, then we heard a shore.

There are times when several tours get back to the ship at the same time. Again we just sit down somewhere and wait until the majority of those people are back on the ship.

reassuring, thanks.

I'll be okay, its just that we have two people in our group in their mid-80's, needing walking sticks.

Best to wait for one ship to decant and before the 12pm ship arrives to avoid getting caught up in the crush!

Just a suggestion here...

For people with any mobility the real problems when you arrive at port isn't the crowds, it's often the half mile or so that you have hike from ship to the terminal gate. This is often in sweltering heat if you are in the Caribbean.

Some ports have may have assistance but not all.

My suggestion is get lightweight folding wheelchairs, the able bodied can push and you will all get where you are going faster. This way your elderly relatives will have more energy to enjoy the day.

As others have said, if you wait for the initial rush to pass you can walk on and off the ship with no wait at all.

Have a great cruise

While European ports are more "dressy" than ones in the Caribbean, you need not bring 'work' clothes. In the Caribbean shorts and tee shirts are the norm. In most Europe ports, slacks or jeans or capris are more common. It is more respectful in churches and historic buildings as well as more comfortable. Very rare to see men in shorts except tourists. Just my experiences. Plus Northern Europe (it sounds like that is your cruise) it can be a bit chilly even in summer.