Magic 2nd Dry Dock in 3 years?

coldflame

There has always been a 2 week break in the Magic's schedule in the fall. There is an Aug 29 cruise, and then the next scheduled is the TA on Sept. 19. No one really knew whether there was a charter booked or ???. It now appears that this is for a dry dock.

The ship is required to have a dry dock for engine inspection and repair twice every 5 years. The last one was 2 years ago, so this is not an unexpected time. The ship will be easily accessible to where she last dry docked.

And, it looks like they have some interesting improvements planned--upgrading the concierge area to make it more like the new ships, adding something similar to the BBB, and moving the Edge. That space on deck 2 has had a multitude of uses over the years. Wonder what will go in there now.

There has always been a 2 week break in the Magic's schedule in the fall. There is an Aug 29 cruise' date=' and then the next scheduled is the TA on Sept. 19. No one really knew whether there was a charter booked or ???. It now appears that this is for a dry dock.

The ship is required to have a dry dock for engine inspection and repair twice every 5 years. The last one was 2 years ago, so this is not an unexpected time. The ship will be easily accessible to where she last dry docked.

And, it looks like they have some interesting improvements planned--upgrading the concierge area to make it more like the new ships, adding something similar to the BBB, and moving the Edge. That space on deck 2 has had a multitude of uses over the years. Wonder what will go in there now.[/quote']

Interesting. How come the Wonder doesn't get the same love/maintenance (given they're "twins")?

Good question. They have always been "fraternal twins" in that there are major differences which have only been increased over the years. But you could argue that until 2 years ago (re-imagination for the Magic) that the Wonder had received the more changes with the enclosure of the second floor of Cove Cafe prior to Alaska, etc.

The Wonder gets her required maintenance. If she didn't, she couldn't sail. What she hasn't had is 6 weeks out of service for a major facelift. She has had cabin improvements in stages--taking 20-50 cabins per week out of service for cleaning/replacing bedding, carpet, etc. I've heard all sorts of speculation on why no re-imagining, but must take it as just that.

Edited by moki'smommy

There has always been a 2 week break in the Magic's schedule in the fall. There is an Aug 29 cruise' date=' and then the next scheduled is the TA on Sept. 19. No one really knew whether there was a charter booked or ???. It now appears that this is for a dry dock.

And, it looks like they have some interesting improvements planned--upgrading the concierge area to make it more like the new ships, adding something similar to the BBB, and moving the Edge. That space on deck 2 has had a multitude of uses over the years. Wonder what will go in there now.[/quote']

Yep! As above 2 out of the water inspections within a 5 year period so not unexpected.

The Magic has had reports of plumbing problems that have been ongoing for many many years, and it has been said it was sabotaged in Cadiz by workers pouring stuff they shouldn't have, down the pipes and why so many plumbing problems since then that they were supposed to have actually fixed.

What I've always heard is that DCL want a $500,000,000 ship for $400,000,000, (for example) and so corners get cut. Then they get what they actually paid for.

Anyhow, I hope they turn the old conference rooms that were turned into Edge into a Library. It would be good for those on the long cruises. And also remove any noise from the tweens congregating in that area.

ex techie

Anyhow, I hope they turn the old conference rooms that were turned into Edge into a Library. It would be good for those on the long cruises. And also remove any noise from the tweens congregating in that area.

ex techie

It started out as a library in 1998--a very nice library which included children's books and games that could be signed out as well as adult reading material. The remaining vestige of that is the bookshelf in the Cove Cafe...which is still more than was on the Fantasy when we were on that cruise.

Alas, a library doesn't make money...and so it became a conference room and DCL attempted to woo groups (businesses and such) to book cruises with great conference facilities. I don't think that was a huge hit as it didn't last too long.

It started out as a library in 1998--a very nice library which included children's books and games that could be signed out as well as adult reading material. The remaining vestige of that is the bookshelf in the Cove Cafe...which is still more than was on the Fantasy when we were on that cruise.

