Muster drill needs improvement

Is it me or do the cruise lines need to improve the muster drills as far as wait time to the drill is concerned. My wife and I get to the muster station early so I can lean against the wall due to back problems. I have been on 8 cruises and we have waited anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes before the drill begins. The last drill was 40 minutes in 102 degree heat. One person passed out due to the heat and a few others including myself were hanging on.

We stood out in subfreezing temps and 20 mph winds one time in New Jersey for 35 minutes! The only time there was no hassle was on the Explorer of the Seas. We met in the theater in sections. I may have to do what some have suggested, wait until the last minute and be the last people to the drill.

They've streamlined the process considerably in the last few years. There's only so much they can do to get 1000's of passengers to move. If you have a medical issue, you can always ask a crew member if you are able to sit for a time before going. I really don't think they can improve it otherwise.

Generally the holdups are due to the pax themselves not showing up where they are supposed to be. Believe me, I can see the looks the stragglers are given when they finally show up, especially if they have drinks in hand.

As was already said, the newer ships have more indoor areas that can be used for muster which definitely helps. Looking at the size of the lifeboat decks on Oasis compared to older ships, you can see that it was designed with inside muster in mind. So things are improving with time.

The newer ships like Oasis and Allure don't make you wear the life jacket, and you just meet in a lounge to watch a short video.

All RCI ships have not required you to bring a life jacket for the last 5 years and you can't show up anywhere you want for muster, you HAVE to go to your assigned muster station. On Oasis we had to meet in the ship's gym to watch the video. On Quantum we were lucky to be assigned to the theatre (many muster stations in there!), others were not so lucky. On the smaller ships, the muster stations are on the Promenade deck. I've only had Boleros assigned as my muster station twice in my 41 cruises with Royal Caribbean.

Generally the holdups are due to the pax themselves not showing up where they are supposed to be. Believe me, I can see the looks the stragglers are given when they finally show up, especially if they have drinks in hand.

As was already said, the newer ships have more indoor areas that can be used for muster which definitely helps. Looking at the size of the lifeboat decks on Oasis compared to older ships, you can see that it was designed with inside muster in mind. So things are improving with time.

This is what really gets me. So inconsiderate. And they will get a nasty look from me. Agree that they are trying to streamline the muster process.

I am just happy we have not had to wear those hot, stinky, and bulky life jackets to the drill over the last few years.

RCI learned their lesson when several incidents of pax tripped down the stair wells when they stepped on those dragging, trailing straps.

Muster, or safety drill is there for your...............safety.

Everyone needs to go.

Everyone needs to go at the correct time.

Everyone needs to go to the correct place.

Not taking the life jackets is "convenient" but also slightly diminishes safety, in case of a true emergency.

People are ALWAYS the problem when the muster is elongated.

On my last cruise, Captain Thore angrily announced about 15 minutes after the drill had supposedly started, that he was waiting until ALL of the passengers showed up, as his crew had informed him of many missing passengers.

On my last cruise, Captain Thore angrily announced about 15 minutes after the drill had supposedly started, that he was waiting until ALL of the passengers showed up, as his crew had informed him of many missing passengers.

It will never happen in the "make the customer happy" culture of the cruise industry, but I would LOVE for there to be a penalty for not being at muster at the appropriate time.

It could be a contract that everyone has to sign at check-in: "I acknowledge that the muster drill will be held at <time> and I am responsible for being at muster station <number> no later than <time plus five minutes>. It is my responsibility to locate my muster station prior to the drill and ascertain how much time it will take for me (and any minor children in my care) to arrive there at the designated time. Failure to be checked in at my muster station by <time plus five minutes> can result in a $100 fine and will require me to attend a separate muster drill, even if it conflicts with dining, entertainment, spa services, or any other event that I may have previously scheduled."

Another possible solution would be to charge every person a $100 deposit at check-in, and it will be refunded to their onboard account (and refundable at the end of the cruise if not used) when their card gets swiped ON-TIME at the muster station. Show up late, the money stays with RCI as pure profit.

