All Aboard Time?

HALrunner

That's what we've been asking about.

I guess Disney does it differently..............

Yes and we told you that DCL AAT and Departure Time are, for all intents and purposes, the same. We never disputed other lines do it differently.

FINALLY found an example.

This is a Daily program from Celebrity.

Note the "All Aboard vs. Departure" times.

That's what we've been asking about.

I guess Disney does it differently..............

Thanks for posting the daily "Today" information letter.

That's interesting to see how different lines communicate with their Guest's!

I guess DCL chose to take the softly softly approach, and not leave any room for ambiguity and therefore complaints "but I only read this bit and not that bit"! lol!

I LOVE that they make it clear as crystal in the part that states

Important Note: If you do not return before the departure time, it is your responsibility to make arrangements to rejoin the ship

That does however mean if you miss the stated all aboard 8:45pm time, you could board until 8:59, before the departure time and still meet their conditions before departure. :p

I think a finite time, and then if you miss this time, you are responsible to rejoin the ship message would be clearer for every cruise line.

Either that, or publish all aboard times as 1 hour before the ship is actually scheduled to sail, allow a 20 minute grace period, then withdraw the walkways, go to the Staterooms and remove any passports in the safe, hand them over and then depart as soon as you can. That way they have had plenty of time to contact the ships agent in that port if they are delayed, and the ship can decide yes or no to wait for them.

Some people do need tough love to understand rules and consideration for everyone else they are delaying.

ex techie

Maybe I'm missing the point, but as I see it, All Aboard time means this is the latest time by which you are expected to have your body on board the ship. Period. If you aren't there at that time, it is your tough luck.

If you arrive late and the ship is still at the dock, it is up to the captain whether to allow you to board or not (replacing the gangway requires more time and effort). It is your problem that you did not comply with the all aboard time. I see no need for grace periods or other "we're going to tell you that you have to be on by X time but we really mean Y time" situations.

It just seems really simple to me--be there. If an emergency has occurred while on land, you are to contact the "ship's agent" at the phone number on the Navigator. From there, whether the ship waits or not is up to the captain. It doesn't absolve the guest of the need to be on board at the stated time.

Maybe I'm missing the point' date=' but as I see it, All Aboard time means this is the latest time by which you are expected to have your body on board the ship. Period. If you aren't there at that time, it is your tough luck.

If you arrive late and the ship is still at the dock, it is up to the captain whether to allow you to board or not (replacing the gangway requires more time and effort). It is your problem that you did not comply with the all aboard time. I see no need for grace periods or other "we're going to tell you that you have to be on by X time but we really mean Y time" situations.

It just seems really simple to me--be there. If an emergency has occurred while on land, you are to contact the "ship's agent" at the phone number on the Navigator. From there, whether the ship waits or not is up to the captain. It doesn't absolve the guest of the need to be on board at the stated time.[/quote']

I agree. 100%.

But I don't think any cruise line would adopt a zero tolerance policy unfortunately.

That's why I said with a 1 hour window, 20 min grace period, then remove the gangways, that gives the ship 40 mins to retrieve any passports, throw them on the pier for the port agent.

Why ships do not have retractable gangways instead of fixed ones in port still puzzles me..... They work for planes?

The gangway is disconnected, sorry! You were too late. Your next flight is....

ex techie