Disney cancelled my cruise without telling me

supersi

I was answering the last post before mine. I don't see how I can quote a post on my phone so I can see how it might not make sense.

"Nonsense" is a filler word. I don't mean anything by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh OK.

New one on me. I guess everyday is a school day!

ex techie

Oh OK.

New one on me. I guess everyday is a school day!

ex techie

You and me both! I always thought filler words were not really words at all, but things like "Um" and "Er".

Nonsense is defined as: spoken or written words that have no meaning or make no sense (example: he was talking nonsense) or foolish or unacceptable behavior (example: put a stop to that nonsense, will you?). But not as a "filler word". Saying that nonsense is a "filler word" is, well, nonsense.

I got a packet of documents from DCL a month or so ago, even though I did all the check in nonsense online. But I suspect everyone gets that stuff through the mail since the luggage tags are in the packet.

Hey silly, did you know that the packet you got in the mail had been customized to you based on the information on your registration and on line check in? For instance, if you are cruising with a child who is not your own, the booklet contained a "minor child authorization form." If this did not apply to your family, this form was not included. If you had not done any on line registration, the booklet would have included many more pieces of information. As it is, it included only the signature forms so that if you had failed to print them, didn't have access to a printer, or whatever, the forms were provided to you. From there, it included info about your trip, any reservations YOU made, and how your family could contact you in an emergency. Many people like or need this information, some don't care.

And those pesky signature forms...if a guest still manages to arrive at the terminal with them missing (or lost in the luggage), DCL can easily print another copy....customized to that guest.

On line check in is NOT required. It just makes your life easier when you arrive at the terminal...especially if you arrive at your scheduled PAT.

Edited by moki'smommy

Hey silly' date=' did you know that the packet you got in the mail had been customized to you based on the information on your registration and on line check in? For instance, if you are cruising with a child who is not your own, the booklet contained a "minor child authorization form." If this did not apply to your family, this form was not included. If you had not done any on line registration, the booklet would have included many more pieces of information. As it is, it included only the signature forms so that if you had failed to print them, didn't have access to a printer, or whatever, the forms were provided to you. From there, it included info about your trip, any reservations YOU made, and how your family could contact you in an emergency. Many people like or need this information, some don't care.

And those pesky signature forms...if a guest still manages to arrive at the terminal with them missing (or lost in the luggage), DCL can easily print another copy....customized to that guest.

On line check in is NOT required. It just makes your life easier when you arrive at the terminal...especially if you arrive at your scheduled PAT.[/quote']

BRAVO! Very well said!!!

It really does shock me the number of people I see say they just pitched it because they thought it was some kind of advertising. Usually that happens about the time they realize they "never" got luggage tags and then come on a board to whine that "Disney never sent me luggage tags!! What do I do???" only to be asked if they got the booklet which they then admit they thought was junk and didn't bother.

Seriously? As much as you pay for a Disney Cruise Line Vacation and you're just going to pitch mailings that come from them ASSUMING they are advertising??

And not realizing how much easier it can make your life if you BRING that booklet to the terminal. I don't remember it happening in Port Canaveral, but in Barcelona they scanned the bar code on the booklet before allowing us into the terminal. At PC, they generally just checked names and IDs (which they also did in Barcelona). You CAN do check in without it, but sometimes having it makes life easier.

In fairness, I guess you could miss the luggage tags in the booklet if you don't know to look for them.....maybe.....and you could miss the fact that the envelops says "Your cruise document enclosed,"....maybe....that's probably why DCL has back up systems for virtually everything except the guest who arrives without the required ID/proof of citizenship documents.

And not realizing how much easier it can make your life if you BRING that booklet to the terminal. I don't remember it happening in Port Canaveral' date=' but in Barcelona they scanned the bar code on the booklet before allowing us into the terminal. At PC, they generally just checked names and IDs (which they also did in Barcelona). You CAN do check in without it, but sometimes having it makes life easier.