Alas' date=' a library doesn't make money...and so it became a conference room and DCL attempted to woo groups (businesses and such) to book cruises with great conference facilities. I don't think that was a huge hit as it didn't last too long.[/quote']

I never knew that about the Magic!

Every day is a school day!

I know that the Wonder used to use her's a fair bit with companies chartering her on the short cruises and that once the Magic took the 7 day cruises it was barely used. The crew would have Safety Familirization training each Saturday until the numbers got too large and it was moved to Studio Sea.

I guess a CM being there to sign books or games out wouldn't be effective use of the space. An internet cafe, maybe, and better utilize the space in the Prom Lounge? Don't know. Hopefully it won't be a wasted space.

ex techie

Although it is windowless, it could make a good space for toddlers to have a space to play that is supervised by their Parent's or Guardians? Ball pits, soft matts etc?

I've heard they have been trialling temporary spaces on the Magic?

ex techie

Although it is windowless, it could make a good space for toddlers to have a space to play that is supervised by their Parent's or Guardians? Ball pits, soft matts etc?

I've heard they have been trialling temporary spaces on the Magic?

ex techie

If they make it a toddler play area, they almost have to put a CM there for safety reasons. The have done the toddler activities in the dance area by the Promenade lounge, but those require very little set up/tear down. When it was a library, the area was on an honor system, much as the bookshelf is today. But without windows, it wasn't a great place to hang out and read/play games unless there was a storm.

I'm curious as to where they plan to move the Edge.

If they make it a toddler play area' date=' they almost have to put a CM there for safety reasons. The have done the toddler activities in the dance area by the Promenade lounge, but those require very little set up/tear down. When it was a library, the area was on an honor system, much as the bookshelf is today. But without windows, it wasn't a great place to hang out and read/play games unless there was a storm.

I'm curious as to where they plan to move the Edge.[/quote']

Arr-Cade. They are removing it from the Dream and thats where the new Ice Cream Parlour will be.

Not sure they need to have a CM there full-time if it is an unsupervised area, at your risk, like the old policy with the pools.

By toddlers, I mean nursery age to be taken in by the Parents/Guardians. Not a drop off.

ex techie

Yes, I understood that you meant toddler age kids under parental supervision.

But....kid gets hurt even with parent there...mother is busy freaking out, can't find wave phone, doesn't know where house phone is to call for help, etc. This isn't an area where there are CMs around all the time (like the pool areas are.) Pool area, there is always someone at a nearby bar!

And as you said, there is always that parent who leaves the child for "just a minute" while they run back to their cabin or whatever. And that "just a minute" is about how long it takes for an accident.

I was SHOCKED to see a father leave a sleeping infant in a stroller by the chairs right outside the Cove Cafe on the WBTA last year. After 20 minutes, I reported it to the bar tender in the Cove. The kid was asleep and not disturbing anyone, but it is an "adult only" space and the kid appeared to be abandoned. The bar tender told me that this is common in Europe and he was not surprised at all. However, he did call security.

There must be more space in the Arr-cade than I realized if it will become the Edge.

Edited by moki'smommy

If they do enclose the old Outlook bar as I've read they could for the new Concierge Lounge, they could tag on an area to the Starboard side for the Tween disco on top of the old Arr-Cade ?

It is as large as the Cove Cafe, so not a small space and probably larger than the old Edge space?

ex techie

BY IMO and Solas regulations, all vessel have to go into shipyard for periodic inspection and maintaince 2 times every 5 years. The Magic is right on schedule.

The Wonder is also on schedule, but they have not as yet den the duck tale stability add on as she cannot get though the original Panama canal locks with the duck tail. When the new large locks are ready DCL intends to do the full reimagination of her like the Magic.

AKK

Note that the Disney Wonder completes an eastbound Panama Canal cruise on roughly September 9, 2016 and the next cruise it sails is on November 6, 2016 (or thereabouts); assuming the long delayed completion of the Panama Canal enhancement is then within schedule, this may be the time period where the Wonder gets reimagined.

