Oh those silly newbie ?'s... like this One!

McWeeOne

Okay... very first cruise EVER.... and I'm full of questions... I have booked on the Royal Princess Southern Carribean Medley in February, and I am flying in to Fort Lauderdale from Toronto the day before.... Here is some of my questions:

Embarking... I see that there is a recommended time for my deck, (it's at 2:30pm) is this a steadfast rule, or can I show up earlier? I'll be taking a cab from my hotel, what is the luggage procedure? Should I be jumping immediately in line to reserve spots for the specialty dinning? As well as the cabanas by the adult pool? I don't want to miss out because I didnt line up!

Is it very difficult to get sun chairs? I don't want to play the chair game!

Can someone please be kind enough to tell me how anytime dining actually works? Can I just show up at either anytime restaurants and be seated? Or is there a ballpark time they want you there, and a specific one they assign to you? I'm a bit confused from some of the posts I've read...

I want to sincerely thank you in advance for any answers, I just want to feel a little more confident in that I know what I'm doing lol :D

So far in my experience, but not at Fort Lauderdale, boarding times have been a suggestion, not hard rule.

We enjoyed the wide variety of included dining so much, we never bothered with the specialty restaurants.

Regarding Anytime dining: the daily newsletter will print a schedule each day of all the dining room times. On our recent trip, out of 3 dining rooms, 1 was only traditional, another was early traditional, then switched to anytime at 7:15, and a third was open seating from 5:15 until 9:15 or so. Some people like to make reservations, but we never did. We were always seated withing 5 minutes, sometimes at a shared table and sometimes just the 4 of us. I know others had experienced longer waits on different trips.

Since you are newbies, I would encourage you to focus on discovering the many included features of the ship, and maybe save the added fee things like cabanas for another time.

Okay... very first cruise EVER.... and I'm full of questions... I have booked on the Royal Princess Southern Carribean Medley in February, and I am flying in to Fort Lauderdale from Toronto the day before.... Here is some of my questions:

Embarking... I see that there is a recommended time for my deck, (it's at 2:30pm) is this a steadfast rule, or can I show up earlier? I'll be taking a cab from my hotel, what is the luggage procedure? Should I be jumping immediately in line to reserve spots for the specialty dinning? As well as the cabanas by the adult pool? I don't want to miss out because I didnt line up!

Can someone please be kind enough to tell me how anytime dining actually works? Can I just show up at either anytime restaurants and be seated? Or is there a ballpark time they want you there, and a specific one they assign to you? I'm a bit confused from some of the posts I've read...

I want to sincerely thank you in advance for any answers, I just want to feel a little more confident in that I know what I'm doing lol :D

I say show up close to boarding time if you can. I haven't cruised from that Port but have never seen anyone turned away.

Never had a problem getting a deck chair, but that again may be different from cruises in your part of the world.

You've get ATD down pat, show up when you want, if there isn't a table try the other restaurant, if you can't get seated right away, they will give you a pager so you can go and have a drink.

At Ft Lauderdale, boarding usually begins about 11:30am, and they board priority first, then everyone else ie Wedding parties, Elite, Platinum, Bon Voyage folks, then everyone else in order they arrived. You can arrive anytime you like just know if you're early, you'll have to wait for the priority folks find. We are elite, but generally don't bother to arrive till about 12:30/1, as we're nor fans of sitting around in the terminal, we prefer to show up, check-in and board in one smooth move. Tour mileage may vary.

Luggage - your taxi will take you right to the ship embarkation area. There will be porters who work for the port, who will take your checked baggage right there and it will be delivered to your cabin shortly after, usually at least before dinner. The porters will have additional luggage tags if you need them, and ensure your bags get onboard. It is customary to tip these hard workers, a couple dollars a bag or whatever you're comfortable with.

You then take your carry-ons with you (valuables, medications, etc), go through security, go to check-in area, get cruise cards, then board!