In fairness, I guess you could miss the luggage tags in the booklet if you don't know to look for them.....maybe.....and you could miss the fact that the envelops says "Your cruise document enclosed,"....maybe....that's probably why DCL has back up systems for virtually everything except the guest who arrives without the required ID/proof of citizenship documents.[/quote']

Yep.

I know they scanned mine last year at MCO when I was checking in for the shuttle - I don't think they scanned it after that, but clearly if I was arriving on the shuttle I'd passed that checkpoint.

It is nice they have back-up systems in place just in case. My dad is probably THE most organized person I know, but somehow in our traveling before cruise date a couple of years ago, he misplaced the signature form and was starting to flip out, but the woman checking us in reassured him it was NO problem to print another one. (And yes, we found it later in the cruise - that "heat of the moment panic" thing you know.)

And yeah...it still amazes me that people do show up without the required proof of citizenship. I double and triple check everything - and go over the list that's in the booklet of "make sure to bring" multiple times while packing just to be safe! Of course, that list does require me to *gasp* actually read what is sent (or investigate online if I threw out the envelope with my "cruise documents enclosed" thinking it was junk advertising).

(Of course it also amazes me how many people CLEARLY on their way BACK from vacation are clueless at airport security. I always want to ask them how they GOT to their vacation since this is clearly their first time flying. Even if going down to vacation was your first time flying, you should have a clue on the way back - security is the same process.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

You and me both! I always thought filler words were not really words at all, but things like "Um" and "Er".

Nonsense is defined as: spoken or written words that have no meaning or make no sense (example: he was talking nonsense) or foolish or unacceptable behavior (example: put a stop to that nonsense, will you?). But not as a "filler word". Saying that nonsense is a "filler word" is, well, nonsense.

Right is a filler word... You know (or ya know) is a filler phrase. Nonsense is probably a geographic thing and where I'm from another way to say "all that stuff" Like for example, when you're ordering at a restaurant and you want a plain omlet, you would say, I'd like a omlet without all the nonsense.

I know right? Who orders a plain omlet.... why now get just regular scrambled eggs.

Hey silly' date=' did you know that the packet you got in the mail had been customized to you based on the information on your registration and on line check in? For instance, if you are cruising with a child who is not your own, the booklet contained a "minor child authorization form." If this did not apply to your family, this form was not included. If you had not done any on line registration, the booklet would have included many more pieces of information. As it is, it included only the signature forms so that if you had failed to print them, didn't have access to a printer, or whatever, the forms were provided to you. From there, it included info about your trip, any reservations YOU made, and how your family could contact you in an emergency. Many people like or need this information, some don't care.

On line check in is NOT required. It just makes your life easier when you arrive at the terminal...especially if you arrive at your scheduled PAT.[/quote']

That's what I meant by "But I suspect everyone gets that stuff through the mail since the luggage tags are in the packet." :D They wouldn't just send luggage tags to random people in a bulk mailing. Also, it asks when you do the check-in NONSENSE.... :eek: that you can print out the documents that looks just like that booklet (although the booklet is prettier) No? If you print out the check in stuff, grab the luggage tags but toss the booklet, aren't you still in good shape?

Right is a filler word... You know (or ya know) is a filler phrase. Nonsense is probably a geographic thing and where I'm from another way to say "all that stuff" Like for example, when you're ordering at a restaurant and you want a plain omlet, you would say, I'd like a omlet without all the nonsense.

I know right? Who orders a plain omlet.... why now get just regular scrambled eggs.

Oh, I see. But even in that sense, nonsense is NOT a filler. It's calling everything else junk.

Just as it reads when you called the mailing "nonsense". Only in this case, it isn't. It is important information pertaining to your cruise. But if you want to pitch it and call it "nonsense" - you can just take longer at the port to deal with things they already sent you that you thought were unimportant.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

That's what I meant by "But I suspect everyone gets that stuff through the mail since the luggage tags are in the packet." :D They wouldn't just send luggage tags to random people in a bulk mailing. Also, it asks when you do the check-in NONSENSE.... :eek: that you can print out the documents that looks just like that booklet (although the booklet is prettier) No? If you print out the check in stuff, grab the luggage tags but toss the booklet, aren't you still in good shape?

