Sun itinerary changed for August 1, 2016 sailing?

frugaltravel

Has anyone heard any details about a change in the Sun's itinerary next week?

Last I heard is that they switched Juneau and Icy Strait Pount, will have longer time in Juneau and will skip Sawyer Glacier. I would love to know more specific port times or any other info.

Thanks!

Edited by frugaltravel

Most of this season the Sun has been skipping Skagway on it's southbound trips opting for IPS instead.

The reason given for this was to do with sewage and the lack of good bacteria in the waste tanks after repair and cleaning at the quick drydocking in San Fransisco earlier this year. Until they get enough bacteria built up to keep the anerobic system working, they need to dump the tank in the ocean - ISP allows them to make a jaunt into open ocean before heading into the inside passages of AK where such dumping is illegal.

The new dock in ISP makes port calls there much easier - perhaps more ships will come to that area now.

As for Tracy Arm most ships have had to skip it this year due to extreme icing conditions - they have been using Endicott arm and Dawes Glacier as a substitute.

We are sailing southbound on the Sun Sept 12 and my documents show us stopping at both ports. It shows our only "at sea" day as Sunday Sept 18. I was going to book a dog sled tour in Skagway, should I wait? I really wanted to do something else in Juneau, and that is the only other stop with a dog sled tour. Ive heard if they change itineraries you get OBC?

We are sailing southbound on the Sun Sept 12 and my documents show us stopping at both ports. It shows our only "at sea" day as Sunday Sept 18. I was going to book a dog sled tour in Skagway, should I wait? I really wanted to do something else in Juneau, and that is the only other stop with a dog sled tour. Ive heard if they change itineraries you get OBC?

Passengers on the August 1st southbound were notified recently of the change in port calls (the ship was scheduled to stop at both ports + sawyer). If you have not been notified of a change for the Sep 12, then go ahead and book your shore ex (but close to cruise date, things may change).

Has anyone heard any details about a change in the Sun's itinerary next week?

Last I heard is that they switched Juneau and Icy Strait Pount, will have longer time in Juneau and will skip Sawyer Glacier. I would love to know more specific port times or any other info.

Thanks!

Where do you get this information? We will be doing 2 weeks on August 15th and I have just received this email from my Juneau Whale Watching Tour Company (1st week):

Hello from Alaska!

We have been notified of a change to your ship's itinerary that will effect the ports of Juneau and Icy Strait. We are currently underway to adjust your scheduled excursions and will resend your e-tickets with new times and dates as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us!

Best Regards,

Jason Rush

Operations Manager

The Alaska Shore Excursions Team

Just when I thought I could relax, having squared most of the organisation of our cruise away! I will be watching this thread with interest over the next couple of weeks (not to mention checking my email inbox!)

Thanks for posting this and for the answers. If anyone learns of changes to the 22nd and 29th Aug sailings please contribute to this thread - I certainly will.

:confused:

FF

Just between last night and this morning our itinerary has changed from 7-1 in Juneau to 7-? In Juneau. I am now assuming our sept 12 sailing will skip Skagway as well. This makes me sad. Not to the point that I am mad or anything, just sad. Icy straight point doesn't have near the quality or number of excursions that Skagway has. Any suggestions for what to do there "on your own?"

Just when I thought I could relax, having squared most of the organisation of our cruise away! I will be watching this thread with interest over the next couple of weeks (not to mention checking my email inbox!)

Thanks for posting this and for the answers. If anyone learns of changes to the 22nd and 29th Aug sailings please contribute to this thread - I certainly will.

FF

For the 29th sailing, I was advised bu our excursion provider that Juneau and Icy Straight point have been reversed.

Ok folks, ISP was on the original itinerary, with Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, along with Hubbard Glacier and Sawyer Glacier. We sailed June 20, and had our itinerary changed late on June 18, so.....many people didn't know of the changes until they got to the pier, because most were travelling to Seward or on land tours. In fact, we never received information from NCL until we go to the pier. I learned about everything from a tour provider in ISP, and from these boards.

Now, our trip got detoured from Skagway, we went to Sitka instead so that after we left port, we could go dump waste water into the ocean. We were further delayed in Sitka because we were at anchor, and the anchor winch wouldn't work and needed parts. 6 hours after we were supposed to leave, we headed out to the ocean and then on to Juneau. Our time in Juneau got delayed further because of the anchor winch delay in Sitka. What a mess!

