Main Dining Room lunch on PORT DAYS

MSBerliner

Reading through all threads in this forum I've sometimes seen a comment indicating that Princess ships DO NOT serve lunch in the main dining room on port days.

We're scheduled for a 14 day cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. The itinerary includes 11 port days and 3 sea days.

Does this mean that we will only be offered three served lunches in the main dining room?

Reading through all threads in this forum I've sometimes seen a comment indicating that Princess ships DO NOT serve lunch in the main dining room on port days.

We're scheduled for a 14 day cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale. The itinerary includes 11 port days and 3 sea days.

Does this mean that we will only be offered three served lunches in the main dining room?

On the 3 sea days and on embarkation day.

You will be able to have lunch in the MDR on embarkation day with a limited menu between noon and 1:30. A full lunch menu is offered in the MDR on your 3 sea days....but on your port days its the buffet or one of the walk up venues like the Trident Grill. Sadly Princess cheaped out a number of years ago by closing the MDR on port days.

Looks that way.

I guess they figure it's not worth opening the MDR when most people are off the ship, visiting the port.

This is one of those things I should have noted on the cutbacks thread. There are times I just don't get off the ship in port (Ensenada, anyone?) and it would be nice to get MDR lunch on those days. Sigh.

I really enjoy the Room Service hamburger - one of the best - much better than the Trident grill - it's just that in Ensenada I have to share it with the seagulls.

I really enjoy the Room Service hamburger - one of the best - much better than the Trident grill - it's just that in Ensenada I have to share it with the seagulls.

Agreed. However, order two. The gulls will appreciate it and you won't have to share.

Edited by ar1950

Boo.. This has always bugged me. Anyone know of a cruise line similar to Princess that continues port MDR lunches?

I know that Carnival and Royal Caribbean both keep their MDR closed on port days, even on embarkation day.

4 served lunches - 3 on sea days and 1 on embarkation

I know that Carnival and Royal Caribbean both keep their MDR closed on port days, even on embarkation day.

When arriving later in port (ie Ensenada at 3pm, on the Hawaii itin), Carnival serves lunch/brunch in the MDR. Does Princess?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When arriving later in port (ie Ensenada at 3pm, on the Hawaii itin), Carnival serves lunch/brunch in the MDR. Does Princess?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes. If you are not in port (having not arrived or having left) on a port day at lunch time, the dining room is open for lunch.

Edited by caribill

I took a look at the itinerary for your voyage. Most of these ports are touring ports, and the ship should be quite empty on port days. At many of the ports passengers will stop for lunch on shore. It shouldn't be like cruises to the Caribbean where many passengers stay on board. If you are on board you will most likely have the open lunch areas pretty much all to yourself. We enjoy them all, especially the International Cafe.

One reason the MDR is closed on port days is to give more of the crew the opportunity to have some time off. I love having lunch in the dining room but I think it's nice that they do this. The hard working crew deserves it.

One reason the MDR is closed on port days is to give more of the crew the opportunity to have some time off. I love having lunch in the dining room but I think it's nice that they do this. The hard working crew deserves it.

Actually with cutbacks of staff in other areas they are needed in other areas of the ship to work.

Most mass market cruise lines no longer serve lunch in the MDR on port days.

In the past on Princess when we've had a port stop beginning at 1 PM or later, lunch was served in the MDR.

LuLu

I believe we've seen lunch in the dining room with very early departures, too (like 1pm). And we've been on ships with such long lasting Code Red Noro that the dining room has been opened for lunch on port days, too.

this change was made at least a few years ago. But we're fine with that. On our last cruise with about 8 sea days, we didn't eat lunch in the MDR on any of those days because of the many options. But then one of my hubby's favorite food items on Princess is the grilled chicken sandwich at the poolside grill.

Princess doesn't do the brunch thing like Carnival does. I wish they did.
When the dining room is open for lunch, there's usually a "late risers" section on the menu with an item such as eggs benedict or blueberry pancakes.