Most people are IF they print out all the forms they need (some people don't even know what they need). If you forget your printed out forms, you'd have them if you bring the booklet. The booklet is the reminder of what excursions/adult dining/nursery/spa you have booked. Again, you'll get some of it in your room and some by phone reminders, but nice to have it all in one place.

Toss the booklet and you may be on the boards going "what do I tell my MIL about how to reach me if...." There are perforated cards in the booklet that you can remove and give to anyone who needs this info--all neatly printed and easy to understand.

At the port in Barcelona, if you had the booklet..they scanned it, checked passport, and you went in. If you didn't have the booklet, you went over to another CM and I don't know what happened or how long it took.

No question, you CAN survive without the booklet...but it has useful stuff inside.

This is one of the key reasons most other lines have stopped bothering with printed cruise docs except on request...

BRAVO! Very well said!!!

It really does shock me the number of people I see say they just pitched it because they thought it was some kind of advertising. Usually that happens about the time they realize they "never" got luggage tags and then come on a board to whine that "Disney never sent me luggage tags!! What do I do???" only to be asked if they got the booklet which they then admit they thought was junk and didn't bother.

Seriously? As much as you pay for a Disney Cruise Line Vacation and you're just going to pitch mailings that come from them ASSUMING they are advertising??

This is one of the key reasons most other lines have stopped bothering with printed cruise docs except on request...

But they make up for the paper they save by not sending those by sending mailing after mailing after mailing. And in HAL's case, they have yet to figure out that I am the SAME PERSON they have two different whatever their cruiser club is numbers for in spite of me calling and saying "I'm the same person!!" Many days I get duplicate mailings where everything on the address section is the same except that silly number. (I'd rather they stop mailing me stuff all together as I have no plans to ever cruise them again, but they can't figure that out either.)

Oh, I see. But even in that sense, nonsense is NOT a filler. It's calling everything else junk.

Just as it reads when you called the mailing "nonsense". Only in this case, it isn't. It is important information pertaining to your cruise. But if you want to pitch it and call it "nonsense" - you can just take longer at the port to deal with things they already sent you that you thought were unimportant.

There is no way in heaven or on earth I would EVER call omelet fillings junk. I thought that was really really obvious.

• 2 months later...

For my cruises I always pay off the Final Payment at least 2 weeks before the due date of the Cruise Line or even a Month before to be safe. God only knows what can happen if the credit card does not go through etc.

The OP learned a hard lesson and I'm sorry for what happened but DCL is not to be blamed. They clearly state it in their terms and conditions just like hotels do about what happens due to non-payment or if you can't go you will not be refunded at a hotel.

The OP may have lucked out and caught another sale and got a better cabin and may even have come out a bit ahead. Losing the OBC from 2013 would be the least of my worries especially with pre-booked non-refundable airfare etc.

In fact I have setup my Cellphone to remind me much before the Final Payment is due and if I have funds then I'll just pay it off then and forget about it as it has to be paid off sometime right?

In fact if I were booking a large Suite and I know for sure I would be going I would just pay it all off in one shot so then I can cross it off my budget. Then I would have airfare/hotel/car all good to go too.

I wouldn't pay off a large suite at the time of booking, unless I was within four months or so of my travel date. That money can earn me a nice return over the course of a year--often enough to cover my on board expenses!

I do pay my cruise off 125 days before I sail--four months and a few days. Some for the peace of mind and some to be paid by the 120 day mark for hard to get reservations.

There is a difference in taste and texture between the two. A omelette will generally be slightly drier and have a slight crispness to the outside while scrambled eggs are just kind of mush. I enjoy both, sometimes I want one and sometimes the other.

There is a difference in taste and texture between the two. A omelette will generally be slightly drier and have a slight crispness to the outside while scrambled eggs are just kind of mush. I enjoy both, sometimes I want one and sometimes the other.

