The Fourth of July

Ladytee47

They. gave everyone sparklers while we were onboard. They waited until everyone had a bit too much to drink and then passed them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

They. gave everyone sparklers while we were onboard. They waited until everyone had a bit too much to drink and then passed them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Considering fire and burn hazards, I am surprised that they handed out sparklers.

DON

July 4, 2000, we were on the inaugural cruise of the Millennium. The ship lost all engine power for a few hours in the Baltic Sea that day. The ship did get one engine going and it limped into Rostock, Germany. A new engine was flown in from France and installed overnight. Passengers were given free tours of the city, ship's drinks were free, and everyone had a great time - except for the few grouches you find on all cruises.

On the first Celebrity cruise we took on the second night,there were fireworks. We thought,wow, this is some kind of cruise! Turns out some extremely wealthy people were getting married and the fireworks were part of the celebration provided by them. The word going around was they also had to pay for the extra fuel that was needed to slow the ship down in order to view the fireworks and then to get the ship going up to speed again. That was the rumour going around.

Norwegian does it also, saw it on Smithonian channels Mighty Cruise ships..

No longer, according to this article: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6472

Having read a number of other articles, it appears that Disney uses a patented compressed air system to launch the fireworks, so there is no ignition until they are well clear of the ship. Disney, with its parks/resorts in many countries plus its fleet of ships, is apparently the world's largest consumer of fireworks. The compressed air system was reportedly developed to eliminate ground-level smoke on land and was a perfect solution for ships.