Sinfonia and Mykonos stop

CruiseIreland

Hi all. We are sailing on MSC Sinfonia next year and l would like some information from any who have (a) sailed Sinfonia since the Renaissance and (b) called at Mykonos.

Firstly, we booked this as we got a great deal. We were not planning to cruise next year. So, what can we expect in terms of food, service and entertainment? Are the pool decks as crowded as on the bigger ships?

Secondly, the itinerary states we arrive at Mykonos at 20.00 and leave again at 02.00, I.e. 6 hrs later. Is this correct as it hardly seems worth the stop? I would like to see Mykonos but it will be dark and late, so may not go ashore, especially UF we have to tender.

Thanks in anticipation. Ken.

Edited by CruiseIreland

I was on the SINFONIA in July. I had a lovely time. All cruise lines pool decks are crowded 😐

I liked all the live music. They have a lot dance/circus type shows due to all the nationalities on board.

I would say that Mykonos times are a misprint I would say that the proper times are 8 am to 2pm. MSC wouldn't be able to make any money off of the stop as everyone would be having dinner so couldn't do excursions (everything would be shut anyway) or people would get off to go drinking which would loose the cruise ship money. I would check what excursions are offered if they are day tours you will know if they gor times mixed up 😉

We were in Mykanos some years back and as we were leaving at 5pm there was an MSC ship heading into the port so the time may well be correct! on some ports they do have very short stops and Corfu is one of them.

Hi Ken

I'll be depending on you to return with lots of info re the ship as I'm booked on her later in the year and haven't sailed that class yet ;) Pete (Skier52) has already posted some great little titbits about the cabin I've booked - I'll have to go on a search soon and find it to bookmark it :rolleyes:

Anyway, hope you have a fantastic trip. Don't forget to update your signature so I can keep an eye out for your review at the time :D

PS Seems like a very odd time in the day for a port stop, alright!

Edited by Beamafar

We just returned and Mykonos is a lovely island.

The town is small and we just strolled and did some shopping. We also had a late departure and I think a fair number of pax stayed in town to eat.

As for tendering versus docking, the center of town is a long walk from the docking pier and we were glad we tendered. Dropped us off right near the center of town.

Hi all. We are sailing on MSC Sinfonia next year and l would like some information from any who have (a) sailed Sinfonia since the Renaissance and (b) called at Mykonos.

Firstly, we booked this as we got a great deal. We were not planning to cruise next year. So, what can we expect in terms of food, service and entertainment? Are the pool decks as crowded as on the bigger ships?

Secondly, the itinerary states we arrive at Mykonos at 20.00 and leave again at 02.00, I.e. 6 hrs later. Is this correct as it hardly seems worth the stop? I would like to see Mykonos but it will be dark and late, so may not go ashore, especially UF we have to tender.

Thanks in anticipation. Ken.

We had similar times in 2004 on the Costa Victoria. We went into Mykonos Town, had a couple of drinks at a nice Bar, then went for a lovely meal at a great Restaurant. At that time of night, the Town was really lively and we had a great time. We also did not tender, and had shuttle buses running till pretty late in the night.

Yes, those times for Mykonos are correct. You will be in Santorini in the morning and then call to Mykonos that evening/night, which is definitely not ideal for sightseeing!

The reason for the late night stop at Mykonos is the islands famous nightlife. The town is really busy with party people. The town itself is very cozy with many restaurants, bars and shops. Have a drink and enjoy Mykonos which is also famous for it's vibrant gaylife.

We sailed the sistership MSC Armonia after the Renaissance program last January and the ship is really great. As a result of the program the outer decks have much more space and the interiors onboard are totally renewed. But only two jacuzzis and that's not enough. But you have the pools. What I liked best with the ship was the relaxing and cozy atmosphere onboard. Big is not always best.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Some videos from MSC Armonia:

The Atrium:

The Armonia Lounge

Pooldeck:

Our Balcony Cabin:

View from the stern:

Edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73

Thanks all for the responses, especially NorwegianCruiser for the vids. They led me to a video of Sinfonia post renaissance.

Kerryincork - how did you find the food and dining service?

Bea- I will cast a critical eye over her for you. You have quite a trip planned there!

Ken