Not charged for onboard account?

Mom2B&Z

I just received this email from NCL, I think it's from our cruise on Breakaway in March, 2016. I went back and checked my cc statements and sure enough, we were never charged.

Fortunately we didn't have a large bill, but I foresee many unhappy customers.

Dear Valued Guest,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information regarding your final onboard invoice.

Norwegian began offering guests the ability to pay for any onboard expenses in the currency of their home country - a system called Dynamic Currency Conversion - earlier this year.

As a result of a system error at the entity that processes Norwegian Cruise Line's credit card transactions, your final onboard charge was not processed. We will be submitting this charge to the credit card you provided at embarkation for your shipboard charges today. This charge will appear on your credit card within the next 7 business days.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received this email from NCL' date=' I think it's from our cruise on Breakaway in March, 2016. I went back and checked my cc statements and sure enough, we were never charged.

Fortunately we didn't have a large bill, but I foresee many unhappy customers.

Dear Valued Guest,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information regarding your final onboard invoice.

Norwegian began offering guests the ability to pay for any onboard expenses in the currency of their home country - a system called Dynamic Currency Conversion - earlier this year.

As a result of a system error at the entity that processes Norwegian Cruise Line's credit card transactions, your final onboard charge was not processed. We will be submitting this charge to the credit card you provided at embarkation for your shipboard charges today. This charge will appear on your credit card within the next 7 business days.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote']

Why would anyone be unhappy about this? they had a reprieve of a few months to pay the bill? Did they think they were getting it for free?? Cant for the life of me can i see anyone being upset about this, no possible reason, unless you thought you were getting a free ride

Why would anyone be unhappy about this? they had a reprieve of a few months to pay the bill? Did they think they were getting it for free?? Cant for the life of me can i see anyone being upset about this, no possible reason, unless you thought you were getting a free ride
I could forsee people being unhappy. It's the same sentiment running in several threads right now, that being that NCL is awful and we should all stick it to NCL. "NCL made an error, it was their mistake, so I'm going to hold them to it. It's not my fault that their system malfunctioned. I would have paid the charges back then, but now it's months later, and it's not right that they surprise me with this. They need to do the right thing and waive the charges. I am calling my credit card company as we speak to dispute the charges."

This is the NCL board. People are going to be unhappy.

OP, did you actually ask for the Dynamic Currency Conversion (if so, why?), or did they somehow fail to charge everyone's accounts on this cruise?

I could forsee people being unhappy. It's the same sentiment running in several threads right now, that being that NCL is awful and we should all stick it to NCL. "NCL made an error, it was their mistake, so I'm going to hold them to it. It's not my fault that their system malfunctioned. I would have paid the charges back then, but now it's months later, and it's not right that they surprise me with this. They need to do the right thing and waive the charges. I am calling my credit card company as we speak to dispute the charges."
If they want to stick it to NCL, they should close down their credit card account. The holds will have expired by now, if the card no longer exists, what can NCL do to get the money? Of course these customers should forget about ever cruising NCL again, but wasn't that the whole point? Edited by hawkeyetlse

This is the NCL board. People are going to be unhappy.

OP, did you actually ask for the Dynamic Currency Conversion (if so, why?), or did they somehow fail to charge everyone's accounts on this cruise?If they want to stick it to NCL, they should close down their credit card account. The holds will have expired by now, if the card no longer exists, what can NCL do to get the money? Of course these customers should forget about ever cruising NCL again, but wasn't that the whole point?

This is called fraud and NCL will certainly not just let it be. Closing an account does not necessarily mean they wont go after you.

just because you were not billed right away does not make you entitled to free stuff

Their signing the paperwork is considered a promise to pay. NCL would be entitled to take any actions to collect the debt up to and including civil proceedings and attachment of accounts. The customer would also be liable for any legal fees associated with the collection process. Being frustrated does not give someone the right to commit fraud.

Yes - I just got one too! Yes I'll pay it because I owe them money, but I must admit I'm disappointed because I was unaware it wasn't paid. Just shows I don't check my CC statement that carefully. I just look at my monthly account and pay on the due date. I just hope it wasn't too huge.

just because you were not billed right away does not make you entitled to free stuff
I agree. Of course those were valid charges, it doesn't matter when they get billed.

But the mentality of many lately on this board seems to be that NCL is an evil evil company. Oooh Frank Del Rio makes $9 million, so greedy, I will die without my distilled water, how is a free offer if I have to pay the tips, I will ONLY drink Diet Coke so now I literally have nothing to drink for an entire week blah blah blah.

