Mini Review of Top Deck Burger Bar on Constellation

TeeRick

Thanks for your observations and posting on Cruise Critic. What you describe was not my experience the previous week. During lunch there was a line at TDBB almost every day. I watched them cook fresh burgers. There was never a tray of precooked burgers except in the Oceanview Cafe. It took about ten minutes from the time of ordering to get your burger cooked to your specification. It makes no sense that they would have precooked burgers given the concept of TDBB.

I'd upload photos if the forum would let me or I could work out how to - today I did see 1 person order 2 burgers.

Most of the time all I've seen is bored staff with grill's looking like they've never been used.

btw - I'd welcome a conversation with celebrity management if they'd like to contact me for feedback

there's also a n-virus outbreak abroad now - not suggesting that what I saw was connected (pre-cooked burgers sitting in high temperatures for an extended period of time & 1-2 days later a significant number of passengers & crew are ill) - serious enough that the staff have implemented new containment protocols (mandatory hand sanitizing all over ship, no more self-service at the buffet, announcements from the captain every day, stronger chemicals visibly in use all over ship)..

what's also interesting is I haven't seen anyone mention the n-virus anywhere on this forum..

last count I heard yesterday was 164 pass + 24 staff in quarantine

& no RICHSEA I'm not a one-hit wonder but an increasingly concerned & not very impressed passenger

I'd upload photos if the forum would let me or I could work out how to - today I did see 1 person order 2 burgers.

I'd like to see your pictures. You can upload them to a free PhotoBucket account. Then click on the picture in your album. On the right will be links to your picture. Click the direct link and it's copied. Then on your post, click on the mountain picture icon in the menu bar. Just paste it into the popup.

You can post five pictures in one post.

I hope you stay healthy.

& no RICHSEA I'm not a one-hit wonder but an increasingly concerned & not very impressed passenger

Thanks for returning macfcc. Stay well. Sailing on a noro ship is no fun.

Hopefullywe there wil be others reporting their impressions of the $10.00 burgers.

OMG! I haven't been able to cruise for a few years, but I'm still aghast that they've eliminated the no-extra-charge pool/mast grill and are now charging for burgers at that location on the Connie.

Not sure when we'll be able to sail again, but I'd be pretty upset if this continued. The burgers and fries at the mast grill were always fresh and great. I seriously doubt they'll match that at the buffet area, and there is no way I'm going to pay $10 for a burger for lunch on a cruise.

OMG! I haven't been able to cruise for a few years, but I'm still aghast that they've eliminated the no-extra-charge pool/mast grill and are now charging for burgers at that location on the Connie.

Not sure when we'll be able to sail again, but I'd be pretty upset if this continued. The burgers and fries at the mast grill were always fresh and great. I seriously doubt they'll match that at the buffet area, and there is no way I'm going to pay $10 for a burger for lunch on a cruise.

It is a bummer but at least it's not fleet wide, yet. If Celebrity decides to make it fleet wide then we'll elect not to have a burger while on that specific cruise. Always about choices.

Glad to see you back. You've been one of the most helpful posters on Cruise Critic. Hope you can continue cruising very soon.

Johnny Rockets burgers, although tasty, are not as good as the TDBB burgers in my opinion as I have tried both. I did not see my burger at TDBB advertised as Kobe beef.

I'm fairly certain all of the burgers at TDBB are advertised as Kobe beef (as is the hot dog). Here's a copy of the photographed menu. The top section is cut off but in the BYOB section, you see that it says Kobe Beef - presumably this is the same patty used in all of the burgers above.

2s7v1v6.jpg

Fancy burgers not for me..pork belly burger sounds bad..along with alot of the other stuff..and the jr burger does say kobe as does the kobe beef dog. Not planning any more M class trips past our Oct cruise on Infinity so hope we will avoid this issue.

Lawn Club Grill lunch sounds like a better deal...at least you get a seat...

Connie is our fav older ship...sorry to hear there is illness on board. Doubtful Celeb mgmt will be contacting anyone...we hardly ever hear from Celeb Official on cruise critic anymore!

