Any way to bring down cost of Haven?

mafig

I see Haven prices in the high $2000s ($2900 plus).

I have asked before if these prices go down and the answer was NO. However, you can book a balcony or mini suite and then upsell to the Haven.

Is there any way I can just puchase the Haven without taking the chance of buying a balcony (which I do not want) and just get a Haven a little less than the going rate? No sales? Do you find TAs discounting them? .... I'm willing to look.

Otherwise, I'm going to probably book MSC Yacht Club.

I have been in NCL suites before, but the prices were not this high. :(

Prices go up and down depending on load. There is no secret to getting a good deal outside of the upsell department, otherwise we'd all be doing it.

I always book at a level I am happy paying then set up alerts from a website which tells me if the price in higher categories goes down or my price goes down. As soon as I notice this I'll drop an email and upgrade or price reduce (perks permitting).

If it makes you feel better, my 1 week non-haven Alaska cruise is at the same level as your haven prices at the moment.

Price changes won't be the much savings (but any savings is better than none)...the best davings I have ever received was with the upsell but then you don't get to pick the room or category. And like you said, you might not get it - so it depends on your risk tolerance...as you said, you would not be happy in "just" a balcony.

We booked the Haven (Aft Balcony Deck 12) on the Escape for May 2017 for $1750 a person. We also got 2 different promo packs when they overlapped in the Spring. Depending on when you are looking either book early or try for upsell.

Oh and I forgot - some low seasons rates are reasonable if you can do those times...

My wife has me on March break, Summer break or xmas - so prices are crazy high...

Oh and I forgot - some low seasons rates are reasonable if you can do those times...

My wife has me on March break, Summer break or xmas - so prices are crazy high...

I run a daycare so I'm open for kids on all those breaks and vacation around them, lol!!

Edited by JennaMae

We booked the Haven (Aft Balcony Deck 12) on the Escape for May 2017 for $1750 a person. We also got 2 different promo packs when they overlapped in the Spring. Depending on when you are looking either book early or try for upsell.

That $1750/pp has to be for 4 people....right??

It is for 4, 2 adults, 2 teens (age 14 and age 13)!

Thanks...this will be my 6th or 7th stay in a Haven Aft Balcony...love them....but when I first saw that $1750 I thought it was for 2 people and said to myself that's the BEST rate by far that I've EVER seen for that cabin...was about to call up my PCC

Thanks...this will be my 6th or 7th stay in a Haven Aft Balcony...love them....but when I first saw that $1750 I thought it was for 2 people and said to myself that's the BEST rate by far that I've EVER seen for that cabin...was about to call up my PCC

Sorry....I would still keep looking and call your TA....you might get lucky:):)

Sorry....I would still keep looking and call your TA....you might get lucky:):)

I already booked the room ....quite awhile ago....was $3000/ pp for 2 people when I booked... As of 1/2 hour ago it's $3300/pp

I already booked the room ....quite awhile ago....was $3000/ pp for 2 people when I booked... As of 1/2 hour ago it's $3300/pp

Ugh that sucks!! When we decided to actively start cruising, we said we would do it with our 2 boys, as it's a cheaper way for them to see the world at this age. When it is the DH and I we tend to do land vacations that we know we wouldn't take our kids on at this age (Maui, extended wine tours, Ireland, etc). So I forget that the rate is considerably higher for 2 people in a suite[emoji20]

Edited by JennaMae

I see Haven prices in the high $2000s ($2900 plus).

I have asked before if these prices go down and the answer was NO. However, you can book a balcony or mini suite and then upsell to the Haven.

Is there any way I can just puchase the Haven without taking the chance of buying a balcony (which I do not want) and just get a Haven a little less than the going rate? No sales? Do you find TAs discounting them? .... I'm willing to look.

Otherwise, I'm going to probably book MSC Yacht Club.

I have been in NCL suites before, but the prices were not this high. :(

You might get a lower price or a heafty obc by using a ta vs using NCL direct. I couldn't find Haven prices that even remotely resembled your price but was shopping for med two week. They are running about quadruple what you are seeing. I used the online site where you put in the dates and category desired and then get quotes from various ta's. Once you get the quotes via email you can look up the companies and then call the ones with the best reviews and prices.

