My View: NCL Escape - Did she top the charts?

APDMOM

I see.

On the other side of 19 (Haven side), the front is open in the early morning. I didn't know that the public side was blocked.

Wish we could do Haven, but we are working hard to pay the house off early. :) Our reward will be a back to back cruise...

Where did you buy the magnetic hooks? We cruised the Escape in April and I tried to find some before our trip, but couldn't find them anywhere! Love your review! :)

I bought them at Amazon. They are a bit expensive at $9.99 for a pack of 2. However, they are the best: they do not scratch surfaces, as they have a soft back. (Not like the metal magnetic hooks). They are also very strong. I could hang two jackets on each one.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetized-Tool-Hooks-Grill-Fridge-Cabinet-Set/dp/B00LH0WFXM/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469920137&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=magnetized+hookes

Thanks to all the newcomers for following along! My goal is to be done by tomorrow night. For those who are waiting for the Freestyle Dailies... I'm sorry I could not get them done today. I will post them as soon as they are ready.

Coming up next.... Tortola :)

It has been two years since our last visit to Tortola. A lot has changed since then! The port area is now being built up to your typical Caribbean port. It looks very nice, but is not completed yet. Very few shops were open.

I walked around to the muddy parking lot to get some pictures of the ship:

22718d7436303ee93e794d2a41f04467.jpg

06b212732386e9226f17578a900a628e.jpg

The new port area (This was all taxi and excursion pick up only - no buildings that I remember. There was a straw market outside the gates in the past):

6efe474e5b43933ededb951dda246066.jpg

80643c0f9fba0c838cf170b931def8d0.jpg

d4769d4f7c62f00a43e9d4d9cef9c229.jpg

dc0d9a83a5ed153f27ebd8879b351833.jpg

DH and DS were really looking forward to the ropes course! We had it all planned: Since we had been to the ports several times, they were going to do the ropes course while in port. With that, we would have the added bonus of ‘very little wind’ in order to take on this challenge. Unfortunately, the hours for the ropes course were very limited. They only opened about 1 hour before sailaway, while in port. There were already 40 people in line when we showed up (15 minutes before opening time). However, the line went fast once the course opened. I don’t know how many people they allow at once, but all 40 in line with DH and DS got to go up as soon as the harnesses were distributed. The staff did an excellent job with the harnesses. I was going to join DH and DS, but we did not know I could not climb with my camera, even with a secure mounting. I was surprised, as I thought others climbed with the Hero in the past.

Oh, well! "Saved by the camera"... I was the photographer with my feet planted safely on the ground... err ship. :D

With that, I present the Ropes Course (up to 3 stories high):

8212c59d6eb1507ef1817b1cab31a155.jpg

018abb591c70698bfa4e1cd638afabff.jpg

dfddc3ce2839e758f6584a7e729f7ccf.jpg

1496f07d20050bd82780fb36621d180a.jpg

6ee8744204f93724b785f1ee13779d11.jpg

Tip: Be sure to know these rules so that you are not turned away:

1. Nothing is allowed in your pockets

2. Must wear tennis shoes or (closed toes?) shoes that fit securely around your heels

3. No cameras allowed, even if secured

4. No wet clothing (so don't come from the pool with your wet swimming trunks)

5. I also read on another review you have to wear a t-shirt or shirt with sleeves. No tanktops allowed

Edited by APDMOM
unsure about closed toes

On the topic of sports, here is the Mini Golf. It is the most creative and fun courses I have played. We make a point of playing at least a couple of times on every ship that has mini golf. On this ship, we played while in port, or early in the morning (around 9 a.m.) to avoid the crowds:

35b3642ab4fbb6984f0f6e2231723312.jpg

e48e21c90af014bc9047135e8760f472.jpg

ed7a4b65027226d0ee6d1eff7fd4a44e.jpg

7abdd0683d36d5e82725eb5a1b7bdd2b.jpg

5bf99f45faa7d2fc4bc2f3571302346e.jpg

Note if you have a balcony:

While in port, they clean the balconies. However, they do only some each port day. Our balcony did not get cleaned until we almost left Nassau.

This is the basket that they use to clean the balconies. I am glad it is not my job... would be scary to be dangling in that thing while cleaning windows!

71d55d22d45059b7c4baef5a16277c5c.jpg

Edited by APDMOM

Welcome to my view of day 6 - for a very brief visit!

f0a705d92573a38e0c3ff0a0a4b14b98.jpg

This was a sea day, and we have covered all my ship pictures. I will therefore just share a couple of noteworthy events. :)

The Cruise Next staff presented the special again, but I enjoyed looking at the pictures of the ships:

80e2b5371d3e3b02acf2f45224a6fae5.jpg

73108ee0ede0dbd1fd325aa463225200.jpg

We attended the “Deck and Engine Q&A”, which is similar to the Captain’s Corner on Royal Caribbean. This was a lot more technical though, with not as many ‘fun’ questions asked. I still enjoyed it, geek that I am:

704604fa949532d60596941adcc3036f.jpg

We did learn that some of the new NCL ships will have the lifeboats inside the ship (as opposed to hanging over the side like on Escape). The captain shared that the larger ships will be able to sail the new Panama Canal, but they require the lifeboats to be inside the ship - not sticking out on the edge. Was this maybe an indication that NCL will be sending a new, large ship to the Panama Canal? (Maybe this is old news - I am always late with news…LOL!)

Another look at the chandelier - no more rainbow:

d944d6644b53c8daf649ddb5c35ab5f6.jpg

Cruising right along into day 7…. Coming up later: Nassau, Bahamas!

