Best transport from Port Canaveral to Orlando

onesphinx2004

While there are taxis waiting at the terminal, this is not necessarily the easiest or most cost effective way to get to MCO. Yes, I've seen drivers make a deal for a flat rate, but if they go on meter for 45 minutes, that's big bucks.

There are many private towncar/limo services which you will reserve in advance. Your driver will be at the terminal waiting at your specified time and you'll know the fare in advance.

Finally, if you are on a "Participating airline" with a flight after 11:30, DCL transfers offer an amazing luggage service. You place the luggage tags that you'll get in your cabin on the bags and place them outside the cabin at the appointed time. The next time you see them is at your HOME airport. You also get your boarding passes in your cabin. When you get to MCO, you proceed thru security and to the gate; check in there! Saves a ton of time and lines at the airport as well as having to drag the bags around.

We have found the simplest way to get back to the airport is to take Disney transportation. If you are on a participating airline, as PP said, you can check your bags in onboard the ship, and then you'll see them next on the carousel at your destination. You simply need to get through Customs & Immigration, take a left turn and walk outside to the bus kiosk.

We used Happy Limo to get from WDW to the port on our last cruise. This worked very easily, and they would have picked us up for the return journey as well had we requested.

I'll split the difference. If on a participating airline, the on board check in with luggage service makes DCL transportation well worth the cost and the small amount of waiting it may entail.

If on a non-participating airline, private is better.

What about car rentals?

In my situation we are staying the week before in Orlando, and then going to Port Canaveral for the DCL. We will be renting a car for the Orlando week with a drop off in Port Canaveral. Then on the return sail date, we have an evening flight so we are planning on renting a car to do something with the few hours we have before the flight (like Kennedy space center or something).

My question: which car rental company has the most convenient drop off/pick up at Port Canaveral for the pier DCL uses? Recommendations?

How much time must be added for shuttling to/from car rental?

Hertz is closest to the terminal, Budget is about a block farther away. It is just past the RaceTrac gas station on the same side of the road (easy for filling up before the return). We typically use Budget because with the coupon codes I can find on line, they are usually the cheapest and they operate 2 shuttles on cruise days provided both are operational, drivers are not ill, etc. That makes for a faster turn around.

Returning the car is a big "nothing." I have had times when the driver and my daughter had the luggage loaded onto the shuttle and were waiting for me before I got out of the building from returning the car. Worst case, you wait for the next shuttle. If there are 2 adults in your party, the easiest thing to do is to take the family and luggage to the terminal and then return the car. While there may not be room on the shuttle for another family with luggage, there is almost always room for one person with no luggage/just a carry on.

Picking up a car after a cruise can be a pain, depending on the lines. Again, get in line for the shuttle. If there is not room to get your family on, the driver can go as a solo with no luggage. Hop off the shuttle and be in the line while the others are still dealing with their luggage. At that point, there may be no line, or definitely a shorter one! Then return to the terminal to pick up the family or keep in touch by cell phone and they can hop on the next shuttle to meet you at the car place.

For returns to MCO, be sure to save your fill up receipt--they DO check and will charge you an extra $13.99 if you can't prove you put gas in the car.

Time--15 minutes to drop off, sometimes an hour to pick up.

Edited by moki'smommy