Disembarkation tour in LA?

swansnz

Booked to go on a Hawaiian cruise out of LA (San Pedro) next January.

Does anyone know if Princess offer a tour after disembarkation that then drops you off at LAX?

I do not actually know the answer. You can find out by looking in your cruise personalizer and go into shore excursions. If there are any offered you will be able to see it if you look at the LOS ANGELES disembarkation line on the bottom of the list. If there is nothing to click, that means no. If your personalizer is not up yet you can try the Princess Home page and go into the shore excursion area to see if offer it all.

Does anyone know if Princess offer a tour after disembarkation that then drops you off at LAX?

When disembarking in LA from the Crown in October 2015 they only offered one Debark Tour (LAX-965): Long Beach On Your Own.

Basically they take passengers to Long Beach (about 15 minutes from SP) to drop you off near the Aquarium of the Pacific and shopping & eating options. It showed departing the ship at 8:30 & dropping passengers at LAX at 1:30 and guessing that would give you about 3 hours in LB. It was for flights departing after 3:30 and cost $59.95 for adults & $39.95 for children.

Years ago they offered a tour to places like Hollywood & Santa Monica before taking passengers to LAX. For whatever reason (I'm guessing due to LA traffic) they no longer offer that option.

Edited by Astro Flyer

When disembarking in LA from the Crown in October 2015 they only offered one Debark Tour (LAX-965): Long Beach On Your Own.

Basically they take passengers to Long Beach (about 15 minutes from SP) to drop you off near the Aquarium of the Pacific and shopping & eating options. It showed departing the ship at 8:30 & dropping passengers at LAX at 1:30 and guessing that would give you about 3 hours in LB. It was for flights departing after 3:30 and cost $59.95 for adults & $39.95 for children.

Years ago they offered a tour to places like Hollywood & Santa Monica before taking passengers to LAX. For whatever reason (I'm guessing due to LA traffic) they no longer offer that option.

Thanks.

Looks quite expensive for what is not much more than a delayed transfer to the airport.

• 6 months later...
Thanks.

Looks quite expensive for what is not much more than a delayed transfer to the airport.

Is that the total cost? or do you also have to purchase a princess transfer in addition to the De bark tour. Princess site suggests you might have to purchase both tour and transfer which seems a rip off.!!

I am looking at this option for 5 December, after Island Princess cruise, fill in time before late evening flight from LAX.

Edited by NSWP

In our experience there wasn't much to do between disembarkation and our flights out of LA even if we would have booked a late flight. If you really want to see or do something in LA it might be better to come in a couple of days early or stay a couple of days after the cruise. BTW, LA is pretty cool (weather-wise) in January. Don't plan on sunny and warm like the movies and the TV shows would imply. We cruised a few years ago with some folks from the UK that expected warm weather and hadn't brought much in the way of warm clothes. They liked the weather in Hawaii, but, weren't happy while in LA or during the first and last three days of the cruise.

After the two Hawaii cruises out of LA that we have done we were just anxious to "get out of Dodge" and happy that we had booked a flight out that left fairly early in the afternoon.

Have a great cruise. Hawaii is a favorite for us.

YMMV

Edited by ar1950

In our experience there wasn't much to do between disembarkation and our flights out of LA even if we would have booked a late flight. If you really want to see or do something in LA it might be better to come in a couple of days early or stay a couple of days after the cruise.

Our experience too, so we came into LA 2 days before the cruise.

Thanks.

Could do this on your own

Taxi/shuttle to the Aquarium (confirm they're still holding luggage) then schedule a shuttle/taxi/Uber etc to LAX.

Sunseeker Tours is another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

G,day Swansnz

We have done the debark tours offered by princess after Hawiian cruise last year.

It was a 1/2 day Long Beach on your tour,having been in and out of San Pedro several times we had spent a bit of time in the area,so for us the only advantage was not having to store our luggage for the day.We were dropped at LAX around 2.30 pm for our mid night flight. This was the only tour they offered.

The only one listed is what others have mentioned, it is Long Beach on your own. If you arrive in L.A. early you can actually stay in a Long Beach hotel and do the same thing. You could also stay in a San Pedro hotel and take the public bus over to Long Beach. The two areas are only about 20 mins apart. You also have the option of staying at one of the thousands of hotels in the Los Angeles area and taking tours offered by the hotels. The only advantage of the Long Beach on your own seems to be just a way to pass some time, and leaving your luggage on the bus while you walk around.

Just a personal note I found the Battleship USS Iowa docked a few hundred yards away from the Princess pier more interesting than the Queen Mary docked in Long Beach. But, you have to be able to go up and down steep stairways to tour the Iowa.

If you want to see some of the sights in LA, you might investigate a private tour. However, in only a few hours, you won't see much. LA is huge, spread out all over the place, and there is usually bad traffic to contend with.

there is some fun stuff to do in long beach, i wouldn't venture into los Angeles or hollywood, becuase you will lose all of your good tourist time in transport.

long beach has the queen mary, which may not be interesting since you just got off a boat, but it is beautiful and interesting to tour. also the long beach aquarium is very nice. they also sell packages where you get to go on a small boat tour of the port and then to the aquarium. i enjoyed the port tour, it was neat to see the scale of the port and the ships being unloaded.

the federal bar is one of my favorite places to eat in long beach, it's by the transit center. it is in an old federal bank with high vaulted ceilings. good food and drinks.

