Christmas Gifts for Cast Members

briehon

We will be on the Christmas sailing of the Magic this year and we have decided that we would like to bring a small gift to all of our cast members....room steward, dining team and possible a few others we encounter. Obviously we won't know their gender so they will have to be non gender specific. I want it to be something they would need or want. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Just a couple of hints. You do not want to make trouble for any of your people and DCL has very strict rules regarding gifts to CMs. Therefore, if you bring items rather than gift cards, please ask the CM whether you need to get permission from anyone to give them the gift. We've had different answers (might depend on rank???). In some cases, it was necessary for the manager to know about/approve that we were giving them a gift, possibly so they weren't accused of stealing (?). In other cases, we were told that no approval was necessary.

Be aware that gifts of money or gift cards without a name on it given to a youth counselor must be turned over to their manager and will be used for a department party. The gift cards become door prizes. The theory is that many people cared for your children and it isn't fair for only those working on the last night to get the "goodies." Gift cards with a CM's name on it may be kept by that CM in the YAC department.

There is a crew bus in PC that takes off duty crew to Target and Walmart, so a gift card with their name on it to either of those places is appropriate.

Beyond that, what they NEED on the ship is rather basic...money, obviously, but I understand that you want a gift rather than increased tip. Laundry supplies (their work clothing is handled by the ship, but they do their own off duty and undergarments), personal toiletries (but wouldn't you rather choose your own brand?). We gave a nice bottle of wine to a very special CM. On board, you can purchase a spa treat for them. Food treats are always desirable, especially if they relate to something special from your part of the world. If your city or state is known for something edible, that's super. But any individually wrapped candy or other relatively non-perishable food is good.

When you say "other" CMs, one thing we have tried to do it so take a bag of candy or other treat to Guest Services with a request that it be delivered to the engine room crew or the theatre tech crew or the yellow jump suit guys who constantly paint and maintain the ship, or any other "behind the scenes" group that doesn't typically get recognized. People like YAC, stateroom hosts, and dining get lots of recognition; other departments do not. Again, I'm not saying to bring 42 bags of goodies for every department you can think of; my logic is that we try to treat one department each time we cruise.

Crew quarters are VERY small, and at the end of a contract, all their personal belongings must fit in one suitcase + one carry on unless they want to incur luggage charges. Therefore, something they will use up is better than a "thing" that will just sit there.

One thought--internet on the ship--they buy it in $20 increments. I'm not sure how much that gets them, but one CM (Palo server) told us it always goes too fast. Yes, they know all the cheap places in port....but you might be able to purchase internet time for someone. I've never done this, just heard about how fast their accounts seem to go.

And, as always, the best thing you can do for any CM beyond tipping well is a mention by name/department on your evaluation and tell how they made your trip special....or write/e-mail DCL when you get home. Guest comments are very important. They are kept in their employment file. A couple nice comments may result in an extra hour off on a port day (that's a big deal to them). More might result in a trip to Palo (super big treat). But most important, when raise/promotion time rolls around, those comments are reviewed.

Edited by moki'smommy

We will be on the Christmas sailing of the Magic this year and we have decided that we would like to bring a small gift to all of our cast members....room steward, dining team and possible a few others we encounter. Obviously we won't know their gender so they will have to be non gender specific. I want it to be something they would need or want. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Cash. They need cash. I know you mean well and I know that you want to make it special, but these people are away from their families for months at a time, often during the holidays so that they can send money back home. A souvenir or a token gift while for our standards is a nice gesture, from their perspective you just gave them a burden. They are space constrained while on board and they sure aren't going to spend the little money they earn to ship it back home. You give them a card with extra cash they will be super grateful.

Yep, I think that's how I'll go except with a small Christmas candy attached.

I wouldn't feel

Right if it wasn't at least somewhat festive!!

And I think that's fine. Good chocolate, jelly beans, snack stuff is fine - wrap a few dollars (or $5) around it and you're good to go.

My mom crochets cup cozies (you put them on your coffee cup instead of the paper one to easier hold a hot coffee). Last cruise we gave those to our servers on the last night with their extra tip money inside of it.

If they like the cup cozy, great. If they toss it, no harm done. It was basically just a fancy envelope to hold the cash because they had done an excellent job and deserved it.

I think the main point of all of this is, don't spend a lot of money on a gift. Think of the item more as a conduit for giving additional cash.

Money, money and more money...that's why they work....and they can use it to get whatever they desire!

These folks share a teensy cabin with another "cast member"...there's very little space for trinkets!

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have cash than a "gift" from someone who doesn't know my tastes!

I think it is very nice to give a gift and it doesn't have to be money.

Yes, in effect it has to. Non-monetary tokens or little gifts are a _burden_ to them. They don't have the space to keep in their common dormitories and they are not going to spend money bringing or shipping trinkets back home. If you are giving a gift, it's for them, not for you, right? The best way to spread the cheer is a little extra tip maybe a card (or as OP stated, with a candy cane or something festive). Further bear in mind they are likely not christian (buddhists, hindi, taoists, etc.) and do not follow/observe that holiday beyond what's required for the job. So, instead of spending money on a token they'll likely toss out as soon as you aren't around, just give them an extra $10 inside a nice card and actually make their day just a little bit better.