We've never had a problem getting a specialty dining reservation on any of our Princess sailings. But we're also quite flexible in our dining times. If you have a specific date and time you want, head to the maitre ' table, usually near the specialty dining restaurants, and make your reservation.

Sanctuary - adults only area, $40 per day or $20 per half day or $30 per day if booked for whole cruise. This is first come first served so hustle up to the Sanctuary first thing if you're interested - and if you're interested, a food reason to board early. The cabanas by the Retreat pool are also on a first come first serve basis, but I have yet to see these be very popular, they're usually empty. Their more expensive than the Sanctuary chairs, but a little less than the Sanctuary cabanas...

AnyTime dining works just like a land based restaurant. You can show up at the AnyTime dining rooms at whatever time you like during their open hours and you'll be seated on a first come first served basis. If there's a wait, they usually give you a beeper that will light up when it's your turn. Some maitre 'ds will take reservations, some won't. Your mileage may vary. Dining room hours are generally 5:30-9:30, give or take a half hour either side. Hours for each dining room will be clearly posted in the daily Patter (daily newsletter with all the daily and nightly activities, shows, dining options, sales, etc).

Hope that helps!! Enjoy your first cruise.

Edited by reedprincess

...Can someone please be kind enough to tell me how anytime dining actually works? Can I just show up at either anytime restaurants and be seated? Or is there a ballpark time they want you there, and a specific one they assign to you? I'm a bit confused from some of the posts I've read...
Only one DR, Symphony midship on Plaza deck will be open for early anytime dining. If you get there within the first half hour after it opens you should have little wait. If the Maitre D' allows early reservations it will probably only be for the first half hour. At about 7:30 the Concerto DR, midship on Fiesta deck will change from early TD to anytime dining. With two anytime DR's open after about 7:30 there should be few waits after then.

In addition to the Specialty restaurants, Sabatini's and the Crown Grill, in the Horizon Court Buffet an area will be set aside at night and the Crab Shack and possibly Fondues will be offered several evenings during the cruise. All of those now cost $29/person. Another opting might be the Winemaker's Dinner offered several times during the cruise. Price was $40/person but with the current increase in the price of specialty dining that may have increased. There should be a table set up outside the Crown Grill where you can make reservations for all of these options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A suggestion is to make sure your luggage tags are on your bags before leaving the hotel. And, have your passport, boarding pass and tip out or quickly available before leaving the taxi. Once the taxi rolls up to the drop off area, things happen very fast. Porters will be right there to whip away your luggage and you'll need your passport and boarding pass before you enter the terminal.

I have been on this cruise and you should enjoy it.

Embarking... I see that there is a recommended time for my deck, (it's at 2:30pm) is this a steadfast rule, or can I show up earlier? I'll be taking a cab from my hotel, what is the luggage procedure?

Arrive at the pier around 10:30/11:00am. You may stand in line a short while. You complete a simple health form, go through security and then to check in. This process starts around 11am. You should be on board no later than 12:30. Go directly to your cabin it will be ready. Drop your carry on, place your valuables into the cabin safe which is in the closet wardrobe, and start your cruise. There will be a Princess Patter (daily newsletter) in your cabin or cabin's mailbox when you board. Look it over it lists all the activities for that day and a weekly schedule. On the back page will be the DR times. One DR is open for lunch from noon to 1:30. Other lunch options include The Horizon Ct. Buffet area on the Lido deck, The International Cafe on Deck 5, Alfredo's Pizza on deck 6, The Trident Grill and Prego Pizza by the Lido Pool. All no charge. Remember there will be a muster drill around 3:30 before the ship sails. The sail-a-way party will be by the Lido Pool after the muster drill. Ft. Lauderdale is a nice port to sail from.

Should I be jumping immediately in line to reserve spots for the specialty dinning?

If you wish to have specialty dining one or two evenings you can visit the restaurant during your afternoon walk around or you can call the DINE line.