G,day Swansnz

We have done the debark tours offered by princess after Hawiian cruise last year.

It was a 1/2 day Long Beach on your tour,having been in and out of San Pedro several times we had spent a bit of time in the area,so for us the only advantage was not having to store our luggage for the day.We were dropped at LAX around 2.30 pm for our mid night flight. This was the only tour they offered.

G'day, as you have done we have been into San Pedro a few times and spent pre cruise days in LA area doing the LA, movie stars homes, Venice beach stuff etc. I have just booked the De Bark tour - Long Beach on your own @$49.95 pp. Mainly because apart from looking at Queen Mary, have many hours to fill in on 5 December at LAX before 9.45pm flight on Air NZ to Sydney via Auckland, plus the de bark tour keeps your luggage on the bus from ship to LAX. Air NZ check in does not open until 2pm. We would have access to Star Alliance Lounge at LAX, but not until after check in, security, customs etc.

My main issue with this de bark tour is..Special note on the tour notes. 'Passengers must also purchase the Princess Airport Transfer in addition to this tour.' !! This seems odd to me when one is paying Princess for the transport to Long Beach and one would of thought transport later from LB to LAX. Do you recollect if you paid extra for a transfer on top of the Debark Tour cost?

Thanks to all for advice so far.

Edited by NSWP

We have found sometimes that some disembarkation tours are only listed/offered onboard and not pre cruise.

That's usually been our experience in LA but sometimes even then it wasn't offered onboard.

For our HI cruise early next year there is a post-cruise tour that's available to pre-reserve & ends at LAX.

Debark Tour: Long Beach On Your Own

LAX-965| Los Angeles, California | Group Size: 40

5 hours $49.95

Moderate level of activity Shopping

Here's your chance to experience Southern California your way - experience one of the most popular cities creating your own adventure, and memories. You will have approximately four hours for shopping, dining as well as to explore any of the cities well-known attractions.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's usually been our experience in LA but sometimes even then it wasn't offered onboard.

For our HI cruise early next year there is a post-cruise tour that's available to pre-reserve & ends at LAX.

5 hours $49.95

Here's your chance to experience Southern California your way - experience one of the most popular cities creating your own adventure, and memories. You will have approximately four hours for shopping, dining as well as to explore any of the cities well-known attractions.

That is the one I have reserved for post cruise Island Princess on Cruise Personaliser (not paid) but which also mentions in special notes..' Passengers must also purchase the Princess Airport Transfer in addition to this tour?' Odd? Double whammy for Princess ?

I am going to chase it up with Princess Head Office to clarify and see if 'special note' is a misprint. If a Princess transfer, San Pedro to LAX is $35, add the $50 for the De Bark - Long Beach then a total of $85 pp for what really is a delayed transfer is a little rich on principle, to me anyway.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours $49.95

If I were to come all of the way from New Zealand like the OP is doing, I am not certain that I would find this tour the most impressive sampling of Los Angeles. Just sayin'.

As always YMMV.

Edited by ar1950

If I were to come all of the way from New Zealand like the OP is doing, I am not certain that I would find this tour the most impressive sampling of Los Angeles. Just sayin'.

As always YMMV.

I agree. Visitors want to see the iconic LA stuff: Hollywood Blvd., the sign, Malibu, Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive (none of which are actually in the City of Los Angeles, lol.) The problem is that all those things are miles apart with traffic in between. A tour of Long Beach isn't the same. ;)

That is the one I have reserved for post cruise Island Princess on Cruise Personaliser (not paid) but which also mentions in special notes..' Passengers must also purchase the Princess Airport Transfer in addition to this tour?' Odd? Double whammy for Princess ?

I am going to chase it up with Princess Head Office to clarify and see if 'special note' is a misprint. If a Princess transfer, San Pedro to LAX is $35, add the $50 for the De Bark - Long Beach then a total of $85 pp for what really is a delayed transfer is a little rich on principle, to me anyway.

Thanks...since I live in the area this tour isn't for me but that's contradictory to have a statement that the transfer is additional when the tour's description is "Re-board motorcoach and transfer to Los Angeles International Airport". :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

As always YMMV.

I agree but I merely posted about the tour's availability & certainly not suggesting that's anyones best option.

I agree. Visitors want to see the iconic LA stuff: Hollywood Blvd., the sign, Malibu, Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive (none of which are actually in the City of Los Angeles, lol.) The problem is that all those things are miles apart with traffic in between. A tour of Long Beach isn't the same. ;)

We've sailed several times with Aussie friends & after our cruise with them ended in LA we drove them around to see these places (except Malibu) that they wanted to visit before their midnight flight to Sydney.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks...since I live in the area this tour isn't for me but that's contradictory to have a statement that the transfer is additional when the tour's description is "Re-board motorcoach and transfer to Los Angeles International Airport". :eek:

Exactly my friend. Contradictory indeed.

We've sailed several times with Aussie friends & after our cruise with them ended in LA we drove them around to see these places (except Malibu) that they wanted to visit before their midnight flight to Sydney.

That's why I say a private tour would be a good idea. Having friends with a car would be even better. Having friends with a car who know the shortcuts around the freeway jams would be the best. :)

Edited by shredie