NCL Laundry Services (Breakaway)

ajtraveler66

Will be on "Breakaway" in August. Do any of you have info on the laundry services. Are the costs outlandish? How long does it take to get regular laundry back (polo's, shorts, Docker pants, etc)?

Just curious. If prices are within reason it might help with packing issues.

Based on your experience, any and all replies welcome.

They offer a laundry bag special mid-cruise for less than $20.00, less if you are Latitude Gold or above.

They advertised a three-day turn around, but mine was back earlier.

You can stuff as much as you can in the bag. Suggest rolling stuff to maximize space. Clothes are returned in a wicker basket neatly folded.

Will be on "Breakaway" in August. Do any of you have info on the laundry services. Are the costs outlandish? How long does it take to get regular laundry back (polo's, shorts, Docker pants, etc)?

Just curious. If prices are within reason it might help with packing issues.

Based on your experience, any and all replies welcome.

I have been on this ship twice and i BELIEVE that on Wednesday they offer a $20 dollar service for all you can fit into a bag with return on Friday. If someone has dalies I think you can confirm this. After a few cruises under my belt sometimes doing laundry or having the ship doing laundry is a decent alternative when you plan on doing a lot of shopping and you want to keep the luggage weight under control....now if you are like some of my friends who feel the need to color code your outfits with your 200 plus shoe collection....well good luck with that :)

Use one of the hotel plastic laundry bag as the inner liner, or, ask RS for an extra (clean) pillow case - write out the info on the paper NCL bag first before stuffing it. Make sure you have the itemized count also for the laundry slip - all the items will be tagged for proper return afterward.

And, share this trick.

BA's $19.95 laundry special (stuff it full by the bag) is for Day 4 and will be announced with the Freestyle Dailies distributed on Day 3 - promised turnaround was 2 days later. Did our platinum ones on Day 4 and it was back on Day 5.

Thanks for the price list and full bag suggestions

Turned our SuperBowl 2017 cruise into our first B2B since airline luggage weight limits and was thinking which day would be best for laundry. Sounds like we need to plan for 10 days and take advantage of the laundry bag for $19.99 on day 4 of the first week. Should work as I always overpack!

We are still gold, will be platinum mid second week so it won't count until after that cruise.

Have started packing using packing cubes and they are the best - can fit so much more but I always cross my fingers when my bag hits the airport scale!

(Not to mention, the praying Post cruise when I get on the scale at home!)

Save yourself some money. Ask the steward for an iron and ironing board

Yikes! I would Never waste my valuable vacation time ironing. :)

While I like the idea of the pressing, I make sure all our clothes are ironed before my trips. When I was first married, I counted the amount of time it took me in ironing on vacation all week, before dinner or whenever that somehing had to be ironed, and I was so disgusted, O vowed to myself Ill never do that again and 26 years later, Im still ironing before my vacations.

Edited by js

Use one of the hotel plastic laundry bag as the inner liner, or, ask RS for an extra (clean) pillow case - write out the info on the paper NCL bag first before stuffing it. Make sure you have the itemized count also for the laundry slip - all the items will be tagged for proper return afterward.

And, share this trick.

BA's $19.95 laundry special (stuff it full by the bag) is for Day 4 and will be announced with the Freestyle Dailies distributed on Day 3 - promised turnaround was 2 days later. Did our platinum ones on Day 4 and it was back on Day 5.

Thank you. I remember reading this on another thread where you posted his information. Did you also say you were able to get more in the bag by laying the clothes straight and not folded?

Thank you. I remember reading this on another thread where you posted his information. Did you also say you were able to get more in the bag by laying the clothes straight and not folded?

We usually roll them up. 33 items last time. We're both platinum so we each get a bag free every cruise. We pack really lite. We usually do one bag earlier in the week and another close to the end. That way, there's little laundry to do when we get home.

Thanks for the info we just turned platinum before our last cruise & did not realize we could both do a bag

Yep. Just submit the first with one name on it, and second with the other name. Be sure to mark in BIG letters, "Platinum" on the slip. We've had them charge us before, and had to go to customer service to have it taken off. But, unlike some of the customer service stories we've read, it was no problem at all.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

We usually roll them up. 33 items last time. We're both platinum so we each get a bag free every cruise. We pack really lite. We usually do one bag earlier in the week and another close to the end. That way, there's little laundry to do when we get home.

Thats great! Thank you.

Thats great! Thank you.
Yelp, exactly - what CruiseHarvey said - roll them tightly (the army/military roll bundle style - squeeze the air out as much as possible - do a little practice at home first)

For frequent NCL cruisers, check your to-be-washed items to remove any old laundry tags, just in case - you don't want to confuse them down below deck when trying to match up all the pieces coming out of the giant machine, and, it make their job a little easier.

An exta CC bonus tip, put the smallest items into the bottom of the lined paper bag first, fill in all the little corner/air pocket or space, items like socks & underwears, t-shirts & blouse, etc. to maximize your counts, the thicker fleece/cotton slacks or denim jeans go in last as it fill up. Save a cotton t-shirts or similar last as the folded over flap so that nothing can easily fall out (and, alll your small items safely in the bottom) in "sealing" the paper bag bundle.

We typically let our RS know the night before, to expect the package in the morning & just leave it on top of the bed, ready to go for her/him to pick it up & send down below deck to wash & fold.

DW & I travel light all the times, doesn't matter whether it's a 5, 7 or 10 nights trip, mix-n-match & everything into the 22" expandable rollers - and, we cross-pack and check it when cruising. A lighter 17" cabin-sized backpack with the electronics, gadgets, medications & personal/valuables, etc.

• 1 month later...

Is the general consensus that the $20 laundry deal is on Wednesday?

We're leaving for NYC by car on Thursday (in October), arriving in NYC on Friday and departing on the Breakaway on Sunday. My wife and I would like to pack lightly and use our rolling carry-on luggage instead of our large LL Bean duffel bags that we usually cruise with since we're going to have to haul them around NYC. I believe our hotel in NYC has a laundry room so we could do a bit of laundry on Saturday night (like all the cool young adults do) and then do the laundry bag deal on Wednesday. I think that would get us through okay.

Thoughts?

Yes, typically on day #4 (Wednesday with Sunday being embarkation day,) ask your Room Steward as s/he knows the routine & can be alerted to pickup yours early & take/drop it downstairs. Check several recent reviews in case NCL made changes to their routines.

Pavements of NYC can be harsh & unforgiving on those luggage wheelers, spinners or rollers alike - make sure yours are steady & tested/proven ... go over curbs, potholes & cracks, etc.

To piggyback off the laundry question, does anyone know what temperature water the clothes are washed in? I have always been apprehensive to use the laundry services, in fear that my cold wash items (95% of my wardrobe ends up requiring cold wash) will be washed hot, and then shrink. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

To piggyback off the laundry question, does anyone know what temperature water the clothes are washed in? I have always been apprehensive to use the laundry services, in fear that my cold wash items (95% of my wardrobe ends up requiring cold wash) will be washed hot, and then shrink. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I have no idea but I'd like to assume that laundry "experts" would wash clothes at the correct temperature. Otherwise I think there would be numerous threads here about the NCL laundry ruining their clothes, vacation and entire lives due to NCL's "penny pinching" lol.

I believe the bagged laundry is washed at a quite hot temperature. I doubt for the bag specials they'd have the time to look at each piece of clothing's care label. If paying the high prices for individual pieces, that might be different.

The bag special is available to everyone, regardless of status. I think there's a % discount as you work your way up the ladder, but I don't know what that is without looking.