I'm hopeful the bacteria issue has been resolved for those of you sailing tomorrow, 8/1 and that you get to go to Skagway. However, don't be surprised if you get a form letter at the dock and little fanfare that your itinerary you have been planning for 2 years is now changed.

For the 29th sailing, I was advised bu our excursion provider that Juneau and Icy Straight point have been reversed.

Currently, the 29th Aug itinerary we have from NCL is unchanged from the original one I saw when I booked at the beginning of the year:-

1. Seward
  2. Hubbard Glacier
  3. Icy Strait Point
  4. Juneau
  5. Skagway
  6. Ketchikan
  7. At Sea
  8. Vancouver

I would hope that it stays that way.

Currently, the 29th Aug itinerary we have from NCL is unchanged from the original one I saw when I booked at the beginning of the year:-

1. Seward
  2. Hubbard Glacier
  3. Icy Strait Point
  4. Juneau
  5. Skagway
  6. Ketchikan
  7. At Sea
  8. Vancouver

I would hope that it stays that way.

Unfortunately, as others have said, the recent sailings only received notice from NCL days before their departure. It was only the private excursion providers that gave advance notice. Our provider has provided us notice now.

Just between last night and this morning our itinerary has changed from 7-1 in Juneau to 7-? In Juneau. I am now assuming our sept 12 sailing will skip Skagway as well. This makes me sad. Not to the point that I am mad or anything, just sad. Icy straight point doesn't have near the quality or number of excursions that Skagway has. Any suggestions for what to do there "on your own?"

I booked independently through another company/agent. They had a few extra options to consider. I am hoping NCL hasn't changed the order of the ports. The source I used replaces Critic with Compete. ;)

I booked independently through another company/agent. They had a few extra options to consider. I am hoping NCL hasn't changed the order of the ports. The source I used replaces Critic with Compete. ;)

Hi Aqua;

Come join our roll call for the sailing on the 29th....

Ed

Unfortunately, as others have said, the recent sailings only received notice from NCL days before their departure. It was only the private excursion providers that gave advance notice. Our provider has provided us notice now.

I hope our independent is on the ball then! I will drop them a line just in case. We will certainly have the number available for emergency contact (as they do recommend).

Is cruising always this stressful?!? :eek:

Most of this season the Sun has been skipping Skagway on it's southbound trips opting for IPS instead.

The reason given for this was to do with sewage and the lack of good bacteria in the waste tanks after repair and cleaning at the quick drydocking in San Fransisco earlier this year. Until they get enough bacteria built up to keep the anerobic system working, they need to dump the tank in the ocean - ISP allows them to make a jaunt into open ocean before heading into the inside passages of AK where such dumping is illegal.

The new dock in ISP makes port calls there much easier - perhaps more ships will come to that area now.

As for Tracy Arm most ships have had to skip it this year due to extreme icing conditions - they have been using Endicott arm and Dawes Glacier as a substitute.

Sorry, I meant to say they went to Sitka instead of Skagway - Sitka is closer to the open ocean where they can dump their tanks. ISP was indeed already on the schedule of ports. They also appear to be taking this week by week.

FF

I'll post here and on the 22nd Roll Call. I am Aug 15th & 22nd. I did get a updated Excursion Ticket today changing my Icy Point & Juneau days for my first week. Doesn't seam to be a big deal but I hope that doesn't mean missing Sawyer Glacier. I haven't heard anything about the following week. Maybe it will be fixed by then. I keep hearing that NCL notifys people at the last minute (2-5 days), pretty crappy but I have never cruised with them before so maybe they all do that.

I'll post here and on the 22nd Roll Call. I am Aug 15th & 22nd. I did get a updated Excursion Ticket today changing my Icy Point & Juneau days for my first week. Doesn't seam to be a big deal but I hope that doesn't mean missing Sawyer Glacier. I haven't heard anything about the following week. Maybe it will be fixed by then. I keep hearing that NCL notifys people at the last minute (2-5 days), pretty crappy but I have never cruised with them before so maybe they all do that.