I've come to the conclusion that for the price, and the extras I would want, the Haven is not in my future any longer. People are raving about MSC but the big negative for me are the formal nights. Celebrity did away with them recently and their bev pkg is hands down much more inclusive and less expensive. They have some good suite prices. They don't have the Haven but do have a dedicated restaurant and Michaels club, concerige and butler. HAL has also ditched formal nights and has upped their suite amenities. I guess if you don't want all the extras that NCL charges you can still get a decent price on NCL. But for someone who does want the extras on NCL they will typically cost you much more now that they come with the included perks that for some aren't all that inclusive when you read the fine print.

I think that the whole book early and then keep an eye on prices till final payment is the best way to go regardless of which line you choose. They all fluctuate up and down depending on how strong bookings are but I've not seen any big price cuts on NCL suites. Some discounting after final pmt but not to the level when first avail for booking. That whole upsell last min is a bit too risky if you know you want a suite. I would think odds are pretty slim you would get lucky enough to nab one using that method.

We frequently sail in NCL suites. If you pick a suite late - about 6 weeks before sailing, you may get a tiny discount but the location is horrible. Less than 4weeks away and the extra offers are not eligible (I heard).

Recently, I just bite the bullet and buy what I want. Set a budget and then pick a compromise. Maybe a suite but 7 days instead of 9. Etc.

Price changes won't be the much savings (but any savings is better than none)...the best davings I have ever received was with the upsell but then you don't get to pick the room or category. And like you said, you might not get it - so it depends on your risk tolerance...as you said, you would not be happy in "just" a balcony.

Not true, they tell me the price of a category and I tell them the cabin number I want. I just look at what is available before calling.

Littlelulu, don't let formal nights on MSC scare you. You don't have to dress to the nines. For women, just about anything other than shorts. For men, also no shorts and a nice shirt. They will even allow jeans that are clean and not torn.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the OP.

We ended up booking the Yacht Club with MSC. :D For October, 2016.:)

The Haven was my first choice. We've been in suites before with NCL, but it's been a few years and I was shocked at the increase in price. MSC is way "cheaper" and they have a couple of new ships coming out for the US market. I've looked at the price and it also seems reasonable (although it's not until end of 2017/beginning of 2018). The pricing for the Yacht Club is about the same as it is for the Divina now.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Not being able to pick your cabin isn't always true. When I did our upsell in June, I was offered either an H6, H5, H9 or H7 for $750 per person. I chose the aft H6. It just depends, I think, if they have more than one category to upsell.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Not being able to pick your cabin isn't always true. When I did our upsell in June, I was offered either an H6, H5, H9 or H7 for $750 per person. I chose the aft H6. It just depends, I think, if they have more than one category to upsell.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

were you able to pick the specific H6? i admit if i'm getting a steep discount that i should not worry about the room but some of the haven spa rooms on BA are below the gym i believe.

----------------

on BA are the 15th and 16th deck haven rooms access/hallways protected by a door. i'm assuming so but i've never actually seen that in print. or can anyone just walk past them? i'm assuming the access to restaurant and courtyard is 'walled off' of course.

were you able to pick the specific H6? i admit if i'm getting a steep discount that i should not worry about the room but some of the haven spa rooms on BA are below the gym i believe.

----------------

on BA are the 15th and 16th deck haven rooms access/hallways protected by a door. i'm assuming so but i've never actually seen that in print. or can anyone just walk past them? i'm assuming the access to restaurant and courtyard is 'walled off' of course.

You access the 15th and 16th floor at the silver door on each floor. You can enter on 15 and climb stiars to 16. You cannot access any part of the Haven without your Haven key card. The rooms are in hallways that are separated from the courtyard. Nobody can just walk by your suite unless they are a Haven guest. The spa suites are keyed to the Haven doors.

----------------

Yes, I was able to pick the cabin that I wanted. Granted it was from only two H6s and they were on the same deck, but I did get to choose and the upsell dept. told me the other cabin numbers that were available as well. They are very helpful.

On the Escape, the Haven Spa Suites are all in the Haven. The only spa cabins below the gym on Escape are balconies.

I was able to pick my specific cabin on the BA both times. I did a dummy booking and knew what was available at the time of my call. I had a 2bd on my last cruise and did upsell to OS for my upcoming cruise in August. For my April cruise, I watched inventory, but called 17 days before cruise. August cruise, certain categories where going fast, called 30 days before cruise.