LIVE and SOLO on the Norwegian Escape: July 31, 2016

Victorious8

The time has FINALLY come! In just a few short hours I will be on my way to SFO for a direct red eye flight in Miami! Although I have always flown in days before cruises I decided this time, since I was by myself, I would just fly in the morning of. It's a direct flight that will get me in around 6am. I am confident that if something wonky happens with my travel plans I will have more than enough time to get it sorted because the Escape leaves.

So a little about myself, you can call me Vic (please don't quote this post because I might want to edit out some identifying information later depending on how this report goes [emoji6]). I just graduated from law school and a master of social work program this past May. A few days ago I took the grueling California bar. This trip is a present to myself for the hard work I have put in over the last 3 years.

I started cruising 6 years ago when my Nana decided that life is short and so why not spend her $$$ on her family. She took 19 of us on a 12 Princess Grand Mediterranean cruise. It was wonderful. My last cruise with my Nana was on a 12 day British Isles shortly before I started law school. That trip was incredible, our family had gotten the hang of cruising and we were THAT family on the boat.

Unfortunately, almost two years ago my Nana was diagnosed with cancer. Despite going on African safaris and hiking Machu Picchu she was apparently very sick. Through it all she had the most incredible attitude, always referring to it as just another adventure.

A little over a year ago I was chatting with her about trips we might take to celebrate my graduation when I was finished taking the bar. This time however she told me that she didn't want to plan anything that far out because she wasn't sure she would make it. I somehow held my tears in while in the car, but as soon as I got my bags and headed into the airport I started hysterically. I knew I probably didn't have much more time with her.

My intuition was correct and a few weeks later I received word that she only had a few hours to live. I was in Iowa for school and frantically tried to get back to California. Luckily for me my Nana was still a fighter and was upbeat as ever when I got there the next morning. I was lucky to be able to spend an entire week with her before having to go back to Iowa to finish law school like she wanted me to. A few weeks later she passed comfortably and on her own terms, the best way I could imagine something that always felt unimaginable to me.

My Nana was my closest friend, and my biggest supporter. She was loud, silly and loved to travel. I wouldn't be where I am without all that she did for me. So while I am "solo" on this trip I know that she is with me. It's with some of the generous gift that she gave me when she passed that I am even able to take this trip. My Nana was one to never give a hoot about what people thought.

0f210015756c715f0d707674a507950f.jpg

This was us on our British Isles cruise in August 2013.

Alight, enough sappy stuff because Nana was never one for tears! So like I said this is my celebration cruise. I tried to plan things with friends but no one ever wanted to commit to a trip. I finally got tired of all of that so I decided just to book something myself. This is my first time on NCL and I basically chose it because of the Studios. However, the more I have learned over the last 8 months the more and more excited I have become!

I plan to spend most of my time on board, I have nothing planned in the ports and there could be a chance I don't even get off at some of them. I do plan to use my UBP to the fullest. The few things for this trip that I have planned are as follows:

1. Get a Vibe pass

2. Win the beer drinking contest in The District aka "home"

3. Relax

That is really about it. I am an extreme extrovert so I don't think meeting people will be much of a problem. I just hope I can stay out of trouble [emoji51]. After the cruise I have four nights in Miami. On August 8th, my birthday the SF Giants will be in town so I am going to at least two games before I fly out. I have a fancy seat right behind home for my birthday where I will get unlimited beer and wine delivered to my seat. More excitingly I will be able to get into the stadium two hours before the game so I can hopefully get autographs and pictures. I'm obsessed with Bruce Bochy:

3d4a73e3dc54522b7f7e6123c6d9ffa9.jpg

I have the unlimited wifi so hopefully this live review is able to happen! I have also decided that I will share my snapchat handle on here for those that use snapchat! As long as the cruise wifi cooperates I have a feeling that might be extra entertaining! Feel free to add me using the info below (again please don't quote so I can edit that out after the cruise). The picture is pretty small so it is hard to see that my screen name is "feltamazing" (it is an old joke and not as weird as it sounds).

021876d7e107f5bdb59298f5feb00048_thumb.jpg

So I think that's it for now! I'm just finishing up packing which has been a struggle since I am a notorious over packer! Thanks for coming along with me on this journey! I promise, it'll be an interesting one!