Hmm, I think I will be sending a message to NCL themselves shortly. Based on the thread on CC about the new NCL Drinks Policy, I think they seem to have a track record of informing passengers at a late hour. Yes, it's "pretty crappy" and a poor attitude. This doesn't endear me to the senior team of NCL. A dark part of me wonders if they refrain from telling passengers because it inconveniences those who have made prior independent excursion arrangements and drives them into the arms of the NCL excursion system? Or is that being too cynical?

Incidentally, someone I know reviewed their NCL cruise recently and reported very bad organisation regarding the shore excursion groups.

Yes-from what I've read from other people's posts, the changes seem to be for all of August Southbound. It is the tour operators who are informing the guests as shoreside/the port has informed the tour operators of the changes. The guests, unfortunately have only been finding out once boarded. I'm on the 29th August, so if they already know the changes now, hopefully they will inform us of the changes soon. My hope is that I don't miss any of the 4 ports. If they change Skagway/Sitka that's fine as I haven't been to either, but I know there will be disappointed cruisers as many cruises often book for a specific itinerary. I don't want to miss Icy Point as from my research it sounds like a port I'd really enjoy. (I'm also doing the following Northbound, but I haven't read of changes there yet. That cruise is only visiting 3 ports.):confused:

Yes-from what I've read from other people's posts, the changes seem to be for all of August Southbound. It is the tour operators who are informing the guests as shoreside/the port has informed the tour operators of the changes. The guests, unfortunately have only been finding out once boarded. I'm on the 29th August, so if they already know the changes now, hopefully they will inform us of the changes soon. My hope is that I don't miss any of the 4 ports. If they change Skagway/Sitka that's fine as I haven't been to either, but I know there will be disappointed cruisers as many cruises often book for a specific itinerary. I don't want to miss Icy Point as from my research it sounds like a port I'd really enjoy. (I'm also doing the following Northbound, but I haven't read of changes there yet. That cruise is only visiting 3 ports.):confused:

Fingers crossed for you, Karoo. I don't think you will miss ISP because it looks like a (simple) swap of dates.

We theoretically don't mind the change for ISP and Juneau because we are only booked on one excursion (at ISP) which, hopefully, means a fairly easy swap for us. However, I will be more than miffed if they substitute Sitka for Skagway as we have a fun excursion booked for Skagway that both myself and my wife are really anticipating. If NCL ruins that I can well imagine us throwing a bit of a hissy fit! :mad:

I certainly hope they don't change anything on the northbound cruise since we have something already booked in each port! Sorting that out would be costly in time, money (phone calls) and stress...not to mention good will.

I can certainly begin to see why folk are so readily tied to NCL's own portfolio of excursions rather than risking booking ahead via competitors. Therefore, I re-state my suspicion that such changes may not be entirely 'innocent'. Paranoid? Moi? :rolleyes:

That said, I still hope to return from the cruise and write up a positive review. Foul this one up NCL and you won't see us for harsh words and sea spray! :(

Fingers crossed for you, Karoo. I don't think you will miss ISP because it looks like a (simple) swap of dates.

We theoretically don't mind the change for ISP and Juneau because we are only booked on one excursion (at ISP) which, hopefully, means a fairly easy swap for us. However, I will be more than miffed if they substitute Sitka for Skagway as we have a fun excursion booked for Skagway that both myself and my wife are really anticipating. If NCL ruins that I can well imagine us throwing a bit of a hissy fit! :mad:

I certainly hope they don't change anything on the northbound cruise since we have something already booked in each port! Sorting that out would be costly in time, money (phone calls) and stress...not to mention good will.

I can certainly begin to see why folk are so readily tied to NCL's own portfolio of excursions rather than risking booking ahead via competitors. Therefore, I re-state my suspicion that such changes may not be entirely 'innocent'. Paranoid? Moi? :rolleyes:

That said, I still hope to return from the cruise and write up a positive review. Foul this one up NCL and you won't see us for harsh words and sea spray! :(

I think at this stage the Northbound cruise isn't changing or I haven't heard/read of any yet. I think most of the private tour operators though, have free cancellation policies in place for missed shore excursions due to the ship not porting. They tend to try and fit in, make changes, as they're motivated to keep the business. That still doesn't mean that you're going to be happy though, missing out on your planned tours, but hopefully you won't be out of pocket. I'm still unsure why they haven't contacted us if they know already the itinerary is going to be changed. I think the August 1st cruise was contacted 2 days prior. I hope you get to Skagway to do your fun tour.