New Experiences Coming to the Disney Dream When Transformed Spaces Debut This Fall

Ex techie

Just announced today, we’re bringing exciting new experiences to the Disney Dream when we transform spaces throughout the ship this fall! Headlining the enhancements are two new interactive youth areas, one themed to Star Wars and another to Disney Infinity. We’re also adding a whimsical sweet shop serving handmade gelato and the ever-popular Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. Here’s a look at the new spaces and the fun in store for Disney Dream cruisers …

swddcl283746.jpg

More info @:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/04/new-experiences-coming-to-the-disney-dream-when-transformed-spaces-debut-this-fall/

ex techie

So not only the upcharges at Palo and Remy, along with paying extra for speciality coffee, you can also purchase gelato and ice cream, from a candy land that conveniently has two entrances, not just from the pool deck, but also from your lunch time buffet area, Cabanas.

Whoever said DCL isn't a nickel and dime line may want to rethink that if this is the way it is going.

ex techie

Vanellope’s Sweets & Treats

Handmade gelato and ice cream, an assortment of candy, and delectable novelty treats are some of the deliciousness available for purchase at Vanellope’s Sweets & Treats. Resembling the whimsical candy land of the Sugar Rush race car game in “Wreck-It Ralph,” the sweet shop’s décor features nods to the film, including a race track and checkerboard patterned floor, gas pump-style gumball dispensers, Vanellope’s race car and King Candy’s throne. This specialty store coming to Deck 11 will have two entrances, inside Cabana’s restaurant and outside by the pool deck.

vsadcl283746.jpg

They took this one out of Carnival's playbook....

A lot will depend on what the charges are. I'm fine with (let's say) $1 scoops of gelato to keep demand reasonable, as long as free is still avail. But if we start seeing $3.95 scoops and Park pricing on Candy, not so much..

So not only the upcharges at Palo and Remy, along with paying extra for speciality coffee, you can also purchase gelato and ice cream, from a candy land that conveniently has two entrances, not just from the pool deck, but also from your lunch time buffet area, Cabanas.

Whoever said DCL isn't a nickel and dime line may want to rethink that if this is the way it is going.

ex techie

vsadcl283746.jpg

A lot will depend on what the charges are. I'm fine with (let's say) $1 scoops of gelato to keep demand reasonable, as long as free is still avail. But if we start seeing $3.95 scoops and Park pricing on Candy, not so much..

I agree, but someones gotta pay for Satellite Falls...... lol!

ex techie

I'm not really too bothered about this... I don't plan on buying any gelato. I'm hoping that maybe they will keep the free scooped haagen dazs available during lunch time, but I guess it's possible that might go away.

The candy for purchase, I actually like that idea. Last time we were on board I bought my son some packaged candy from one of the gift shops onboard, so having a bigger selection to choose from sounds like a plus to me.

Sounds like it will be replacing the arcade. I don't really mind the overpriced video games, but I've never liked those machines like the Sega "Key Master" which pretend to be games of skill but are really just gambling for kids.

I just wonder if they have thought thru the consequences of having a paid for food outlet on the same deck as all

of that other "free" (paid for in cruise price/included!) food when it comes to kids getting a snack?

Especially when it is connected to the buffet restaurant.

Will the kids know that they cannot just help themselves to the bags of candy in the artists illustration picture?

WILL THE PARENTS KNOW they cannot let their kids just help themselves to the candy?

Will you have to charge your account before they scoop the gelato?

Will they have Disney Security Staff manning the doors looking for unpaid purchases, or just rely on good will?

There is a difference when in Treasure Ketch or Mickey's Mates. You know it is a store.

A paid for food/snack outlet open to kids on deck is just sending out very mixed messages for everyone, and

will only result in tears, tantrums and IMO lot's of, but I didn't know!!!! Disney has RUINED my cruise Guests.

And thats the adults. Not the Kids BTW!

As Loombeam commented about Carnival, they also have a candy store. Cherry On Top. But that is on Deck 5 I believe.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

That is a VERY good point, and one I honestly had not considered. I would say it all depends on the signage, but as long established, people don't read signs!

I just wonder if they have thought thru the consequences of having a paid for food outlet on the same deck as all

of that other "free" (paid for in cruise price/included!) food when it comes to kids getting a snack?

Especially when it is connected to the buffet restaurant.

Will the kids know that they cannot just help themselves to the bags of candy in the artists illustration picture?

WILL THE PARENTS KNOW they cannot let their kids just help themselves to the candy?

Will you have to charge your account before they scoop the gelato?

Will they have Disney Security Staff manning the doors looking for unpaid purchases, or just rely on good will?

There is a difference when in Treasure Ketch or Mickey's Mates. You know it is a store.

A paid for food/snack outlet open to kids on deck is just sending out very mixed messages for everyone, and

will only result in tears, tantrums and IMO lot's of, but I didn't know!!!! Disney has RUINED my cruise Guests.

And thats the adults. Not the Kids BTW!

As Loombeam commented about Carnival, they also have a candy store. Cherry On Top. But that is on Deck 5 I believe.

ex techie

Sorry, I don't like the concept of a paid food outlet designed to attract kids. I like the fact that a cruise is almost a "paid in advance" and largely all inclusive vacation. That's one of the reasons we chose DCL.

Celebrity has a nice ice cream bar with candy toppings included with cruise fare. My only problem there was that sometimes it closed a bit before the stated time--seemed the crew thought that 10 pm closing means that by 10 they will be fully closed and cleaned up.

I refuse to do things like Royal because they had Johnny Rockets--kids want to eat there. It has an upcharge. Then it has another charge for any ice cream or milkshakes. You end up spending almost as much for a lunch there as you would for the same restaurant on land....and of course you can't send the kid alone!

Sorry, DCL. Cute as your designs are, you dropped the ball on this one. "If we build it they will buy" is the wrong theme.

Edited by moki'smommy

Celebrity has a nice ice cream bar with candy toppings included with cruise fare.

Well, Celebrity sells gelato too... however I do concede that they do it down next to the coffee bar, not up next to the buffet.

After considering this more, I have to agree that perhaps the proposed location isn't the best place for this sort of thing.

Looks more like a Disney take on Dylan's Candy Bar to me...

After considering this more, I have to agree that perhaps the proposed location isn't the best place for this sort of thing.

Actually, for Disney it's most likely the perfect location.

Parents take kids to buffet, kids see candy store, kids walk in, kids see candy wonderland, kids want x item, kids throw tantrum, parents feel forced into buying x item because kids are disrupting the peace and quiet and it's a vacation after all and hey, it's only $4,95 (plus gratuity) and please just shut up, people are looking at us and you make it seem as if we are bad parents, you also sound as if someone is slaughtering a pig.

Having a for a fee candy / ice cream store next to a food venue that is included into the cruise fare is a brilliant idea! Just not for the customer.