Oh great! It's 1am here and I had just talked myself out of scrambled eggs! :mad: Gee thanks! :P

• 2 weeks later...
I feel the need to write about my horrible and upsetting experience with Disney cruise line.

We have done a handful of cruises on various cruise lines (Princess, HAL, etc). In Dec 2013 we took the kids on the Disney Fantasy and were so impressed with the entire experience that while onboard we booked another cruise for this year (leaving in two days, Nov 2014). We have raved about Disney cruise line to many of our friends since that first experience.

In August I got a confirmation email from Disney with all the details of our upcoming cruise. In there it said the final payment amount and when it was due. I assumed that this would be automatically charged to our credit card, like how every other payment of this type happens when they have your details on file. I had a brief moment of excitement at the thought of the cruise in a few months, then forgot all about the email and got on with the busyness of summer.

Well I was wrong in my assumption of the auto-charge to my credit card. When the date passed, Disney cancelled my cruise. No phone calls to collect payment, no other email reminders or notification of the cancellation. They just cancelled it. Without telling me.

In the meantime we had booked flights, hotels, Lego Land tickets, time off with employers, rental cars, shuttle transportation and arranged for the kids to miss school for a week.

Today I tried to do the cruise online checkin and got a strange error message about no reservation existing. It still let me login with my reservation number, but everything was greyed out. I called Disney customer service to make sure everything was in order, thinking it was a website glitch.

They then informed me about the non-payment and the resulting cruise cancellation. I was in complete and utter disbelief. The lady offered an apology and said she could understand how upsetting this must be (REALLY??? You've had your holiday plans cancelled on you without you knowing about it???? No way!). Complete insincerity. She said she could book me a room at the prevailing rates and that the onboard booking discount we received in Nov 2013 would be lost.

I asked to speak to her supervisor who was equally unwilling to try and make things right. She wouldn't honour the original price and wouldn't offer an onboard credit to make up the difference. Both of them I felt were insincere in their apologies and lacked any sort of empathy as to how incredibly upsetting this experience was.

I am completely flabbergasted that Disney would treat a customer in this way. They had my phone number, my mailing address, my email address, and yet they cancelled my cruise without any contact whatsoever. Then when it was clear it was some sort of misunderstanding, they were completely unwilling to try and make things right.

All this because of a single line in a single email. The requirement to get in touch with Disney to make the payment was not clear. There should have been a reminder again a few days before if the payment is still not made. Then last but not least they should tell you if they've cancelled your cruise. But no, none of the above.

I told the supervisor, that this is the worst holiday and customer service experience I've ever had. I'm in complete disbelief that this would happen at the hands of Disney. I cannot believe the policy, the lack of communication, and the insincerity and unhelpfulness of the customer service supervisor and the other customer service agent.

With no other option I paid the prevailing rate to keep our holiday intact in two days time, but it will likely be our last experience with Disney Cruise Line.

Sorry to hear about this unpleasant, but nor surprising experience. In later years it's been "all about the money". Disney probably does this on a regular basis, they can get more money for that cabin just as they did with you. Even if you decide not to pay prevailing rate someone else does and Disney knows it. My experiences with Disney has been very similar, and it has made our decision to find other options than Disney easy.

Mark.

Sorry to hear about this unpleasant, but nor surprising experience. In later years it's been "all about the money". Disney probably does this on a regular basis, they can get more money for that cabin just as they did with you. Even if you decide not to pay prevailing rate someone else does and Disney knows it. My experiences with Disney has been very similar, and it has made our decision to find other options than Disney easy.

Mark.

Using this logic, if your power bill gets lost in the mail, and you don't pay it, and they cut you off, it's the power companies fault, right? SMH

I see two issues with the OP's situation. First, she had the responsibility to pay a bill. She is assumed an adult and just like other bills should have known when this one was due and followed up on or before the due date. If she didn't know exactly the date it was due, you would think a few months out she would look at her paperwork or called DCL to find out.

The other thing I don't understand is that her deposit would have been returned to her credit card. Didn't she notice this? I would certainly notice that type of activity on my card.

