Opening Balcony Dividers Yourself

I'm not trying to start trouble to cause any damage, I promise! I thought I read that some people opened theirs themselves with ease. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

You're not mistaken, I've seen posts about it.

It is best to request this be done by your room steward. They will open/close as permitted by the captain and you don't have to worry about bringing or tool or potential damage to the partians. :)

Official company policy is that dividers cannot be opened for the passengers, even with connecting cabins. Previously, it was up to the Captain to decide which, and how many, dividers he/she would allow to be opened at a time, but after having so many complaints about some guests having theirs open and others not allowed, it was decided to make a fleet wide policy of no opening. Having said that, many stewards will flaunt this in the hope of better tips. The ability to open the dividers was mandated by law after the Star Princess fire, where the fire teams could not go from one balcony to the next to fight the fire. The ability to open is for firefighting and maintenance only.

The dividers are locked for the protection of passengers. So it's common sense that someone from the crew should open the dividers.

I've read on this board the dividers cannot be open while the ship is underway. Not sure if this is official, but it does make sense.

The dividers are locked for the protection of passengers. So it's common sense that someone from the crew should open the dividers.

I've read on this board the dividers cannot be open while the ship is underway. Not sure if this is official, but it does make sense.

NCL's policy is a bummer. We had 9 balconies linked on our Celebrity cruise, and it was awesome!

Am I the only one that doesn't like having the balcony dividers opened when traveling in a large group with adjoining cabins? The constant fear of a 5-year old smudging up against the sliding glass door sort of limits what activities can occur in a stateroom.

Am I the only one that doesn't like having the balcony dividers opened when traveling in a large group with adjoining cabins? The constant fear of a 5-year old smudging up against the sliding glass door sort of limits what activities can occur in a stateroom.

Haha, point taken. But that's what the curtain and TV-background noise are for.

NCL's policy is a bummer. We had 9 balconies linked on our Celebrity cruise, and it was awesome!

Having 9 balconies open together is a real invitation to disaster. That Captain must have a very high tolerance for risk.

I too would be interested to hear what "disasters" having the dividers open would cause. You yourself Cheng said that it is safer for them to be able to be opened for fire safety.

Fire spreading

N=2, but on all my cruises on HAL & Celebrity the divider between me and my cruise companion's cabin were opened within minutes after asking the steward. Too fast to ask Captain's permission I guess.

I too would be interested to hear what "disasters" having the dividers open would cause. You yourself Cheng said that it is safer for them to be able to be opened for fire safety.

No, that is not what I said. I said the ability to open them in a fire situation is required, so that a fire team actively chasing a fire from one balcony to the next can do so without having to chop out the divider or go back into the passageway and enter the next cabin. The dividers are there to slow the spread of the fire from one balcony to the next.

Opening that many dividers may even breach a fire zone boundary (you know, those places where there is a door that closes in the passageway, and is between cabins), such that you now have the ability to jump a fire from one zone to the next. Plus, it creates a wind tunnel along the face of those 9 cabins that can sweep a fire from one to the next.

I don't know, maybe its just me who looks at things from a passenger safety viewpoint, not a I'm going to do everything I can to enjoy myself viewpoint.

Edited by chengkp75

No, that is not what I said. I said the ability to open them in a fire situation is required, so that a fire team actively chasing a fire from one balcony to the next can do so without having to chop out the divider or go back into the passageway and enter the next cabin. The dividers are there to slow the spread of the fire from one balcony to the next.

Opening that many dividers may even breach a fire zone boundary (you know, those places where there is a door that closes in the passageway, and is between cabins), such that you now have the ability to jump a fire from one zone to the next. Plus, it creates a wind tunnel along the face of those 9 cabins that can sweep a fire from one to the next.

I don't know, maybe its just me who looks at things from a passenger safety viewpoint, not a I'm going to do everything I can to enjoy myself viewpoint.

The obvious, primary reason for the dividers is privacy. Whether or not they serve a function as to fire suppression, I do not know. Oh, and please don't try to assume what my motivations are.

@chengkp75,

I don't think I've read about a cruise ship disaster caused by fire, but in case of a fire that gets out of control, is there an emergency procedure where the Captain would say "Attention all guests and crew. We have a very serious fire. We need you to help fighting it. Please help us by throwing overboard anything that's flammable. I'm serious. This includes curtains, paintings, cupboards, your beds, minibars, carpets and even your luggage. The only exception is lifevests which you should put in the hallway. Also please help other guests to do the same in their cabins".

It would be a bit costly, and a lot of trees planted to make up for the environmental damage done, but always less than losing lives or the ship. An average ship, having like 1000 crew and 2000 guests working hard to strip the ship to almost bare metal should be able to stop any fire?

Edited by AmazedByCruising
sp

On the Breakaway last year the stupid idiots next door opened the balcony dividers between their room and their neighbours room (their friends) using their own tool. Sadly they then opened the one between their balcony and ours and thought it was hilarious.

For me as a woman on my own, with my balcony door open having been sat on the balcony reading until 1am, and just going back in the room to get ready for bed and therefore being half undressed this was not funny. The fact that 5 drunk men in their early 20s were able to open the balcony divider and effectively get in to our room was disturbing and ruined the last few days of the holiday. Fair enough, they are probably not interested in looking at a married woman in her 30s, but that's not the point.

We pay for a balcony because we like the fresh air and the sound of the sea, and it actually really annoys me that the balconies are un-lockable by any means. The incident certainly took the shine off the holiday and I daren't have the balcony door open, or even the curtains open, at all when I was in the room on my own.

Edited by Cloudyrain

On the Breakaway last year the stupid idiots next door opened the balcony dividers between their room and their neighbours room (their friends) using their own tool. Sadly they then opened the one between their balcony and ours and thought it was hilarious.

For me as a woman on my own, with my balcony door open having been sat on the balcony reading until 1am, and just going back in the room to get ready for bed and therefore being half undressed this was not funny. The fact that 5 drunk men in their early 20s were able to open the balcony divider and effectively get in to our room was disturbing and ruined the last few days of the holiday. Fair enough, they are probably not interested in looking at a married woman in her 30s, but that's not the point.

We pay for a balcony because we like the fresh air and the sound of the sea, and it actually really annoys me that the balconies are un-lockable by any means. The incident certainly took the shine off the holiday and I daren't have the balcony door open, or even the curtains open, at all when I was in the room on my own.

Sorry to hear this. That is unfortunate and shameful behavior. I hope you haven't lost favor of how delightful balconies can be!

That said, I would still advocate for the ability to open the dividers, as it makes communication and, well, QT with your neighbors much easier. I obviously would not condone trying to get to an unknown neighbor's balcony.

• Thanks 1

Don't think it has been mentioned but one of the key reasons to have a steward do it is so THEY know it's open. In the event of an emergency they may have to secure it quickly.

Privacy is the main reason for dividers but they do serve a purpose in fire control and access (they can also be used to evacuate people in the even a corridor is compromised).

On some ships, I'd even wonder if there was an aerodynamic impact to dividers being opened...

so glad we cruise princess...Have had our 3 connected balconies opened for all 15 days thru the panama canal and hope to do that again on our next cruise..4 mini's and we party and have a blast out there with our friends!

so glad we cruise princess...Have had our 3 connected balconies opened for all 15 days thru the panama canal and hope to do that again on our next cruise..4 mini's and we party and have a blast out there with our friends!

Couldn't agree more, it is a blast! Why Norwegian would want to add another deterrent to cruising with them is beyond me.