Tip: Be sure to know these rules so that you are not turned away:

1. Nothing is allowed in your pockets

2. Must wear tennis shoes or (closed toes?) shoes that fit securely around your heels

3. No cameras allowed, even if secured

4. No wet clothing (so don't come from the pool with your wet swimming trunks)

5. I also read on another review you have to wear a t-shirt or shirt with sleeves. No tanktops allowed

Oh snap I don't have any of that packed with me. I have secure sandals (straps all around my foot) and cowgirl boots! Hopefully one of those will work! If not, I will be fine!

Oh snap I don't have any of that packed with me. I have secure sandals (straps all around my foot) and cowgirl boots! Hopefully one of those will work! If not, I will be fine!

Could you please report back about the sandals? I don't remember if they have to be closed toes or not. I know they have to be secure so that they don't fall off, possibly onto a climber below you. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise!

\ For those who are waiting for the Freestyle Dailies... I'm sorry I could not get them done today. I will post them as soon as they are ready.

\

Could I trouble you for the show times? The ones that are held twice a night. I am 90 days out and making dinner reservations and wondering if 6 p.m gives us enough time for the first show? thanks in advance

Hi, LuCruise,

We really look for family friendly entertainment on a ship. I found the talent on Escape much better, and the entertainment in public areas was great. However, they did not have many family friendly shows in the main lounge. We did not even go to The Brat Pack, since it is PG 16 - Based upon some reviews, I decided it is not my cup of tea. So, to us, the Royal Caribbean shows are better - you cannot beat the ice shows in my opinion :) I just wish Royal Caribbean would get better lead singers...

Oh, we also attended the comedy and magic of Harry Maurer - it was very poor compared with the comedy/magic shows we have seen on Royal Caribbean.

So, although the overall entertainment is better on Royal Caribbean, we were adequately entertained by the public area musicians (especially Port Royal and Howl at the Moon).

Thanks for getting back to me. I agree...between the ice shows, Aqua shows on Oasis class and broadway shows, it's hard to match up to that. Good to hear that they had good talents and you still enjoyed on the Escape, but that's the one area i wonder about disappointment. Like you, we would need family entertainment.

I'm loving your review, thanks!

We cruise on the Escape in October and it's our 1st with NCL. Love knowing about the "selfie stations!" Curious, how did you get the strawberries, by leaving comments? Just curious!

Hi, Southerngal! Sorry I missed answering your question when I quickly browsed through this morning.

I really don't know for sure - I can only guess it may be because I attended the CC meet and greet or because they know I write reviews (apparently they do read these forums) :) When you attend the meet and greet, they ask for your name, screen name, and room number. So, that is where they got my info to send the strawberries.

I thought it was a very nice gesture, either way. At no point did I feel their interest and care for us were to 'get our vote'. It was just true, sincere, good customer service. I can really see myself becoming friends with the staff, they were that personable and kind!

Thanks for all the comments, and the new followers :)

I worked last night to get the review completed on my word processor, so I am ready to close this out in the next 2 hours or so.

Here we go... ;)

\ For those who are waiting for the Freestyle Dailies... I'm sorry I could not get them done today. I will post them as soon as they are ready.

\

Could I trouble you for the show times? The ones that are held twice a night. I am 90 days out and making dinner reservations and wondering if 6 p.m gives us enough time for the first show? thanks in advance

Hi, momrox :) The dailies are coming very soon... By the end of the day. Enjoy planning!

I really don't know for sure - I can only guess it may be because I attended the CC meet and greet or because they know I write reviews (apparently they do read these forums) :) When you attend the meet and greet, they ask for your name, screen name, and room number. So, that is where they got my info to send the strawberries.

I think you're right about it coming from the M&G - a nice gesture from the current hotel director.

Your review continues to be fantastic - LOVE all the photos! Thank you for taking the time to share. :)

Welcome to my view of day 6 - for a very brief visit!

75a8f40d2d8795b598184179d1f86b28.jpg

This was a sea day, and we have covered all my ship pictures. I will therefore just share a couple of noteworthy events. :)

The Cruise Next staff presented the special again, but I enjoyed looking at the pictures of the ships:

4f73631994abe7c3b58bb23f22d7536c.jpg

af9949159b1c07cd7e257f82eb366091.jpg

We attended the “Deck and Engine Q&A”, which is similar to the Captain’s Corner on Royal Caribbean. This was a lot more technical though, with not as many ‘fun’ questions asked. I still enjoyed it, geek that I am:

Captain Giovanni Cutugno and Chief Engineer Edin Huskanovic

82ed06a07219f76db98b157d97d2b49f.jpg

We did learn that some of the new NCL ships will have the lifeboats inside the ship (as opposed to hanging over like on Escape). The captain shared that the larger ships will be able to sail the new Panama Canal, but they require the lifeboats to be inside the ship - not sticking out over the edge. Was this maybe an indication that NCL will be sending a new, large ship to the Panama Canal? (Maybe this is old news - I am always late with news…LOL!)

Another look at the chandelier - no more rainbow:

3db1e82f015e878ff417a14d98fad4d6.jpg

Cruising right along into day 7…. Coming up later: Nassau, Bahamas!

Sailing into Nassau, we were trailed by a rain storm - one of quite a few to come:

cb5f4cbef9bfccc67f6381232ed4e37a.jpg

We shared the port with only one other ship: Carnival Victory

cf4e0c8ce033a33da7a968faaf428d6b.jpg

Coming into port:

758a145026eaa69ba4b92e20ba63052c.jpg

227cf1117975c471aa8e9bbf674d29a8.jpg

540cc3c2535fa9a527285f72bb4a700f.jpg

Carnival Victory following:

34dd5be3231133ceefdf650d56eff10c.jpg