What shall I wear please and is it working?

The Mommy

I have not been on board since the formal dress code was scrapped in favour of elegant chic.

I would be interested in your views as to whether this has been a good decision and if it is working well on the ships?

Are the people who are still formally dressed in the minority?

Are people generally dressing a bit smarter on the chic nights or has the move attracted an 'anything goes' attitude to dressing for dinner?

We had to cancel this years cruise and have just booked Eclipse for March and we were wondering if we will still be OK in our formal wear or should I have a re-think?

Thank you

You have over 2,000 posts on these boards. Surely you have seen the numerous threads on this topic and are aware of how divided the community is. You will not get a definitive answer.

I highly recommend that you do a quick search and read the numerous contentious discussions on the matter, including the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Then you can decide for yourself.

We were on Solstice in February and there were a fair number of people (us included) who still dressed formally, and most of the rest dressed elegantly. That cruise was an NZ to Australia cruise so everyone on the ship had to deal with at least one flight with baggage restrictions so the overall standard of dress seems to imply that Celebrity cruisers are still making an effort to look dressed up on those nights, even if they've travelled some distance. Note, there is usually a higher percentage of British and American cruisers on the Solstice NZ cruises than on other cruises we've been on out of Australia.

We were on Solstice in February and there were a fair number of people (us included) who still dressed formally, and most of the rest dressed elegantly. That cruise was an NZ to Australia cruise so everyone on the ship had to deal with at least one flight with baggage restrictions so the overall standard of dress seems to imply that Celebrity cruisers are still making an effort to look dressed up on those nights, even if they've travelled some distance. Note, there is usually a higher percentage of British and American cruisers on the Solstice NZ cruises than on other cruises we've been on out of Australia.

We have done 45 cruises but none on Celebrity,mainly on RCI.

I seem to remember reading that Celebrity have done away or going to do away with Formal nights so worth checking as it would make your choice easier.

OP, I'll give you a definitive answer. If you enjoy dressing formally, then do it. :D

You will stand out without being out of place. It may even work to your benefit for perhaps a touch of better service from long time crew members. I learned long ago that dress does matter on how people treat you and their perceptions of you without you acting any differently.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

The beauty of the new dress code is you can dress how you wish within limited guidelines and should not feel ashamed how you dress. Just go and enjoy yourself. With that being said, itinerary will make a difference in how people dress.

In my opinion the move to Evening Chic has resulted in a considerable move towards more casual dressing. I have seen every kind of outfit on those nights. Many people comply, but I think a larger percentage than previously just ignore it.

This is not an editorial comment as to whether that is good or bad - simply my observation over 10 or so cruises since it changed.

OP, I'll give you a definitive answer. If you enjoy dressing formally, then do it. :D

You will stand out without being out of place. It may even work to your benefit for perhaps a touch of better service from long time crew members. I learned long ago that dress does matter on how people treat you and their perceptions of you without you acting any differently.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thats true my wife wears a different cocktail dress every night and gets plenty of compliments,me? I get better service because i tip well.lol

Enjoy your cruise.

Excellent point.

Generally, I saw men wearing nice "polo" shirts or those floral Hawaii-type shirts. Very few tuxedos. Women wearing nice dresses or nice tops with capris or pants. Not many gowns. We were thrilled to not have to pack a blazer for my dh. He wears his BIrkenstocks with his long pants to dinner. I've seen lots of men who do that.

You will not be "out of place" on "formal" nights (or whatever they call them now!) Others may be 'underdressed', but that's not your problem! If you want to dress to the nines...go for it! It's nice to look good!

You will not be "out of place" on "formal" nights (or whatever they call them now!) Others may be 'underdressed', but that's not your problem! If you want to dress to the nines...go for it! It's nice to look good!

I agree 100%.IMO on a ship it is better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Hi "mommy"

On same cruise as you next March. Also on Solstice this past Feb. as well as a few others since the new dress code. There were several in cocktail dresses, although more simple than sparkly. Very few long gowns. Some tuxs. My husband typically wore a golf style shirt with a sports coat ( it was very cool in the MDR this past cruise). I typically wear dresses to dinner anyway but did wear a more dressy lacy dress one evening and long, but casual style dresses on smart casual night. As others have said no right or wrong. Saw very few people in inappropriate dress for a smart casual night. We do miss the formal nights- made the cruise seem really special but we are probably in the monority.

Vicky

I love this response - it works for me ;)

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi, we were on Solstice at Christmas, our first cruise since evening chic was introduced. We love dressing up so we're apprehensive about what to expect. Perhaps it was just that it was Xmas/new year but it was one of the dressier cruises we've ever been on. The majority made a real effort every night regardless of dress suggestion. Most noticeable was fewer traditional (dare I say old-fashioned) prom dresses and much more modern style. Dresses of all lengths (silk slip dresses to cocktail to full length), fewer tuxes but most men in jackets and dress pants with or without ties.

We came away converted!

We just cruised on the Equinox two weeks ago. A majority of the people dressed up. Women wore long and short cocktail dresses, and the men wore suits, sport coats, button down collared shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just cruised on the Equinox two weeks ago. A majority of the people dressed up. Women wore long and short cocktail dresses, and the men wore suits, sport coats, button down collared shirts.

Doesn't that look better than shorts and tank tops?.

Yes!!! Shorts and tank tops are fine for the buffet but not okay for the MDR. On several occasions, we saw men and women show up at the MDR in shorts. The Equinox staff politely told them that they needed to adhere to the dress code. We found that a majority of the passengers dressed appropriately and followed the dress code.

See my reply below.

We agree totally.

I personally only wear tailored shorts and logo polo shirts during the day and my wife prefers the white Egyptian cotton outfits.

At night time trousers and shirt and cocktail dress for my wife.

It is a pleasure to see other people well dressed.

We agree totally.

I personally only wear tailored shorts and logo polo shirts during the day and my wife prefers the white Egyptian cotton outfits.

At night time trousers and shirt and cocktail dress for my wife.

It is a pleasure to see other people well dressed.

My husband dresses the same way you do. I took several dresses and slacks/tops to wear. I did take shorts to wear on our excursions, but they were modest in length. We found that most people were dressed tastefully. We had a bad experience on Carnival last November, and we will not be sailing with them again.

My husband dresses the same way you do. I took several dresses and slacks/tops to wear. I did take shorts to wear on our excursions, but they were modest in length. We found that most people were dressed tastefully. We had a bad experience on Carnival last November, and we will not be sailing with them again.

A wise choice.

I inadvertently posted on a Carnival dress thread and was accused of living in a bygone age with a picture of Abe Lincoln attached.

My wife wears a different cocktail dress every night where previously she would wear a tafata type evening dress but she always looks nice and I'm sure yourself and your husband look very smart too.