OAs well as the cabanas by the adult pool? I don't want to miss out because I didnt line up!

Personally I don't think cabanas are worth the cost. But, if you think so visit the Sanctuary to reserve one.

Chairs around the pools in the sun are pretty easy to find. Chairs in the shade are difficult, and in demand. The Caribbean sun is very strong and you can get damaged skin very quickly.

Can someone please be kind enough to tell me how anytime dining actually works? Can I just show up at either anytime restaurants and be seated? Or is there a ballpark time they want you there, and a specific one they assign to you? I'm a bit confused from some of the posts I've read.

ATD works pretty well on the Royal. The Symphony DR, deck 5 mid ship opens at 5pm for ATD. The Concerto DR, deck 6 mid ship open for ATD at 7:30pm. All DR's have the same menu and dress codes. Just show up. Most of the time tables to share are easier to get than tables for two. There are some busy times which vary from cruise to cruise. Between 5:30 and 6 is usually the busiest. If you like to dine after 7:30 it is my experience that you will be seated quickly. If you wish to make a reservation call the DINE line in the morning. On most cruises reservations are accepted, but they are for specific times, for example 5:30, 5:45, 7:30, 7:45. We always look that the Princess Patter for the day, plan out what activities or shows we wish to see that evening and then plan our dining around that plan, no the other way around.

Here is some additional information. If you have more questions just ask.

Have a GREAT first cruise!!!

A few other things that you might like to know (Or not but thought I'd mention it):

We sailed the Regal last December- sister to Royal. There are many different areas for the sun... Shouldn't be too bad with crowds since You're cruising in February. (We cruise over Christmas/New Years- because both DH & I work in schools- we don't get much time off at the same time) So... if you don't want to shell out $$ for the Sanctuary you should be able to find a place- kids should be at a minimum.

Alfredo's! Really nice place to eat for lunch! Many nice pasta choices along with pizza- they do have pizza of the day- if it appeals to you stop and eat- best of all- it's free!!

International Cafe is another great place to eat- what you generally have to pay for is the Gelato and the coffee's (Unless you have a coffee card- we've never bought one). Lots of nice selections to chose from.

Vines- IF you like wine Vines is a nice place to stop and have wine and they have appetizers too- we always enjoyed a stop before or after dinner.

Princess does have a fun pub lunch on sea days- gets quite popular, but it is always enjoyable- It doesn't cost anything.

Any Time Dining. My DH & I have done this for our past 5 cruises- works well! We always are willing to share a table so when we go up to the dining room we let the hostess/host seat us where ever it works- we haven't waited more than 10 minutes... and that is even on nights like New Years Eve! HOWEVER if you want a table for two- you may have to wait longer

Breakfast in the horizon Court- LOTS of choices! My DH loved the omelet station. there is a fresh pastries... it's pretty yummy up there. We like to go all the way back (Aft) there are tables outside to eat at. I like to drink my coffee outside and look at the wake- We are both early risers and enjoy that area for the quiet and outdoors... one side is smoking- so be aware of that.

Hope that helps yo out!

Have a great trip! Gabrielle

You will find many, many seasoned cruisers on this board and all of them are giving you fantastic advice. However I have seen one piece of advice I like more than the others... Enjoy every aspect of your cruise.. That is free to you. Maybe visit one of the specialty restaurants if you like but I would not pay for a cabana or anything else. On your next cruise you will have a much better "feel" for anything you might want to spend additional monies on.

In our 18 years of cruising, I have never felt the need or desire to pay for the sanctuary or any other "pay for access" section on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Couple of points others haven't mentioned.

1. There are TWO adult areas forward on the Sun deck. The front one is the Sanctuary, with loungers and cabanas specifically for your use (1/2 day, day, or week). These folks also handle the cabanas for the Retreat. The latter is a free area around a pool and a couple of hot tubs. Loungers in this area tend to get tied up early for the whole day. Cabanas have almost no use due to expense. Most of both areas are in the sun.

