MSC Divina - Worst Experience Ever!!!

1fathiker

We just returned from an 18 day transatlantic cruise on the MSC Divina and it was the CRUISE FROM HELL!!! We are experienced cruisers and this was, by a mile, the worst company we have ever sailed with. Although we could write a book about our experience, we will give just a few instances of what we put up with. The many people we spoke with aboard ship agreed that MSC is not a cruise line they would use again. Should you want additional information, don’t hesitate to respond.

First, and most important, the lack of sanitation standards in areas where food is available was frightening. This ship is ripe for a Norovirus! We witnessed very few people attempt to use the hand sanitizers before entering a restaurant or the buffet. There was one hand sanitizer available at each door to the buffet but 90% of the time they were either empty or broken. We witnessed people reaching into the buffet and picking up food by their hands. We witnessed people using the tongs to pick up the food and then laying the tongs back onto the food. We witnessed officers reach into the covered pasty stand at the Café Italia and take pastries using their hands rather than the tongs available.

Second, MSC stands for Mediterranean Shipping Company and from the first to the last day we were treated as cargo by the staff. In particular, the employees of Guest Services are extremely rude and unprofessional, and would rather not be bothered by the passengers. For example, we witnessed a passenger discussing an issue with a front desk staff person. He was treated rudely and was not offered any assistance. The front desk person then turned to his peers and began loudly, laughingly and expressively mocking the guest.

Each time we talked with a staff member at Guest Services we were made to feel as though we were imposing upon them. For example, the most serious issue we brought to their attention was the noxious smell of very strong fumes from the use of deck cleaning solvents and painting being done on the ship the last 9 days of the cruise, particularly in our hallway on deck 9 and in our room. We reported the issue on the second of the 9 days and were informed that no painting was being done. We returned to Guest Services the following day to report that we saw where painting was being done and solvents were being used only to be told that the chemicals were non-hazardous. In speaking with a number of guests and crew, all responded that they were bothered by the fumes as well. By the final day of the cruise we found it impossible to find an area within the ship where we could not smell the fumes.

Third, the staff did nothing to manage the disembarkation process at ports, which resulted in people shoving, pushing, crowding, and coming from all directions to use the two gangplanks, which were simultaneously used for embarkation. It was extremely stressful and unnecessary chaos!

My experience with Guest Relations on this cruise was the exact opposite. I had a few issues which were dealt with promptly, efficiently and always with a smile. I was also on Deck 9 and NEVER even noticed the smell or sight of fresh paint. Apart from some minor problems, we had an absolutely fantastic time. Guess we just didn't sweat the small stuff.

We just returned from an 18 day transatlantic cruise on the MSC Divina and it was the CRUISE FROM HELL!!! We are experienced cruisers and this was, by a mile, the worst company we have ever sailed with. Although we could write a book about our experience, we will give just a few instances of what we put up with. The many people we spoke with aboard ship agreed that MSC is not a cruise line they would use again. Should you want additional information, don’t hesitate to respond.

First, and most important, the lack of sanitation standards in areas where food is available was frightening. This ship is ripe for a Norovirus! We witnessed very few people attempt to use the hand sanitizers before entering a restaurant or the buffet. There was one hand sanitizer available at each door to the buffet but 90% of the time they were either empty or broken. We witnessed people reaching into the buffet and picking up food by their hands. We witnessed people using the tongs to pick up the food and then laying the tongs back onto the food. We witnessed officers reach into the covered pasty stand at the Café Italia and take pastries using their hands rather than the tongs available.

Second, MSC stands for Mediterranean Shipping Company and from the first to the last day we were treated as cargo by the staff. In particular, the employees of Guest Services are extremely rude and unprofessional, and would rather not be bothered by the passengers. For example, we witnessed a passenger discussing an issue with a front desk staff person. He was treated rudely and was not offered any assistance. The front desk person then turned to his peers and began loudly, laughingly and expressively mocking the guest.

Each time we talked with a staff member at Guest Services we were made to feel as though we were imposing upon them. For example, the most serious issue we brought to their attention was the noxious smell of very strong fumes from the use of deck cleaning solvents and painting being done on the ship the last 9 days of the cruise, particularly in our hallway on deck 9 and in our room. We reported the issue on the second of the 9 days and were informed that no painting was being done. We returned to Guest Services the following day to report that we saw where painting was being done and solvents were being used only to be told that the chemicals were non-hazardous. In speaking with a number of guests and crew, all responded that they were bothered by the fumes as well. By the final day of the cruise we found it impossible to find an area within the ship where we could not smell the fumes.

Third, the staff did nothing to manage the disembarkation process at ports, which resulted in people shoving, pushing, crowding, and coming from all directions to use the two gangplanks, which were simultaneously used for embarkation. It was extremely stressful and unnecessary chaos!

What hog wash , you wasted your time and others. So you could not find 1 area on the massive ship to escape the paint smell and yet another person was on deck 9 and smelled nothing. We have been on the Divina 5x and have never experienced any rude guest service personnel .

Never really had an issue with guest services and while they may not be able to give you the answer you want to hear right away (Its the Italian way) you will get an answer. Go in like a Grenade going off and that is what will come back at you.

Maybe the smell of fumes was from the painting of exterior handrails with varnish who knows and I am sure that Beamafar would have noticed it.

I have to agree on the point of hand sanitisers on the Divina, on our T.A which was Divina`s first there were a number of occasions when they were empty or did not work, we and others made mention of it to the managerial staff.

One thing that does let down MSC badly is organisation at ports when people are leaving the ship.

I notice no mention of the usual farce that is US immigration in St Thomas though!

As far as I can recall MSC have not had an outbreak of Norovirus.