Fancy burgers not for me..pork belly burger sounds bad..along with alot of the other stuff..and the jr burger does say kobe as does the kobe beef dog. Not planning any more M class trips past our Oct cruise on Infinity so hope we will avoid this issue.

Lawn Club Grill lunch sounds like a better deal...at least you get a seat...

Connie is our fav older ship...sorry to hear there is illness on board. Doubtful Celeb mgmt will be contacting anyone...we hardly ever hear from Celeb Official on cruise critic anymore!

Pork belly is very similar to bacon; same part of the cow, but is uncured / not smoked - and usually tastier (wouldn't surprise me if when Celebrity is using the term "pork belly" what they are really serving is bacon). I don't think the burger that mentions pork belly is literally made out of pork belly, it is probably just their regular faux Kobe beef patty topped with pork belly or bacon (along with the other items described).

Nice to see you posting again Larry! I wondered where you had gone. Hope you can get back to cruising. And I'm with you, not paying $10 for a burger on a ship at a takeaway counter.

Pork belly is very similar to bacon; same part of the cow, but is uncured / not smoked - and usually tastier (wouldn't surprise me if when Celebrity is using the term "pork belly" what they are really serving is bacon).

And I had always thought that pork belly and bacon came from pigs, not from cows.

And I had always thought that pork belly and bacon came from pigs, not from cows.

caribill, on the Planet Kobe all ungulates are the same. Therefore, pigs are cows and cows are pigs, meaning porcine equals bovine and vice versa. Either way, on Kobe they are special and expensive.

Next on the menu, Kobe Wild Boar Pork Belly and Beef Burger in a Chipotle Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce, with Pineapple and Coconut Aioli. $16.95

Celebrity has now created an interesting dilemma: aggravate passengers by taking away a historically public recreation area and thereby further reducing the already declining public areas onboard, or risk reducing their calculated potential revenue because customers insist on a dedicated dining area in which to consume their for fee "gourmet" poolside hamburgers, hotdogs, and veggieburgers.

Another 'Good to see👀 You again' Larry.

When you do get to return, and I do know the feeling, when we were land locked from 2003-07, book the Equinox with the GastroBar. The $10 burger there is simply the best burger we have had on a ship. Can't wait to be back on the Reflection to try the lunch Lawn Club one.

EW

Ha, nice catch. Pigs and cows are about as similar as Kobe beef is to what Celebrity is calling falsely calling Kobe beef. Actually I take that back, pigs and cows are more similar!

Whatever it's called or wherever it comes from, the food combos for these burgers are stuff we would not touch...very prententious sounding. They are trying to make a burger into a gourmet meal so they can upcharge....

At the pool area, just give us a good freshly made and cooked 100 % beef burger or dog, fixins in the side...,and crispy fries..,with a non soggy non stale bun....

If we want something more there are already other options on board...

Whatever it's called or wherever it comes from, the food combos for these burgers are stuff we would not touch...very prententious sounding. They are trying to make a burger into a gourmet meal so they can upcharge....

At the pool area, just give us a good freshly made and cooked 100 % beef burger or dog, fixins in the side...,and crispy fries..,with a non soggy non stale bun....

If we want something more there are already other options on board...

No longer an option on Constellation- you need to go to the pre-cooked burger tray in Oceanview Cafe.

Thanks for the update.

We were looking for a table in the Spa Cafe and they were filled up. There were signs on the table about having the tables for the diners. There was one where they were playing cards. The manager asked them to leave because they weren't eating. The female ( don't want to say lady and was probably a condo commando) made a remark and got up and picked up a bread stick and laid it on the table ( no plate) and then looked around in defiance just wanting someone to challenge her.

There should be signs stating no reading, or game playing during the dining hours.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Same problem exists on Princess. Especially troublesome on a sea day when trying to find a seat in the buffet. They do put cards at each table requesting that passengers show courtesy and vacate when finished easting to free up space for other passengers trying to find a seat to enjoy their meal. These cards are universally ignored by the Mahjong hordes.....

Bob

Happy to see your post today and hope you are able to cruise again soon. Your posts are always so informative.