Just aft of these the sun deck has a ton of loungers in both shade and sun and these usually don't have much traffic. You can either go down the stairs to the Fountain pool or walk forward to the Retreat pool. Chairs on the Lido deck are mostly in the sun around the Fountain pool, and this area tends to be busy.

2. As others have said, the two Anytime dining rooms are off the atrium. The one on the bottom floor will open around 5:15 (varies by ship/itinerary), the other maybe 7:15 after early fixed dining finished eating. Unlike other Princess ships, there are two entrances to each. For some reason most people head for the one to the right, so go left. Menu is posted outside the entrances each day. We seldom are able to get reservations for 2, but you can call at 8 AM (DINE) and try. Really don't need them, especially if you arrive at opening or after 7:30. We like to eat when they open and get the same table/waiters every night.

3. If you like specialty coffee, they sell a card with punches at the International Cafe. Punches can also be used at the gelato bar and never expire.

4. As others have said, you can arrive just before 11, drop you bags with the porters, and the doors will open around then for checkin. You need your passports, credit card, and preferably your printed seapass. Bring a pen - lots of people are handling the few they have for filling out the "I haven't been sick in 48 hours" form. You should be on the ship around noon. Rooms may or may not be open - Regal/Royal sometimes delay this until 1 or so. Generally on Princess, rooms are ready when you get on.

5. You will have a safety drill in one of the lounges/theatres just before sailing. Bring, don't wear, your life vest and your room key - they scan this to verify you are there. Elevators are packed afterwards, so expect to use the stairs.

Everyone answered the rest so ill just say this, I was on 10 Day Eastern Caribbean on Royal March 23.. Never once had a problem getting sun chairs on this ship. Its great! lots of space and tons of clean towels.

ALSO-- Eat at Alfredos! the free of charge Italian venue. SO goood! mmmm... We were the only ones there for dinner one night, and it was one of our favorite meals at sea.

You will enjoy this cruise! We've done this Itinerary before - it's a great itinerary, and you'll be sailing with us! Hopefully, someone will put together a Meet & Greet and you'll be able to meet all of us on our Roll Call. See you in February!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness! How wonderful you all are!! I thank you from the bottom of my fuzzy warm Heart!! Your answers are really making me feel like I can board this ship with confidence and I'm not walking a gang plank into the unknown :) I am so psyched up for this trip... I've done tons of resorts and a lovely go it your own way Costa Rica Trip, but I have a wiggling feeling that cruising is going to be my next big Love! I've grown up flying around on boats on lakes, and the ocean is Calling! With the wonderful advice from all of you I am sure to master this in no time... give me a few years and I'll have a super long list of cruises attached to my name as Well! Tntfox... I will sooooo be looking forward to a meet and greet :) I thank you all again, and I won't hesitate to ask any other questions that may pop Up! Advice is always Welcome! Cheers!

Oh my goodness! How wonderful you all are!! I thank you from the bottom of my fuzzy warm Heart!! Your answers are really making me feel like I can board this ship with confidence and I'm not walking a gang plank into the unknown :) I am so psyched up for this trip... I've done tons of resorts and a lovely go it your own way Costa Rica Trip, but I have a wiggling feeling that cruising is going to be my next big Love! I've grown up flying around on boats on lakes, and the ocean is Calling! With the wonderful advice from all of you I am sure to master this in no time... give me a few years and I'll have a super long list of cruises attached to my name as Well! Tntfox... I will sooooo be looking forward to a meet and greet :) I thank you all again, and I won't hesitate to ask any other questions that may pop Up! Advice is always Welcome! Cheers!

I may have missed it, if so, and this is a repeat, sorry. You should join your roll call for your sailing date here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=28&ship_id=400&sailing_date=201702

Have a great cruise. You will be hooked once you have done the first one. :D

Edited by ar1950