Should I feel badly for my TA?

Dmgmd50

I wanted to book a Disney cruise, five cabins for a five-day cruise. Checked which cruise I might want with an online cruise booking website but I then actually booked through an independent travel agent. I expected the same price and told her that I also wanted the $50 per cabin OBC which the Internet company was offering, which would have totaled $250. She only wanted to give in a $100 OBC for one room. I held out and she agreed to $50 per room but implied that I was take advantage of het, almost like I was stealing food from her table. She told me she works harder than the Internet companies and therefore I shouldn't expect the same perks. I have previously booked four one- week cruise forgive cabins each on Celebrity and RCCL, as well as longer cruises on Seaboun and Dilversea so she has made plenty of money from my business! I felt she tried to make me feel quilts and I do not feel I should fell that way. I think a lot of TA's would be happy to have my business and would give me what I am asking for.

The difference is in how the agencies are paid by DCL. ALL agents start at a base percentage of the cruise fare portion of the booking. Then, based on the dollar value of the bookings they do, they get an increased amount of commission with a couple of different levels of increase. Now, this can be bunched together, so AAA is considered one agency even though it has a zillion offices.

If your agent is a small local agency, your perks could amount to a large portion of her commission--if she is at the base rate. The large internet agencies are at the top end of the rewards scale, so even if their perk is the entire base rate, they are making money from the increased percentage they get.

This would be a whole lot easier to explain if I gave percentages, but the last time I did that I was criticized for telling their salaries.

There are nice ways to get both the services and the perks. I use an agency that works a lot on line, but also is happy to talk to me on their 800 number days, evenings, and weekends. And if I'm ever in their city, they'd love to have me stop in at the office. Don't know any local agency with comparable availability.

The difference is in how the agencies are paid by DCL. ALL agents start at a base percentage of the cruise fare portion of the booking. Then' date=' based on the dollar value of the bookings they do, they get an increased amount of commission with a couple of different levels of increase. Now, this can be bunched together, so AAA is considered one agency even though it has a zillion offices.

If your agent is a small local agency, your perks could amount to a large portion of her commission--if she is at the base rate. The large internet agencies are at the top end of the rewards scale, so even if their perk is the entire base rate, they are making money from the increased percentage they get.

This would be a whole lot easier to explain if I gave percentages, but the last time I did that I was criticized for telling their salaries.

There are nice ways to get both the services and the perks. I use an agency that works a lot on line, but also is happy to talk to me on their 800 number days, evenings, and weekends. And if I'm ever in their city, they'd love to have me stop in at the office. Don't know any local agency with comparable availability.[/quote']

She told me she gives me better service than a large Internet agency. Actually the large Internet agency called me on a weekend when the private agency is not even open and when I called them with a question, I got a much more rapid reply. I did not feel that asking for - $25 per passenger credit for a $1400 ticket was demanding too much after all the business I have given her.

Edited by Dmgmd50

She told me she gives me better service than a large Internet agency. Actually the large Internet agency called me on a weekend when the private agency is not even open and when I called them with a question, I got a much more rapid reply. I did not feel that asking for - $25 per passenger credit for a $1400 ticket was demanding too much after all the business I have given her.

The $1400 "ticket" included the "cruise fare" as well as taxes, government fees and non-commissionable items. Her commission is based only on the cruise fare portion of the ticket, which was probably about $1200 of the $1400 ticket. I've never seen an agency that bases an OBC on a "per passenger" basis--most either use type of cabin/length of cruise or a percentage of the cruise fare as the basis.

But whatever....you and she have agreed to your request, even though she didn't seem happy with it. She didn't have to agree to match the on line agency. If you are not happy with her service or her attitude, you'll go elsewhere next time.

As to better advice--the agency I use has had every agent do a DCL cruise within the last few years in addition to all doing the Disney training program (the on site one, not just the computer one). I wouldn't deal with someone who hasn't been on one of the classics and one of the new ships (depending on which I was booking) and had kept current with DCL policies. They've changed a lot recently! If all she can do for you is to call Disney and ask....well, you could do that on your own.

Edited by moki'smommy

As a former TA myself , $50 cabin OBC is peanuts , even for a small agency.

A cost of doing business in todays world.

OP shouldn't feel sorry for her at all . She should lose these bookings for not matching that small comm. rebate .

Then feel sorry for her when she loses 5 DCL cabins for being cheap and also not providing the 7 day service others do .

$50 cabin OBC is a Thank You for booking with us !

Find a TA that appreciates your business (and has better daily coverage ).

When booking cruises I recommend making the reservations directly with the cruise line....the last two TA's we used were a joke....I'm hoping this cruise goes smooth!

A great TA can be worth their weight in gold. A bad one can turn your vacation into a nightmare. I wouldn't think of booking directly, but while it took me some time to find them, I have an excellent TA.