Yes, in effect it has to. Non-monetary tokens or little gifts are a _burden_ to them. They don't have the space to keep in their common dormitories and they are not going to spend money bringing or shipping trinkets back home. If you are giving a gift, it's for them, not for you, right? The best way to spread the cheer is a little extra tip maybe a card (or as OP stated, with a candy cane or something festive). Further bear in mind they are likely not christian (buddhists, hindi, taoists, etc.) and do not follow/observe that holiday beyond what's required for the job. So, instead of spending money on a token they'll likely toss out as soon as you aren't around, just give them an extra $10 inside a nice card and actually make their day just a little bit better.

Yeap!...This:D

AKK

This comes up all the time on various forums. Unless you are personally familiar with that employee's tastes, etc, it's much better to give cash.

They have limited space, possible dietary restrictions, different personal tastes, different holidays celebrated, etc. While they will certainly indicate they are appreciative of your gifts, in reality they may not be the best (I think we all have gotten a gift or two that fits this).

Give them cash. If you wish to celebrate the holiday, get a couple of wal-mart gift cards with a holiday theme.

I agree cash is king for those that are in tipped positions.

For other positions, snacks and candy are always appreciated.

Walmart gift cards are a great idea as well.

I do have to say that they don't sleep in dormitories as suggested below. The max on DCL is 3 people in a cabin. And seafaring crew tend to get generous allowances when it comes to air baggage weights and number of suitcases. It isn't just a 20kg bag and a carry on. Plus the crew do hold stuff for each other in-between contracts whilst on vacation if you know you are returning.

If I were you briehon, take the advice here onboard (:p) but ultimately do as you see fit as long as you know they may toss it and you wouldn't be heart broken.

If that makes you happy, and it is non offensive to the crew, no harm to anyone.

ex techie

Techie, I'm not sure how much fellow CMs can do with holding stuff on the ship for a friend. It probably worked well in the days of 2 ships. Last year one of our favorite CMs who has been on the Magic for a LONG time told us that new contracts are being difficult. She knows when she gets off the ship that she will have a new contract and about when it will start, but she doesn't have a firm date to report or what ship she'll be on. She's a Palo server. Her feeling is that if they don't bring her back to the Magic, she isn't sure she wants to come back at all.....but that's another story.

To all (not directed at Techie cuz I'm sure he knows this)....CMs who are in non-tipped positions cannot keep any cash gifts they might be given. They must turn it over to their manager--depending on department, it is used toward a crew party or given to charity. They can keep a gift card if it has their name on it. So, you might want to get a few Target or Walmart gift cards as this is where the crew bus will take them.

Edited by moki'smommy

Techie' date=' I'm not sure how much fellow CMs can do with holding stuff on the ship for a friend. It probably worked well in the days of 2 ships. Last year one of our favorite CMs who has been on the Magic for a LONG time told us that new contracts are being difficult. She knows when she gets off the ship that she will have a new contract and about when it will start, but she doesn't have a firm date to report or what ship she'll be on. She's a Palo server. Her feeling is that if they don't bring her back to the Magic, she isn't sure she wants to come back at all.....but that's another story.

To all (not directed at Techie cuz I'm sure he knows this)....CMs who are in non-tipped positions cannot keep any cash gifts they might be given. They must turn it over to their manager--depending on department, it is used toward a crew party or given to charity. They can keep a gift card if it has their name on it. So, you might want to get a few Target or Walmart gift cards as this is where the crew bus will take them.[/quote']

I can only reply as to the entertainment technical team part of your post, in that they know approximately which dates and which ship. That even changed during the days of two ships.

There are ways around exchanging belongings .... ;)

The crew bus, the "fun bus" goes to Merritt Island mall, so gift cards for any of the stores that are still there or within walking distance would be welcomed.

ex techie

I've wondered this before--can crew members receive deliveries anywhere? I'd wondered if an Amazon GC might be welcome, and could also be used for non tangible items like music and movies.

As Moki'smommy said above, it was a lot easier when there where just two ships.

And to that point, it is easier for the Dream and Fantasy CM's, as they are always (at this time) home ported. At lot harder for the Magic and Wonder as they now roam and do not have a specific and regular home port anymore.

For the Dream and Fantasy CM's, they have a specific postal address. A caller number. It must be addressed specifically to that person, and which department.

That way family and friends can send them letters and care packages.

The same for the Magic and Wonder, but obviously since they roam it is a lot less reliable that a parcel or package would find them on time unless sent ahead.

An Amazon gift card would be welcome, and best if it has no boundaries as to which country of origin it can be used in. Think if an Indonesian CM can use it at their home country. But they can trade that card as well!

The ships internet isn't up to downloading movies for crew. Social media and FaceTime, emails etc.

But they may be able to download music whilst ashore on their few hours off, if they can register an Amazon account without a proper address in the US?

ex techie

Thanks for the response, ex techie. While I 100% understand the "just give them cash" point, I do wonder if the Amazon GC may give them the opportunity to get things *of their choosing* that might not be readily available with cash, or even indulge a little. And they could be traded or regifted. Just a thought, but I probably have confirmation bias from all my own Amazon shopping and media consumption. :) (oh, they could get kindle books too, those are a super fast download.)