The way people talk, it's almost as if they think NCL should pay US money to suffer the indignities of cruising on one of their ships.

First of all, I am not seriously telling people not to pay their bills (I know people, and they don't need me to put that idea in their heads). But there are lots of reasons why someone's card may no longer be valid, and if a vendor waits four months to process a charge they need to accept responsibility for exposing themselves to that risk. And the first step would not be legal proceedings or debt collectors, because again they can't prove that the customer cancelled the card deliberately to avoid this charge.

I agree with you! The people knew they owed, just because NCL was late billing them does not mean that they would never be billed. System errors occur, they should be happy they got a couple of extra months of not paying interest if they don't pay off their credit card every month.

First of all, I am not seriously telling people not to pay their bills (I know people, and they don't need me to put that idea in their heads). But there are lots of reasons why someone's card may no longer be valid, and if a vendor waits four months to process a charge they need to accept responsibility for exposing themselves to that risk. And the first step would not be legal proceedings or debt collectors, because again they can't prove that the customer cancelled the card deliberately to avoid this charge.

Certainly NOT the first step, but failing other methods the eventual step. When it goes from being simply an accidental omission to being intentional non payment of debt then bad results will follow.

I once had a department store bill (Marks and Spencer) come through a couple of months after I made the transaction. They never informed me, it just went through as a normal payment. I noticed because I had bought the item in UK. I don't shop in the Gibraltar M &S. I felt a bit :p because I had not noticed that I owed them money and so it feels like you are paying it twice.

I didn't resent M&S or write to any forum about the terrible service. It was my bill at the end of the day.

The stance of some peoples opinion makes you question their integrity. You get off the ship, notice you don't get billed and you assume it's all free? Even worse, you get the bill late and feel entitled to not pay? What if we flip this around? You paid for your cruise, you show up on embarkation day and are told that their system doesn't show you paid and are denied getting on. Wouldn't you like to get the services you paid for? I'm assuming NCL would like to receive payments for the services you were provided with. I had a similar issue happen with a hotel reservation not to long ago, and when I noticed the charges didn't appear on my monthly statement I personally called the hotel and asked for them to verify they had received the payment, sure enough they had not. They went ahead and processed it and the manager then called me the next day to give me a free room on my next visit, was not expecting this but I was raised to be honest and got a small reward for it. Some people might not agree with NCL's latest policy updates but that does not give anyone the right to "steal" from the company. Just an opinion and expressing my point of view.

So far no one has said they are going to contest the charge. Give them a few days to come out of the woodwork, then we can question their integrity.

Disputing valid charges for instance...

I had a similar issue happen with a hotel reservation not to long ago, and when I noticed the charges didn't appear on my monthly statement I personally called the hotel and asked for them to verify they had received the payment, sure enough they had not. They went ahead and processed it and the manager then called me the next day to give me a free room on my next visit, was not expecting this but I was raised to be honest and got a small reward for it.

While it does not affect me, I feel that NCL could have been proactive like the hotel mentioned above.

It would have been 'nice' for the email quoted by the OP to have had a line. "To apologise for any distress caused we have made available an OBC of $25 on the next cruise you take with NCL. When booking please quote .........".

Good business practice and a way of getting over the negative posts.

While it does not affect me, I feel that NCL could have been proactive like the hotel mentioned above.

It would have been 'nice' for the email quoted by the OP to have had a line. "To apologise for any distress caused we have made available an OBC of $25 on the next cruise you take with NCL. When booking please quote .........".

Good business practice and a way of getting over the negative posts.

It would have been a terrific approach even though they are not required to do so. I believe that NCL needs to update their software technology team or hire other 3rd party companies to assist. It seems there is always something going on and some people use this against them.

I believe that NCL needs to update their software technology team or hire other 3rd party companies to assist. It seems there is always something going on and some people use this against them.

What NCL really needs are cynics, realists and people from real life in their customer service departments. People on the shop floor who accept that NCL has made mistakes and are able and willing to rectify them "hang the cost". The penny pinchers would soon get the message.

Many years ago we went into a nationwide shop on a Saturday morning after seeing an advert in the local paper for bunk beds. They were at a price that was really great. When we enquired the shop manager apologized and said the advert was wrong and though they were shown with mattresses the mattresses were extra. We went home again.

The following Saturday the same advert, with the mattresses, appeared so we went back. The same manager sold them too us at the quoted price and said he would sort it out with Head Office.

The next Saturday there was a note about not including the mattresses in the price.

NCL needs "managers" who look on customers as being the most important part of their job not who look on their seniors and the saving of money as most important.