Dinner seating

SissasMomE

You can request a table for just your family and they do try to accommodate that, but it can not be guaranteed. Typically the larger your family the more likely you are to have a table to yourselves. If you are a concierge guest, that request is almost 100% guaranteed.

Hello,

Are you seated at a table with others, or can you just have a table for your family?

As noted, if you wish to be seated at a table with only your party, you need to contact DCL and have the request placed on your reservation.

If you used a TA, they would be the one to contact DCL.

Now, if you're asking because you want to be seated with others, unless you have a large party, or are Concierge, your chance of being seated with others is good.

Edited by Shmoo here

I would say that concierge is 100% that you are seated as "just our family" unless you ask for something else.

All others, put in your request in advance. As noted, if you used a TA, they must make this request. Then after boarding, go to "dining changes" at the location listed on the Welcome Aboard Navigator. Ask if the request was met and if not whether it can be met at that time. They will do their best for you.

I will just point out that particularly in Royal Palace/Court many of the tables are THISCLOSE together, so it's almost like being seated with others (our first (and so far only) DCL cruise as an all-adult family we were concierge because my dad booked it that way and had our own table without requesting, but in Royal the servers couldn't even get between our table next to the walkway and the table next to us along the rail - there was maybe 6 inches, and the dad at that table decided to strike up conversation with us).

As far as the requests, I had requested a table alone (I typically cruise solo) and didn't go to check on it this past cruise (the one before I was able to dine with my CM sister, so we checked with them and got our own table so she wouldn't have to spend the whole dinner answering questions (she had to wear her whites) and we could talk about stuff in general). Well, come to find out I was placed at a table with I assume the only other solos on board - two very conservative gentlemen. Being very liberal - in multiple ways - it was clear that I was DEFINITELY the third wheel. My second night I was in Palo (always treated like a princess when dining solo there). My third night I figured I'd try Cabanas, but it was like they went "What are Beth's least favorite things on the menus?" and combined them - ICK. LOL. So I went and spoke with a MDR manager who happened to be at the RP podium as I walked by and asked it it was possible to change to a solo table. She looked and said for me to check with the podium when I came for second seating and it would be taken care of. I had a much better time not having to sit awkwardly listening to stuff I didn't agree with and could potentially be downright hurtful. Luckily I had the same head server, so I was able to assure him and have him pass on to my original server and assistant that it was NOT them that made me move.

All that was by way of saying even if you don't check and have an awkward first night, the possibility exists still to change. I was able to keep the same rotation, but sometimes a rotation change is necessary, but they can usually help you out if things are too bad. They don't want you to be uncomfortable.

In September 2013 I requested a table for 2 because it was our honeymoon and it was honored. I will say the ship was not to capacity, there were many tables every night with empty chairs and smaller parties.

In December 2014, I did not request a table for 2 and we were sat with 2 other couples. Luckily we all hit it off and were all DCL honeymooners at some point. We still keep in touch.

For this coming cruise in Sept I have a requested a table for 4 (me, my husband and my mom and dad). It is my parents first cruise and I think they will feel more comfortable with just the 4 of us. I am hoping Disney comes through for me.

Absolutely agree that one should request in advance if a particular table size is desired. For my and my brood, I actually always request a large table. I love the conviviality and meeting new people. I've met folks from all over and had a blast, but no doubt that is not for everyone. :)

We've always had a table for us just (2 before kid, 4 top after kid), every cruise, I don't think we requested it after the first time. I know last cruise we had to request it but they had us at late seating, hahahah with a 3 year old, lol. RCL created a table for us!

Anything else isn't acceptable. Being seated with strangers would result in zero tips and us never cruising with them (any line) again.

On disney, I don't think we had to request a table just us, but I may have when talking with the TA.