5 days on Wonder or 7 days on Fantasy

madiaka

We have 2 cruises booked for next April and May. One is 5 days on the Wonder and one is 7 days on the Fantasy. The Fantasy is $2000 more than the cruise on the Wonder. I've never been on Disney but have been on RCCL and Carnival. I prefer larger ships - Navigator of the Seas / Carnival Valor. But, I never paid attention to kids activities in either ship.

This time, I'm traveling with my husband and our 4 year old son. I wouldn't be on Disney if it wasn't for my son. Is there anything on the Fantasy that would be missed by a 4 year old and his mom if I choose the Wonder instead? I don't plan to utilize the kids club that often and the pool areas seem like they would be overly crowded because they seem small. I like the spray park on the Fantasy, the mini golf, etc. I doubt that my son will like the Aqua Duck that much - especially after standing in a long line.

If I have only one shot at a Disney cruise, is it worth it to try the Fantasy or would it be okay to sail on Wonder. My husband likes the cheapest cruise and could care less. But, I'm a big ship girl and want to try the most Disney has to offer since he might not want to pay Disney prices in the future -- 2nd time around.

Note: ports aren't an issue. I've been to most except Castaway Cay and both ships stop there.

Thanks in advance.

The kids program will be the same on both. And probably the characters. Food won't be much different although fantasy had Remy and Palo as extra fee adult only restaurants. Excellent. And s great bar between the restaurants on top level with great view. Shows may be the same. we hate cruises less than 7 days at least but that's us.

Fantasy is bigger and newer. The adult areas are beautiful. And the Aqua duck is really really fun. Animators palate, one of the main dining rooms, has been updated and is very interactive. Fantasy has Palo and Remy , gym is a Little bigger and there is beautiful adult pool.

The wonder is smaller and more manageable. But much older and needs some work. Wonder has Palo

Wow!

The shows are NOT the same.

The kid programming is much the same but the spaces and themes of those spaces are not. Those activities that specifically relate to the spaces are different.

The Wonder is in good/great shape. She dry docked in January, I believe. Public areas were well cleaned, recarpeted, etc. New bedding and cabin spiff ups were completed this spring.

We were on the Fantasy within 3 months of launch--she was already showing rust. Repainting/maintenance is a constant issue on any ship.

Fantasy is big, newer, high tech. Wonder is smaller, and every bit a graceful lady. Normally I'd say longer is better, but $1000 per day for the 2 extra days is a LOT.

... I wouldn't be on Disney if it wasn't for my son.......

....My husband likes the cheapest cruise and could care less...

With this, i'd suggest don't cruise Disney. You are setting yourself up for disappointment. "It is not worth it!" Stay with other cruise lines which offer better value.

My husband wants to cruise Disney because it's tailored for kids. I want to because as a younger child, I think he'll enjoy Disney more than RCCL. I will enjoy my son being happy and am not focused on me. It's just that I need to figure out which ship. I plan to spend most of my time with my son and husband and won't participate in too many adult only activities.

Most people here talk about Magic, so I was really wondering if I would be disappointed with Wonder. The Magic is only 300 less than Fantasy for a similar itinerary so I'm not considering it. It's either Fantasy or Wonder and I'm just having the issue with the 2000 extra for 2 days.

I guess the issue is this, if I go on Wonder after liking a ship like Navigator of the Seas, will I wish that I had just paid the price for the Fantasy. What have been others' experiences?

I guess the issue is this, if I go on Wonder after liking a ship like Navigator of the Seas, will I wish that I had just paid the price for the Fantasy. What have been others' experiences?

6 years ago we went to our first cruise - Liberty of the Seas and had a great time. 5 months after that, we cruised Disney Wonder (kids sail free still being offered at that time). We didn't enjoy it that much. Food average, service ok, and weren't particularly impressed. One year after that we did 4 nights on Disney Dream and it is still our most favourite cruise.

Just my experience.

Thanks for your responses. I generally prefer the larger ships.

But, my favorite cruise was a Southern Itinerary on an extremely small ship 26k tons. It was chartered by a travel company and was by no means luxury. The service was excellent and everyone was a lot of fun. I thought it might be possible to have a similar experience (ship wise) on the Wonder.

