Booking Strategies

GStonelake

Looking at sales this coming weekend ... I've priced several big box type agencies, in addition to Celebrity. Figured out the lowest price with perk options. Found the A1 cabin I want for the A2 price as advertised for being a Captain Club member. Now the only item stopping completion of the booking is: Do I wait and book on board my next cruise in Nov hoping for a better deal, or do I just commit? Are prices lower with an on board booking or is it just the deposit/higher OBC? Is it worth the risk of loosing preferred cabin?

Would love to hear booking Strategies form longtime cruisers.

In order to answer meaningfully I'd ask if you have any access to historic price data for that cruise. This assumes of course that it is not a brand new itinerary. Is it likely to sell out fast? If so, book now and you can always rebook if the price does drop.

If it's one of the few that don't seem to book well until the end then hold off.

For example the 14 day Southern Caribbean Eclipse sailings which were very popular needed to be booked far in advance to get the best deals and best room. On the flip sides some of the M class Asian sailings that don't feature Japan (popular destination and not too many trips there with Celebrity) can plummet in price after final payment date. Sailings on Summit out of NY don't always do well with people probably put off with the sea days and older ship etc.

Unfortunately with your next sailing being a few months away it's difficult to say what offers will be available to you once onboard. They can be very good, so perhaps if you book now you can compare and if the added perks give you a better deal then cancel and rebook onboard etc. Hope that helps.

In order to answer meaningfully I'd ask if you have any access to historic price data for that cruise. This assumes of course that it is not a brand new itinerary. Is it likely to sell out fast? If so, book now and you can always rebook if the price does drop.

If it's one of the few that don't seem to book well until the end then hold off.

For example the 14 day Southern Caribbean Eclipse sailings which were very popular needed to be booked far in advance to get the best deals and best room. On the flip sides some of the M class Asian sailings that don't feature Japan (popular destination and not too many trips there with Celebrity) can plummet in price after final payment date. Sailings on Summit out of NY don't always do well with people probably put off with the sea days and older ship etc.

Unfortunately with your next sailing being a few months away it's difficult to say what offers will be available to you once onboard. They can be very good, so perhaps if you book now you can compare and if the added perks give you a better deal then cancel and rebook onboard etc. Hope that helps.

Thanks for info! Unfortunately I don't have historical data, it is currently the only 14-day Caribbean showing up in 2019, that is not a B2B. I will look at the book/cancel option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guest Nellsmom58

Remember too that onboard bookings typically have lower deposits and onboard credit, which may impact your decisions.

Has anyone found that the "Big Box" store prices are any different from booking directly with Celebrity? I ran a couple of scenarios, and all are the same. Maybe I'm missing something?

I think that the prices are generally the same. But Ebates will give you cash back on certain cruise bookings. I got 12% cash back on a Big Box Celebrity cruise booking (currently 10%) plus an additional $150 onboard credit through the big box (not through Celebrity). I think that another big box is also 10% cash back right now for cruises.

Edited by Tarf

Thanks for info! Unfortunately I don't have historical data, it is currently the only 14-day Caribbean showing up in 2019, that is not a B2B. I will look at the book/cancel option.

That itinerary for 2018 is approx $2000 more per person for a sky suite over what we paid in 2017 but booked in 2015. As Celebrity have made the very unfortunate decision to cancel this great and popular itinerary I would assume it will sell very well and thus I'd say book asap. I would imagine you won't get a better deal overall when booking onboard in november. But if you do, just cancel and rebook then you can't lose.

Guest Nellsmom58

Big box stores sometimes have a fee and deposit refund restrictions not seen on direct bookings, and insurance is different sometimes through box box vs direct companies. Do your research before booking if you can.

Has anyone found that the "Big Box" store prices are any different from booking directly with Celebrity? I ran a couple of scenarios, and all are the same. Maybe I'm missing something?

I booked a cruise next march when my large New England cruise agency had their Memorial Day sail. The price was about $100 less for a cat 2D cabin and we ended up with grats, drink package and $350 obc. I then found an old passages deposit that they worked on for me and now am receiving another $100 obc and the deposit credited towards the cruise!

Big Box prices are generally the same, but you'll get additional perks. Our perk for an upcoming cruise booked with a Big Box store is a $500 cash card.

OP, I would book now as I doubt that the price on board will be as good as the present price.

Found 'sale' through large agency that is much lower then Celebrity prices and includes more perks then Celebrity is currently offering. Of course all research so far has been done online. I have placed a HOLD on room through Celebrity (know they will call me tomorrow -- they always do with I place a HOLD) and will ask about the price/perk difference. Also have sent a note to the large agency to ensure that price/perks showing online are correct (with no hidden fees). Large agency does have a $50.00 pp nonrefundable fee, but their price is much lower

Thank you all who responded to my question about comparison pricing. I have a similar question about booking with a Travel Agent vs. Celebrity direct. What are the advantages/disavantages of using a Travel Agent?

Thank you all who responded to my question about comparison pricing. I have a similar question about booking with a Travel Agent vs. Celebrity direct. What are the advantages/disavantages of using a Travel Agent?

The advantage of a travel agent is that they can often get you additional perks. The disadvantage is that many do not really know the ships, itineraries, etc. Also, my agent at Celebrity has gotten us free upgrades and have given us first hand information about ships, dining venues, etc.

The main disadvantage to a TA is that if yours is difficult to get ahold of or has bad information you are stuck with them. You can't transfer your booking to another TA or celebrity without them agreeing to it and celebrity won't talk to you about your reservation.

The advantage is if you use a TA agency that books sufficient volume you may get better pricing, have more leverage with celebrity if there are any issues, and get bonus OBC or perks from the TA.

I use a large online agency and I do get better prices from them than from celebrity but that is only on regular veranda rooms. Never tried pricing out aqua class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The main disadvantage to a TA is that if yours is difficult to get ahold of or has bad information you are stuck with them. You can't transfer your booking to another TA or celebrity without them agreeing to it and celebrity won't talk to you about your reservation.

The advantage is if you use a TA agency that books sufficient volume you may get better pricing, have more leverage with celebrity if there are any issues, and get bonus OBC or perks from the TA.

I use a large online agency and I do get better prices from them than from celebrity but that is only on regular veranda rooms. Never tried pricing out aqua class.

Thank you! Appreciate the thorough response.

In my experience, the prices at the online TA's I use are generally lower than celebrity's prices due to their group bookings and come with additional perks. I would book before and then if the offer on-board is wonderful you can cancel the first booking. Be wary of cancellation fees at some large online TA's though.

In my experience, the prices at the online TA's I use are generally lower than celebrity's prices due to their group bookings and come with additional perks. I would book before and then if the offer on-board is wonderful you can cancel the first booking. Be wary of cancellation fees at some large online TA's though.

I have yet to see any suites with group bookings, so I book with Celebrity and then transfer to my TA for extra OBC. She does not have a cancelation fee. One of my cruising buddies always books with a big box agency to get the extra off for veranda cabins. It just depends on a variety of factors, but it is always good to sho around...

Booked through online TA with Group Booking available, quite a bit cheaper then Big Box or Celebrity. Downside ... $50.00 change fee pp and they would not entertain the 1 Category Upgrade as Captain Club Member ):

That is correct about group rates not getting the Captains Club benefits of 1 category upgrade and reduced deposit. We took that as a trade off for a lower fare and more perks on the one cruise we booked that way. It is a trade off. Most of the CC upgrades save me less than $100 while the extra perks are worth far more. The reduced deposit? Well I have to pay the money at some point so it is not a big deal.