NCL's Frustrating New Drink policy

AK Dreaming

We booked before the change in policy and I really feel we should be grandfathered in, as when we booked we thought we could bring Diet Coke. I was on the Escape in July and tried a Diet Pepsi. They changed the formula to change the sweetener and the results are awful. It is undrinkable. They are changing back but not before my next cruise. My question is, can we bring tea bags on the ship. I need someway to get caffeine and I do not do coffee and very specific on my tea?

I do not know about bringing tea bags. But depending on your room level you can request tea bags and hot water be delivered to your room. That is what I did last year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They'll have several different bagged teas in the dining rooms & buffet -- black tea, green tea, decaf, a few different herbal teas. But if you want a particular type, you can certainly bring it, and use your cabin coffeemaker to heat water if you don't want to go up to the buffet just for hot water.

I'll take it one step further: Yes you can, and yes, you should.

I'm pretty particular about my tea. I regretted not bringing my own on. I kept trying different kinds, and the caffeinated ones always tasted "off." I will say the mint tea was excellent.

They'll have several different bagged teas in the dining rooms & buffet -- black tea, green tea, decaf, a few different herbal teas. But if you want a particular type, you can certainly bring it, and use your cabin coffeemaker to heat water if you don't want to go up to the buffet just for hot water.

No reason you can't take tea bags on board, they were not in the changes to taking drinks on board.

But a warning, if the coffee maker is just used for heating water the tea may well taste terrible, we call it "teofee". When we use hotel coffee makers to heat water to make tea we make about 4 lots of hot water before we use any for tea. Even then it tastes!!

On the Sun from Buenos Aires to San Francisco we had to breakfast in Moderno to get early enough breakfasts before tours. They used coffee jugs for hot water, yuck "teoffee"!! :mad: :mad: We complained and the next time it wasn't so bad as they had well washed them but it was still "teoffee". :mad: The third time the jugs had little stuck on red notices "TEA ONLY" and all was well. :D :D

No reason you can't take tea bags on board, they were not in the changes to taking drinks on board.

But a warning, if the coffee maker is just used for heating water the tea may well taste terrible, we call it "teofee". When we use hotel coffee makers to heat water to make tea we make about 4 lots of hot water before we use any for tea. Even then it tastes!!

On the Sun from Buenos Aires to San Francisco we had to breakfast in Moderno to get early enough breakfasts before tours. They used coffee jugs for hot water, yuck "teoffee"!! :mad: :mad: We complained and the next time it wasn't so bad as they had well washed them but it was still "teoffee". :mad: The third time the jugs had little stuck on red notices "TEA ONLY" and all was well. :D :D

It just occurred to me for this problem...

Would it work, at least a bit, to bring along a small baggie with a couple of tablespoons (+/-) of baking soda, and let it dissolve in the first pot and just sit there a while?

We booked before the change in policy and I really feel we should be grandfathered in, as when we booked we thought we could bring Diet Coke. I was on the Escape in July and tried a Diet Pepsi. They changed the formula to change the sweetener and the results are awful. It is undrinkable. They are changing back but not before my next cruise. My question is, can we bring tea bags on the ship. I need someway to get caffeine and I do not do coffee and very specific on my tea?

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/my-caffeine-detox ??

Please let us know how you would implement your request??? You're one person out of 4500 passengers on your cruise. How would you recommend that they allow you, specifically, to bring drinks on board and not the other 4498 passengers?

Please let us know how you would implement your request??? You're one person out of 4500 passengers on your cruise. How would you recommend that they allow you, specifically, to bring drinks on board and not the other 4498 passengers?

Uh. They could have implemented the policy change on new itineraries only.

It just occurred to me for this problem...

Would it work, at least a bit, to bring along a small baggie with a couple of tablespoons (+/-) of baking soda, and let it dissolve in the first pot and just sit there a while?

No I do not recommend that. You definitely do not want to get questioned about a baggie with a few tablespoons of white powder in your luggage. There is a good chance they would not believe it was baking soda.

No I do not recommend that. You definitely do not want to get questioned about a baggie with a few tablespoons of white powder in your luggage. There is a good chance they would not believe it was baking soda.

:eek:

OMG!

What was I thinking!??

I obviously never thought about that!!!

"Nevermind"

I am a Diet Cokaholic. Since I can't bring my DC with me, I'll get my fix in port. I also plan to bring Crystal Light with Caffeine drink mixes onboard with me. I don't drink coffee or tea. It'll be cheaper anyway in the long run than the soft drink package of something that I don't care for, even if I buy bottled water to mix my Crystal Light.

I agree with you 100%, the new Diet Pepsi formula is undrinkable! I was a Diet Pepsi drinker and didn't care for Diet Coke, but now that's all I can drink. I didn't know about the formula change right away and threw out a case of soda thinking it was bad, before I heard about the change.

I don't like coffee or tea so I don't know what I'm going g to do. The Crystal light caffeine packets might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's not how NCL rolls. Last year, I booked prior to the room service surcharge and was still stuck with the surcharge if I wanted room service.

These post-booking shenanigans are one of the reasons I've decided to try other cruiselines.

Considering the reaction to NCL announcing that their new "security measures" would start in two weeks, it would have been interesting to read the comments had it been two years. :)

Don't know if it is age or not but we haven't consumed diet sodas for at least 15 years. We just don't like them anymore. Also, my doctor says they are not good for our health, especially drinking several in a day.

One thing my doctor says that moderate drinking of red wine is good for my health. That's great.

:eek:

OMG!

What was I thinking!??

I obviously never thought about that!!!

"Nevermind"

It's a great idea!

I don't think they open suitcases that dont appear to have booze/ Coke bottles /cans or oddly- wired devices in them.

And you could put it in a cleaned out medicine bottle. Baking soda has a very recognizable scent.

Or even buy a clean brew sachet from Target / Walmart. Or order free hot water from room service for breakfast.

It's a great idea!

I don't think they open suitcases that dont appear to have booze/ Coke bottles /cans or oddly- wired devices in them.

And you could put it in a cleaned out medicine bottle. Baking soda has a very recognizable scent.

Or even buy a clean brew sachet from Target / Walmart. Or order free hot water from room service for breakfast.

You could also ask the steward for a cup or two of white vinegar to run through the coffee pot to clean it. The baking soda shouldn't be a problem if properly placed in your checked luggage.

If NCL management could bury their egos and disdain for their guests, they could follow Carnival's example and make a deal with a bottled water supplier. If the local grocers can sell bottled water for $1.99 a case of 24 bottles, NCL could sell the same for $3.99 and make a ton of money plus turn a negative into a positive moneymaker.

Edited by swedish weave

You could also ask the steward for a cup or two of white vinegar to run through the coffee pot to clean it. The baking soda shouldn't be a problem if properly placed in your checked luggage.

If NCL management could bury their egos and disdain for their guests, they could follow Carnival's example and make a deal with a bottled water supplier. If the local grocers can sell bottled water for $1.99 a case of 24 bottles, NCL could sell the same for $3.99 and make a ton of money plus turn a negative into a positive moneymaker.

Even if they just ran an embarkation day special , or limited it to one case per cabin or even a buy-one , get one " deal" they would still come out ahead in the PR department.

Even if they just ran an embarkation day special , or limited it to one case per cabin or even a buy-one , get one " deal" they would still come out ahead in the PR department.
Why? Just like all the other changes, things have settled down and no one has reported anyone making a huge fuss at embarkation, so it looks like the policy change was an issue for a few.