57a2fed0bda2ba76c61ed49e60dddadc_thumb.jpg

-Vic

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Victorious8

Have a fantastic cruise. I'm also in San Francisco and took the red eye non stop to MIA last November. It went very smoothly. Definitely take a taxi to the port vs. using NCL's shuttle.

The Bruce Bochy photo made me laugh out loud.

Beverly

Have a fantastic cruise. I'm also in San Francisco and took the red eye non stop to MIA last November. It went very smoothly. Definitely take a taxi to the port vs. using NCL's shuttle.

The Bruce Bochy photo made me laugh out loud.

Beverly

Yeah I love him so much! I actually have two "Bochy" jerseys! I got one of them signed earlier in the summer in STL. My friend said that when he saw me he had a look on his face like "oh man it's her again". Can't wait to say hello again in Miami! I hope by then we are out of this slump!

Your first post written was beautiful- I am scheduled to go in mid-December on the ship. Did you keep the studio or try to upgrade?

I had tickets to game 7 of the NLCS in 2010 (PHL vs SF) but SF beat the Phils game 6 :( It was tied 2-2 through the 8th. Game 7th would have been on the eve of my birthday as well!

Your first post written was beautiful- I am scheduled to go in mid-December on the ship. Did you keep the studio or try to upgrade?

I had tickets to game 7 of the NLCS in 2010 (PHL vs SF) but SF beat the Phils game 6 :( It was tied 2-2 through the 8th. Game 7th would have been on the eve of my birthday as well!

Did not try to upgrade! I've only had oceans views and I don't plan to stay in my room at all. Had a friend come with me I would have looked at a balcony.

I went to Game 1 of the NLCS in 2014 in STL. Going to Iowa allowed me to see the Giants all over the Midwest. Always such an adventure (usually by myself). I actually made the Sports Illustrated Instagram during the NLCS:

816fc7c26370378b1c1960c594909b28_thumb.jpg

Love your fun spirit! I am glad you get to celebrate your hard work and your Nana. Keep an eye out for signs that your Nana is with you. That's always fun to hear about! My Mom (she passed 13 years ago) does that ALL of the time when my two sisters and I get together. :)

Have a wonderful time an looking forward to reading more.

I'm also starting to feel anxious for the first time about going alone! Logically I know I'll have a blast but I have all sorts of butterflies! Hopefully some sleep on the plane and a bloody in the morning and I'll have more pep in my step!

I've taken about 5 solo cruises, including one on the Epic, and I LOVE them! NCL also has a little evening social so you have plenty of people to hang out with at dinner, or you can also request a table for one and bring a good book. Looking forward to reading about your experiences. Enjoy!!

I'm also starting to feel anxious for the first time about going alone! Logically I know I'll have a blast but I have all sorts of butterflies! Hopefully some sleep on the plane and a bloody in the morning and I'll have more pep in my step!

As a former Travel Agent I have cruised many times on my own, you will do fine. AND as I am on the same cruise as you, will see you at the Meet n Greet on Monday.

Apparently using the option of "best" with the photos makes them small and blurry. Interesting. Here's my first drink. Starting to prepare for my run of The District. Am I allowed to call in home yet DougOut? I feel like I should wait until I actually go there!

(It's a Almanac Saison Dolores)

dd678162b90fbf8156c23863453e4075.jpg

Edited by Victorious8

Have a good flight and enjoy your trip. If you get a chance to snap a pic of a few dailies this week, myself and everyone else on the Aug 14th 6 day sailing would be very appreciative.

TIA

Have a good flight and enjoy your trip. If you get a chance to snap a pic of a few dailies this week, myself and everyone else on the Aug 14th 6 day sailing would be very appreciative.

TIA

I will definitely try and snap and post the day of. I almost always lose them throughout the day and I definitely will not take the trouble to scan them when I get back.

Also beer has worked to calm anxieties. I am a bit worried that my week of sobriety leading up to the bar exam has lowered my tolerance...

I will definitely try and snap and post the day of. I almost always lose them throughout the day and I definitely will not take the trouble to scan them when I get back

I second Uber, it was less than half of what we paid for a cab on previous trips.

Good idea, snapping a pic rather than carrying the daily around became my go to move a couple cruises ago. I have my phone anyway so the picture just prevents the need to carry around a folded up piece of card stock that inevitably ends up stabbing me in the thigh at some point.