are Delux Canapes actually edible

Loreni

Just off the Grand Princess( 10 day Alaskan) and we were in a suite. The canapés sat for hours before we got back to our cabin - we were afraid to eat them. First formal night we received chocolate covered strawberries and corsages, second formal night a platter of white and dark chocolates arrived.

It would be nice if they abandoned all the canapés for those chocolates or at least had an option to order them instead.:D

Just off the Grand Princess( 10 day Alaskan) and we were in a suite. The canapés sat for hours before we got back to our cabin - we were afraid to eat them. First formal night we received chocolate covered strawberries and corsages, second formal night a platter of white and dark chocolates arrived.

Oh dear! What time was the delivery supposed to be? Have ordered Choc Dipped Strawberries and Chilled Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce (from memory) for my 1st night aboard. I will, if it's held in Australia-unsure about this-be going to the Platinum/Elite/Suite function, would be good to have an idea of when the Canapes are likely to be delivered so I can be there-newbie cruiser so on a VERY steep learning curve, made easier by much sharing of information by other cruisers. I wouldn't have thought about the canapés being left at room temperature for hours-have Anytime Dining so could work something out. Is the Room Steward likely to know when the canapés should be delivered-I'm happy to be waiting in the Suite.

I will try them once and see, but my expectations are modest. The actual ingredients don't sound bad at all.

But, I am concerned about food safety. Something like cheese and crackers would be better, because cheese actually tastes better at room temperature and I personally do not have concerns about eating room temperature cheese. DH needs gluten-free food, so I hope they are willing to substitute a cheese plate...it is less expensive on the room service menu than the Delux Canapes, so maybe they will allow this.

The food safety concern is real. We dine early and did not want room service showing up while we were dressing for formal night and so requested them for later in the evening. If our plans changed and we were delayed in returning to the cabin, the plate of canapés sitting there stunk up the whole cabin.

If the strawberries aren't to return, we would be pleased with a choice of cheese and crackers or a few cookies or a few chocolates. Those can't be any more expensive to prepare than the current canapés.

I think the Princess strategy is to reduce the quality of the canapés so much that people simply stop ordering them (and it seems to be working). It's like the Elite amenities...there is nothing they offer in that one (regardless of how many days the cruise is or how many cruises we'll be doing B2B) gold mesh bag that allows me to leave any of my own toiletries at home. It's a perk in name only.

Not that you asked but the canapes are also gone from the Captains repeater party. (not that they were any good to really care about) ;)

We were served nice little tasty bites at our Captain's Circle party on the Crown last week, in addition to a choice of drinks. Not very strong, but enough to make me sleepy as I also had taken bonine! It was a fairly small turn out though, as so many on the Alaska run are blue cards.

We've been Elite for four years and other than the chocolate covered strawberries and the profiteroles which are both gone, there is nothing worth eating.

Only four items remain on the current list for elites on formal evenings.

Nothing anymore for vegetarians or vegans.

I will try them once and see, but my expectations are modest. The actual ingredients don't sound bad at all.

But, I am concerned about food safety. Something like cheese and crackers would be better, because cheese actually tastes better at room temperature and I personally do not have concerns about eating room temperature cheese. DH needs gluten-free food, so I hope they are willing to substitute a cheese plate...it is less expensive on the room service menu than the Delux Canapes, so maybe they will allow this.

I too prefer the cheese & cracker plate. I at times just get it at IC.

No canapes for us either! They really are not good. Bring back the chocolate covered strawberries.

If you want chocolate covered strawberries, sail on NCL. Everytime they screwed up, which was often, they brought strawberries and wine, even if we didn't complain. We had more strawberries than we could eat and so many bottles of wine we left them behind.

You can't count on the order coming at the time you request. We had to throw out everything except the strawberries because they delivered them after we had already left for dinner. I did not want to risk eating something that was sitting at room temp. I doubt I'll bother ordering them on our next cruise. DH can't eat the strawberries, so even if we got lucky and were able to order them, I don't need to eat that much chocolate.

You can't count on the order coming at the time you request. We had to throw out everything except the strawberries because they delivered them after we had already left for dinner. I did not want to risk eating something that was sitting at room temp. I doubt I'll bother ordering them on our next cruise. DH can't eat the strawberries, so even if we got lucky and were able to order them, I don't need to eat that much chocolate.
Maybe we have been lucky but I can't remember a time when the canapés didn't come within the requested window, whether in a suite or on formal nights as Elite. We are early diners and typically request an early delivery while we are in the cabin getting ready so this might be why. However, one or two times our TA gifted us the canapés on embarkation and they were in the cabin before we got there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums