Helipad at Sailaway from Ft. Lauderdale

tbmrt

Just read that passes for sailaway on the Helipad were given out at the Concierge lunch on embarkation day.

Wondering if these passes are distributed at all the Concierge lunches.

In the past we headed to the top deck to look down upon the dancers and be near the outside railings to watch the ship leave. However, I seem to remember being disappointed that there was very little pizzazz, music, etc. at our last Equinox sailaway so we may try the helipad on our upcoming Reflection cruise.

Are drinks available at the Helipad or would we bring them with us?

They will offer one glass of sparkling wine. No entertainment or music. Photographers go around trying to get you to have a picture taken.

About concierge lunch, from what I read it is only offered on the day you embark.

I don't know what the big attraction is by being on the helipad other than the novelty of being there and being invited.

We gone to it twice. The first time because we never been there before and wanted to be among the "special". To get there you stand in a long line a service halfway that really gets hot and stuffy while waiting to go out to it. You will walk thru narrow spaces and some low ceilings and doorways, and over bulkhead thresholds that makes the line move slowly. The pad was very crowded and unless you get there first you will not have a place along the rail. Being on a low deck unless you are along the rail you really don't get to see anything.

We went one other time just to see if it was any different and it wasn't. We have been invited many times and now just watch the sail away from our balcony or a upper deck.

I am sure that others may feel different but if you don't get invited don't feel as if you missed anything. If you are in a high end suite and get a private invite that only has 20 to 30 people it may be different.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We enjoy the helipad invite. But we don't get there early, not a fan of lines.

Plus if you arrive a little later, those who camp out at the coveted railing eventually get bored and leave. Perfect!

I agree that the whole Helipad Sail-Away is overrated. On our Solstice cruise this past January, we were invited to the Helipad for the sail-away out of Sydney, Australia as we were in a Royal Suite. It was ok, but nothing to rave about. One glass of bubbly, several photographers, a few Officers milling around to say hello and lots of people along the railings. Honestly, it was difficult to get any decent photos on our own. Thank goodness we've taken a ferry around Sydney Harbor in the past - had this been the only opportunity to see the Harbor Bridge & Opera House, I would have been quite disappointed. To each his (or her) own.

We enjoy the helipad invite. But we don't get there early, not a fan of lines.

Plus if you arrive a little later, those who camp out at the coveted railing eventually get bored and leave. Perfect!

I agree! We were invited this last cruise out of Malta, and then again a second time in Santorini, I think. (Didn't make that one.) We always enjoy the sailaways on the bow. And we have had music! Once out of Stockholm, and once out of Lisbon.

We have enjoyed two Heliport sailaways for loyalty groups; once sailing out of Stockholm through the archipelago on the Brilliance of the Seas and the other on the Infinity out of Geiranger through the fjord. Both were obviously through wonderful vistas and they provided cocktails and hor d'oeuvres for about an hour and a half.

The locale and loyalty reception makes a big difference.

We were n our first X cruise and received an invite to the helipad sailaway. Windy and crowded so for us, one and done. Our upcoming cruises will find us enjoying sailaway on our balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

During our Hong Kong to Shanghai cruise last March on the Millennium there were a number of times the captain would announce that he was opening the helipad for those who wanted to go out. Sometimes it was sail away, a few mornings it was an arrival under a spectacular bridge. The often had a bit of recorded music playing but no drinks etc. Captain Nicholas would announce it on short notice, like "in 10 minutes we will be under the _________ Harbor bridge, the weather is nice so the helipad is open"

On our RCL cruise, there were no invitations for that area. You could just walk to that area and enjoy the experience. No big deal for us. There are better views from the higher decks.

Been on a couple of by invitation helipad 'events' . First .. the closed toes shoe inspector turns a lot of people away at the door. There is often wind and we have seen a few hats go overboard into the drink. We never stay long. Wandered out when it was open to all through the canal on a couple of trips and so hot it was unbearable

Been on a couple of by invitation helipad 'events' . First .. the closed toes shoe inspector turns a lot of people away at the door. There is often wind and we have seen a few hats go overboard into the drink. We never stay long. Wandered out when it was open to all through the canal on a couple of trips and so hot it was unbearable

There are many variables involved in determining whether or not it will be an enjoyable experience

-- the temperature and humidity that day,

the angle of the sun,

how windy it is,

how crowded it is,

your own physical condition,

whether you get to sit down or need to stand the entire time.

(But even when you can get a seat, there may be people blocking your view, and the limited seating out there is not very comfortable.)

After trying the helipad a few times on different ships, we decided it was no big deal and that we prefer to stay on our balcony, or else go to one of the open decks where we can get a seat with a view and some shade.

For sailing through the archipelago to and from Stockholm, we much preferred the views from the rear of the ship. There we could sit in comfort enjoying a meal, or relaxing on a lounger while watching the scenery, which goes on and on for hours.

But I think that everyone who is able to do so should go out on the helipad at least once, even for a short time, just to have the experience.

You can get the helipad view on the TV in your air-conditioned stateroom by turning to the bow cam channel. That way if you see the railing packed with people, you can wait until the crowd thins out before heading up there.

We have enjoyed a couple of sail aways from the helipad and also an early morning 'sail in' to Auckland. We have either been served something sparkling or hot chocolate depending on the weather and time of day.

Whilst I wouldn't describe these events as 'stunning' we have enjoyed them. We missed out in Geiranger as I had some mobility issues....

As someone else said, nice to experience, you don't need to stay long...

So concierge class is now routinely being invited but not AQU? This sounds like it has to do with being at the embark lunch rather than an invite in the stateroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have enjoyed a couple of sail aways from the helipad and also an early morning 'sail in' to Auckland. We have either been served something sparkling or hot chocolate depending on the weather and time of day.

Whilst I wouldn't describe these events as 'stunning' we have enjoyed them. We missed out in Geiranger as I had some mobility issues....

As someone else said, nice to experience, you don't need to stay long...

Was this invite related to being in concierge class, being in a suite, or related to status?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it's premature to say that Concierge Class passengers are routinely invited. There has been only one report of invitations being given out at the Concierge Class lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.

As to being invited at other times during the itinerary, the Captain decides if he or she wants to make it available and how many times during the cruise.

The Captains Club host or hostess, the Michael's Club Concierge, and the ship's general Concierge have all been known to be involved in deciding who is invited.

There may be seating on other ship's helipads, but there is no seating on any Celebrity helipad.

You are requested to wear closed toe shoes, and it is not wheelchair accessible.

On our last trip, we stayed in an AQ. Our first invite for the helipad sailaway was for Cruise Critic RC members. The second invite was, I believed, for Elite Plus. But it may have been for AQ passengers or B2B passengers.

I think it's premature to say that Concierge Class passengers are routinely invited. There has been only one report of invitations being given out at the Concierge Class lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.

As to being invited at other times during the itinerary, the Captain decides if he or she wants to make it available and how many times during the cruise.

The Captains Club host or hostess, the Michael's Club Concierge, and the ship's general Concierge have all been known to be involved in deciding who is invited.

There may be seating on other ship's helipads, but there is no seating on any Celebrity helipad.

You are requested to wear closed toe shoes, and it is not wheelchair accessible.

Good information, but closed toe shoes are REQUIRED not simply requested.