Just to let everyone know this reviewer/poster actually posted this on our Roll Call for Dec. 5th. They wanted us to know what to expect 2 weeks prior to our cruise!!! I was on Divina in April and had a fabulous time. Great enough to get home and book a B2B. This review certainly was not my experience. To post this on a roll call, which I can't understand why Dec 5th was chosen, is just ridiculous. As I said before post this in the "review" section.

Interesting comments! I'm curious to know if you enjoyed the shows, the restaurants, the port stops and the different lounges and bars. Thanks in advance!

As you know, Dave, I posted on another thread about the issues I had on this cruise, but to describe it as "The cruise from hell" is a bit hyperbolic to say the least! You only have to read other boards to see that ALL cruiselines have their problems and detractors.

There are a couple of points I would agree with. One is regarding the sanitisers. However, regarding the issue of passengers handling food and laying tongs back on top of food in the buffet, that happens on all cruise lines. Again, just read other boards to find that same complaint. It's not exclusive to MSC! The other is regarding the lack of organisation when trying to get off at ports.

As I've said before, there were a few MINOR issues but they didn't get in the way of my overall enjoyment of this trip. What always surprises me is the level of expectation some have when paying so little per day for the experience!

Hello Beamafar,

I searched for your review but did not find it. :confused:

Could you post a link?

TIA !!!

I didn't write a review - I just posted on another thread. Here's a link to the post

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48286496&postcount=47

and one to the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48289117#post48289117

Bea ... I remember our Xmas cruise with Costa a few years back when we did a tour of the Kitchens on Xmas day with other English speakers who were onboard,we were amazed when we were told what Costa spent at that time per day per head on food which was 4 Euros each!

As you know, Dave, I posted on another thread about the issues I had on this cruise, but to describe it as "The cruise from hell" is a bit hyperbolic to say the least! You only have to read other boards to see that ALL cruiselines have their problems and detractors.

There are a couple of points I would agree with. One is regarding the sanitisers. However, regarding the issue of passengers handling food and laying tongs back on top of food in the buffet, that happens on all cruise lines. Again, just read other boards to find that same complaint. It's not exclusive to MSC! The other is regarding the lack of organisation when trying to get off at ports.

As I've said before, there were a few MINOR issues but they didn't get in the way of my overall enjoyment of this trip. What always surprises me is the level of expectation some have when paying so little per day for the experience!

Now . where else you can put tongs if not back on food? :confused::confused:

As far as the hand sanitizers go, they all should be ditched and replaced with soap and water. The hand sanitizers give everyone a false sense of security but are ineffective if the hands are not already clean.

TRUE! also the more you use it the less effective it becomes. Hand washing is exactly what needs to been most. Buffets anywhere are not the most sanitary, you take your chances that everyone is as clean and thoughtful as you are.

MSC appears to be the cleanest ship I've been on and I checked - never an outbreak of the Norovirus.

Still hoping someone explains this because I might inadvertently be doing it wrong.

You're supposed to leave the tongs on the plate which is usually placed in front of the food in question. In the absence of a plate, you should not let the handle of the tongs touch the food but some barbarians leave it or throw the tongs in the wrong way.

The biggest challenge on any cruise is usually your fellow passengers who always seem to

(1) want what you are considering

(2) don't understand the concept of queuing

(3) want to use the elevators at the same time as you/ go the show at the same time

(4) let their kids run about

(5) bring their chest infections with them and, most importantly...

(6) go on the same cruise as ME!!:D

The best way to kill germs is not the pump of that gloop they give you. It is washing with soap and water. The gloop does not kill the noro virus. Only soap and water does. People skip washing their hands thinking they will just use the sanitizers and be done with it.

MSC is such a clean ship. I am amazed at what this poster said. They have people cleaning the rails of the stair cases all the time.

I have found that the guest services react to YOUR demeanor. IF you are screaming at them, you do not get very far with them. we have had some issues also, but the guest services have always been kind and helpful.

The staff is what makes MSC so wonderful. They are trained to interact.

The ship is beautiful.

The shows are the best seen in the cruise world.

The food can be hit or miss, as all ships, but I have no complaints.

The service has been fantastic , with wait staff going out of their way to please.

Who cares what MSC stands for. They are the only family owned cruise line where the bottom line is NOT the making of a buck... it is not a budget cruise line, but they do not gouge you.

I have found that this line delivers something very unique and rare found on a cruise line: Heart, soul and elegance. Coming onto the ship has always brought me a sense of happiness, and leaving always brings tears.

We love MSC and will be sailing on MSC as much as we can!

The best way to kill germs is not the pump of that gloop they give you. It is washing with soap and water. The gloop does not kill the noro virus. Only soap and water does. People skip washing their hands thinking they will just use the sanitizers and be done with it.

MSC is such a clean ship. I am amazed at what this poster said. They have people cleaning the rails of the stair cases all the time.

I have found that the guest services react to YOUR demeanor. IF you are screaming at them, you do not get very far with them. we have had some issues also, but the guest services have always been kind and helpful.

The staff is what makes MSC so wonderful. They are trained to interact.

The ship is beautiful.

The shows are the best seen in the cruise world.

The food can be hit or miss, as all ships, but I have no complaints.

The service has been fantastic , with wait staff going out of their way to please.

Who cares what MSC stands for. They are the only family owned cruise line where the bottom line is NOT the making of a buck... it is not a budget cruise line, but they do not gouge you.

I have found that this line delivers something very unique and rare found on a cruise line: Heart, soul and elegance. Coming onto the ship has always brought me a sense of happiness, and leaving always brings tears.

We love MSC and will be sailing on MSC as much as we can!

Well said, Cam! I agree with you 100%. I have sailed Divina 4 times with numbers 5, 6, 7, and 8 upcoming. It is, by FAR, my favorite cruise line!