I wonder about people who can't keep payment deadlines straight with their vacations how they manage to pay their other bills. Or do they?

Edited by ducklite

I'm sorry this happened and that the oversight caused more money to be paid. It is also pretty awful to have to admit to family that a mistake caused their whole vacation to be ruined... so of course one has to cough up the money to make it right.... everyone is happy... well maybe except the bank account. Next step.... Write to Cruise Critic and complain that DCL is a terrible company and their employees are insincere when they are only doing their job. They aren't paid to do their guests' jobs, too. Basically, DCL provides wonderful childcare while on board, but unfortunately, it doesn't extend to the adult guests during or prior to the cruise. In a nutshell.... the bill wasn't paid... as promised, the cruise was cancelled. In this age of high tech gadgets, there really isn't any excuse for missing a due date, and if you don't like, or don't :r have high tech gadgets, a pen and a wall calender work really well, and have for years. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
i feel the need to write about my horrible and upsetting experience with disney cruise line.

We have done a handful of cruises on various cruise lines (princess, hal, etc). In dec 2013 we took the kids on the disney fantasy and were so impressed with the entire experience that while onboard we booked another cruise for this year (leaving in two days, nov 2014). We have raved about disney cruise line to many of our friends since that first experience.

In august i got a confirmation email from disney with all the details of our upcoming cruise. In there it said the final payment amount and when it was due. I assumed that this would be automatically charged to our credit card, like how every other payment of this type happens when they have your details on file. I had a brief moment of excitement at the thought of the cruise in a few months, then forgot all about the email and got on with the busyness of summer.

Well i was wrong in my assumption of the auto-charge to my credit card. When the date passed, disney cancelled my cruise. No phone calls to collect payment, no other email reminders or notification of the cancellation. They just cancelled it. Without telling me.

In the meantime we had booked flights, hotels, lego land tickets, time off with employers, rental cars, shuttle transportation and arranged for the kids to miss school for a week.

Today i tried to do the cruise online checkin and got a strange error message about no reservation existing. It still let me login with my reservation number, but everything was greyed out. I called disney customer service to make sure everything was in order, thinking it was a website glitch.

They then informed me about the non-payment and the resulting cruise cancellation. I was in complete and utter disbelief. The lady offered an apology and said she could understand how upsetting this must be (really??? You've had your holiday plans cancelled on you without you knowing about it???? No way!). Complete insincerity. She said she could book me a room at the prevailing rates and that the onboard booking discount we received in nov 2013 would be lost.

I asked to speak to her supervisor who was equally unwilling to try and make things right. She wouldn't honour the original price and wouldn't offer an onboard credit to make up the difference. Both of them i felt were insincere in their apologies and lacked any sort of empathy as to how incredibly upsetting this experience was.

I am completely flabbergasted that disney would treat a customer in this way. They had my phone number, my mailing address, my email address, and yet they cancelled my cruise without any contact whatsoever. Then when it was clear it was some sort of misunderstanding, they were completely unwilling to try and make things right.

All this because of a single line in a single email. The requirement to get in touch with disney to make the payment was not clear. There should have been a reminder again a few days before if the payment is still not made. Then last but not least they should tell you if they've cancelled your cruise. But no, none of the above.

I told the supervisor, that this is the worst holiday and customer service experience i've ever had. I'm in complete disbelief that this would happen at the hands of disney. I cannot believe the policy, the lack of communication, and the insincerity and unhelpfulness of the customer service supervisor and the other customer service agent.

With no other option i paid the prevailing rate to keep our holiday intact in two days time, but it will likely be our last experience with disney cruise line.

next time used a travel agent,,,, & you will not have that problem that you did

Clearly this person would have been better off with a travel agent. If a resource is available, and at no charge, for those who need it, why not take advantage of that resource. I don't need to use online bill pay for my bills but it available and free through my bank so I take advantage of that service. Using a service to make life easier isn't a bad thing, it is just savvy way to manage time and responsibilities.