I'll think about it but I'm leaning toward the Fantasy. It still costs a lot less than it does between June and August so I should be happy.

7 days might be a lot for a 4 year old. I have been on Fantasy, but not Wonder. You son will like mini golf and the detective agency and spray area on the Fantasy. I would encourage you to try the kids clubs--they have open hours where parents can go each day--that way you could stay together. At this age, all of my kids LOVED the kids clubs--but they liked RCCL just as much.

If you are SURE 7 days is not too much, and you don't care about the $2000, then maybe the Fantasy.

We have 2 cruises booked for next April and May. One is 5 days on the Wonder and one is 7 days on the Fantasy. The Fantasy is $2000 more than the cruise on the Wonder. I've never been on Disney but have been on RCCL and Carnival. I prefer larger ships - Navigator of the Seas / Carnival Valor. But, I never paid attention to kids activities in either ship.

This time, I'm traveling with my husband and our 4 year old son. I wouldn't be on Disney if it wasn't for my son. Is there anything on the Fantasy that would be missed by a 4 year old and his mom if I choose the Wonder instead? I don't plan to utilize the kids club that often and the pool areas seem like they would be overly crowded because they seem small. I like the spray park on the Fantasy, the mini golf, etc. I doubt that my son will like the Aqua Duck that much - especially after standing in a long line.

If I have only one shot at a Disney cruise, is it worth it to try the Fantasy or would it be okay to sail on Wonder. My husband likes the cheapest cruise and could care less. But, I'm a big ship girl and want to try the most Disney has to offer since he might not want to pay Disney prices in the future -- 2nd time around.

Note: ports aren't an issue. I've been to most except Castaway Cay and both ships stop there.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, your 4 year old will like either ship. Both are beautiful and have lots of fun things for the whole family, including character interactions and family-friendly shows. The kids club on the Fantasy is definitely "cooler" but it will also be busier because the Fantasy is a bigger ship. This is true of the pools, even more so. I think at 4, your child will be happy with either kids cluds and pools. One thing Fantasy has over Wonder is the mid-ship detective agency, which is fun, but that alone isn't worth the extra money IMHO.

For that difference in money, "I" would choose the Wonder. IIlike the slower pace and less crowds, and at 4 years old your son won't miss anything on Fantasy worth paying $2k more for. You could actually do a 2nd 3-or 4 day cruise on the Dream, Fantasy's sister ship, with that extra money. I think your husband and child will have just as much fun on the Wonder. And if you, like me, get addicted to DCL , you'll have something to look forward to by going on the Fantasy next time.

BUT, if bigger, newer and more high-tech makes YOU happy, and you really think that you will be thinking the whole time about what could have been, YOU should go for the Fantasy. I will say that the Wonder isn't THAT much smaller than the Carnival Valor, I don't think...

Thanks. My son will enjoy the Wonder. My husband is the type that will get on there and say "this is it. Kind of small isn't it. No mini-golf?", after saying that it's my decision and I choose the Wonder". On the Fantasy he'd say "this isn't worth it", but would still have a good time. I just have to decide what I want to hear for 5 or 7 days.

I reserved both when they first came out so I'll just wait to make a decision. I do value your feedback and will keep that in mind.

I could go on 2 cruises or just one but he's limited me to once per year so I'd have to wait a long time to spend my 2k anyway. Lol.

Also. I need break and want to be pampered and not have to drive everywhere to be entertained. I haven't been on a cruise since a year or two before he was born and I am addicted. Cruised once or twice a year before then.

I just need to think about whether 5 days is enough and if I want to save the 2k for the next year. By the way, we don't want to do Disney until he's 7 or 8, so we're not extending the cruise with any park days. Just coming in the day before and relaxing.

We did a 4 day on Dream and it was WAY to short - never even saw the whole ship. So did a 7 day on Fantasy. Granddaughter loved the kids club. And we still didn't see the whole ship (although the detective game and interactive paintings do have you move around a lot). Five days is very short - we would go with the longer cruise but $2K is a lot of money. Maybe back to back on Wonder?

That's an idea. I hadn't thought of that before. But, the price for April on the Wonder has increased by 800 or so. It would cost almost 2000 now. But, I'll keep that I mind for future cruises. Thanks for the suggestion.