Note that the Disney Wonder completes an eastbound Panama Canal cruise on roughly September 9, 2016 and the next cruise it sails is on November 6, 2016 (or thereabouts); assuming the long delayed completion of the Panama Canal enhancement is then within schedule, this may be the time period where the Wonder gets reimagined.

Good pick up. This certainly makes sense.

Yes, it has been around. What's not speculation is the 6-8 week gap in the Wonder's schedule between September - November 2016. What speculative is what Disney will do to the ship during that period, which is dependent on Panama Canal construction outcomes.

Yes, it has been around. What's not speculation is the 6-8 week gap in the Wonder's schedule between September - November 2016. What speculative is what Disney will do to the ship during that period, which is dependent on Panama Canal construction outcomes.

I see that as a window of opportunity for them to give the Wonder the proper refurb she needs in terms of electrical and mechanical, since the Staterooms have already been updated, not that those dates could be changed to suit cruises either before or after.

I hope they do not change her too much more than they already have.

And they should leave the chandelier and second atrium staircase intact.

If the chandelier is to old or safe to maintain, take it down and recast it in a different media.

And the AquaDunk is a nice thrill ride, but it sure makes the ship look ugly and ruins the classic look.

No doubt the Imagineers have their sights set on her to "re-imagine" her or ruin her to justify their pay check.

I have a nagging feeling they won't spend all the money the spent on the Magic, and I hope I'm right.

ex techie

Since we are in the world of what we would like to see should the Wonder undergo some renovation during her 2016 dry dock, what I would like to see is the conversion of the Beach Blanket Buffet into Cabanas (more space, better flow). Adding the duck tail with the extra engine would be great also in that it would possibly provide flexibility for the Wonder to explore additional itineraries.

Since we are in the world of what we would like to see should the Wonder undergo some renovation during her 2016 dry dock, what I would like to see is the conversion of the Beach Blanket Buffet into Cabanas (more space, better flow). Adding the duck tail with the extra engine would be great also in that it would possibly provide flexibility for the Wonder to explore additional itineraries.

My understanding is that both of these are planned...but the duck tail is dependent on the Panama Canal expansion being completed. Magic did change Topsiders to Cabanas. We were told on the Magic that the duck tail is needed as a counterbalance to the new slide. Again, never sure if what CMs say is accurate or not.

I thought the duck tail was for an extra engine (redundancy on long cruises). But I was also told that was why the sun deck was closed in aft on deck 7 on the Magic. It makes more sense that the duck tail was added for that purpose, but I honestly don't know where that extra engine really goes! The Magic, I am told, had 4 engines, and generally uses 3. By adding a 5th engine, they have 2 for redundancy.

I thought the duck tail was for an extra engine (redundancy on long cruises). But I was also told that was why the sun deck was closed in aft on deck 7 on the Magic. It makes more sense that the duck tail was added for that purpose, but I honestly don't know where that extra engine really goes! The Magic, I am told, had 4 engines, and generally uses 3. By adding a 5th engine, they have 2 for redundancy.

Magic originally had 5 engines. We learned a whole lot about engines when first one and then a second one went out on one of our cruises. They attempted repairs unsuccessfully at Castaway, so we left there early in order to make Port Canaveral on time. Max speed dropped to 18 knots due to the engine issues.

I do not know if they added a 6th engine, but I can attest that the old "secret deck 7" is no longer a public space and is filled with all sorts of machinery. The deck space had become a problem due to the activities of some guests. initially the space was locked at night, and eventually locked most if the time.

Not an expert by any means, but here is how the function of a duck tail was explained to me. The duck tail is an empty space designed to increase the efficiency of a ship (i.e. save money on fuel). It helps counteract the "squat" effect when a ship is moving forward and reduces drag on the stern of the ship.

Thanks. I did some research and reached a similar conclusion. I thought a CM indicated they had added an extra engine, but I can't find anything to support that, other that the public space on deck 7 being closed and filled with machinery.