I wanted to book a Disney cruise, five cabins for a five-day cruise. Checked which cruise I might want with an online cruise booking website but I then actually booked through an independent travel agent. I expected the same price and told her that I also wanted the $50 per cabin OBC which the Internet company was offering, which would have totaled $250. She only wanted to give in a $100 OBC for one room. I held out and she agreed to $50 per room but implied that I was take advantage of het, almost like I was stealing food from her table. She told me she works harder than the Internet companies and therefore I shouldn't expect the same perks. I have previously booked four one- week cruise forgive cabins each on Celebrity and RCCL, as well as longer cruises on Seaboun and Dilversea so she has made plenty of money from my business! I felt she tried to make me feel quilts and I do not feel I should fell that way. I think a lot of TA's would be happy to have my business and would give me what I am asking for.

Absolutely not.

They had the choice to accept your request or say sorry, I cannot do that.

They have no right to put the blame on you for asking.

I would wait until the the cruise is over and then send them an email and copy in the owner of the company to express your feelings about them making you feel this way about your future cruise. And that you will use another TA next time because of this distasteful interaction with them.

Hardly a great way to feel about an upcoming vacation!

ex techie

The $1400 "ticket" included the "cruise fare" as well as taxes' date=' government fees and non-commissionable items. Her commission is based only on the cruise fare portion of the ticket, which was probably about $1200 of the $1400 ticket. I've never seen an agency that bases an OBC on a "per passenger" basis--most either use type of cabin/length of cruise or a percentage of the cruise fare as the basis.

But whatever....you and she have agreed to your request, even though she didn't seem happy with it. She didn't have to agree to match the on line agency. If you are not happy with her service or her attitude, you'll go elsewhere next time.

As to better advice--the agency I use has had every agent do a DCL cruise within the last few years in addition to all doing the Disney training program (the on site one, not just the computer one). I wouldn't deal with someone who hasn't been on one of the classics and one of the new ships (depending on which I was booking) and had kept current with DCL policies. They've changed a lot recently! If all she can do for you is to call Disney and ask....well, you could do that on your own.[/quote']

Actually the fare was $1400 per person plus taxes. And the OBC I requested was $50 per cabin. Since there will be two people in each cabin that would come out to $25 per person.

I also in the past have used a local small TA. She would moan and groan about not making any money on the cruise and she was the only local TA still bothering with cruises. While on a cruise we chatted with a couple that have traveled extensively and told us about a internet agency they used. We tried them last cruise and were very satisfied with their service. We got a substantial extra obc and they also notified us of a price reduction on our next booked cruise. We usually find the cruises ourselves,book thru cruise line, then turn them over to TA.No moaning,no groaning, no problem!!:eek::eek:

Actually the fare was $1400 per person plus taxes. And the OBC I requested was $50 per cabin. Since there will be two people in each cabin that would come out to $25 per person.

She's being really cheap then. If the cruise fare is $1400, per person, she is getting at least $140 (possibly a little less due to non-commissionable items), and you asked for $25 OBC. She is still making over $100 per person. Yes, I'm aware that this is not all profit, but it is all loss when you take your business elsewhere!

Regardless of the exact amounts, she has no business making you feel bad about your booking.

She's being really cheap then. If the cruise fare is $1400' date=' per person, she is getting at least $140 (possibly a little less due to non-commissionable items), and you asked for $25 OBC. She is still making over $100 per person. Yes, I'm aware that this is not all profit, but it is all loss when you take your business elsewhere!

Regardless of the exact amounts, she has no business making you feel bad about your booking.[/quote']

And let's not forget that the OP did all the work--determined which cruise and which cabins to book, checked prices and possible perks online, then was courteous enough to give the business (for 5 cabins!) to their local TA.

I have no problem with a TA earning a fair profit when doing work that adds value to the travel experience. But if I'm the one doing all the work and basically just saying, "Please book cruise X departing on date Y in cabin Z" I prefer to do it myself through the provider directly or through an online service that offers me perks.

No reason to feel bad. I am in sales and I win some, I lose some. It's the nature of the beast. I don't think you are being unreasonable in your request for OBC. I do think you need to stop feeling guilty.

Thanks for all your support. I definitely now do not feel guilty about speaking up to my TA and telling her what I thought I deserved her to do for me. I realize that nobody can make you feel guilty without your permission! And if she says anything again to me, I will show her this thread and let her know that she is lucky that I stayed with her

Edited by Dmgmd50

I book mine direct, and use our corporate folks for work trips. If you did the work it's an easy trip to book, and I wouldn't feel bad about asking for a discount.

I also work in sales, and when people ask for discounts, sometimes I can give them sometimes I can't. It never hurts to ask, all they can say is no.

That being said, it comes down to customer service, if you are not happy smile, go on your cruise, and then find another travel agent.