Until it AFFECTS THEM PERSONALLY, people will continue to be rude bungholes.

I know we'll never see this, but it would be nice!

It will never happen in the "make the customer happy" culture of the cruise industry, but I would LOVE for there to be a penalty for not being at muster at the appropriate time.

I'd be okay with this, and I agree it would help get people these on time.

It makes me wonder though, does anyone go to their muster station early?

If you walk into the theatre 45 minutes ahead of show time there's already quite a few people there. Does anyone do that for the muster drill?

Personally, I'm not thrilled about streamlined, more convenient, dumbed down muster drills that take place in lounges.

I've attended 40+ drills, most when they were held out on deck at the actual lifeboat stations and everyone had to properly don a lifejacket. Thanks to those, I feel as if I know exactly what to do in an emergency, even if the ship I'm on does a lousy, half-ass drill.

On the SS Norway, at one drill they even told us the proper way to jump overboard! :eek: (Hold onto your lifejacket with one hand, hold your nose with the other, and step off the side straight down. Don't attempt a dive.)

But what about all the first-time cruisers who get the Cliff Notes drill? I don't think they learn how to save themselves. They might become a lethal bottleneck for others when they're wandering around clueless in chaos.

After Costa Concordia, I'm frankly stunned that the cruise lines have taken such a cavalier attitude toward muster drills. They should be MORE strict, not less.

And those who treat it as a big joke, show up late with drinks in their hands, talk through it, etc., should get all the dirty looks we can "muster," get their cabin numbers recorded by crew, and then receive a summons to another remedial drill conducted by captain personally.

the muster drills are WAY much better than years ago! Used to be 45 mins to an hour......These are only 10 mins on the last 15 or so cruises! Also no life jackets needed. People just need to get to their stations and check in so we can keep it moving along! No complaints here! :D

The later you arrive, the less time you have to spend standing around waiting on late arrivals. It's really a self-perpetuating problem. The only solution would be for all passengers to have to spend the same amount of time at the muster station regardless of when they arrive for the drill. So, if the last straggler doesn't arrive until 40 minutes after the appointed drill time, then everyone is required to wait there for 40 minutes. Those who arrived on time would leave, then they would start filtering out everyone else once their 40 minutes of standing around had expired. That would quite likely solve the problem. :)

I'd be okay with this, and I agree it would help get people these on time.

It makes me wonder though, does anyone go to their muster station early?

If you walk into the theatre 45 minutes ahead of show time there's already quite a few people there. Does anyone do that for the muster drill?

I can't speak for RCI, as we've just booked our first cruise with them, but on other lines we've sailed they ask passengers NOT to go to their muster stations ahead of time but to wait for the ship's signal to do so.

Is it me or do the cruise lines need to improve the muster drills as far as wait time to the drill is concerned. My wife and I get to the muster station early so I can lean against the wall due to back problems. I have been on 8 cruises and we have waited anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes before the drill begins. The last drill was 40 minutes in 102 degree heat. One person passed out due to the heat and a few others including myself were hanging on.

We stood out in subfreezing temps and 20 mph winds one time in New Jersey for 35 minutes! The only time there was no hassle was on the Explorer of the Seas. We met in the theater in sections. I may have to do what some have suggested, wait until the last minute and be the last people to the drill.

the wait is entirely the fault of your fellow pax who cannot be bothered to show up on time.

we now find the closest indoor lounge to the muster station and wait until 5 minutes out before going to check in

Was on the Carnival Splendor in June. During the muster drill they kept repeating over the intercom that they wouldn't start until EVERYONE was quiet. Kinda felt like I was in school again ;)

On the Explorer last year and the Norwegian Breakaway this year it was very simple. Meet in your designated area, listen for a few minutes, then you're good to go.

I remember back in 2003 on the Celebrity Galaxy we were told to wear our life jackets; but we didn't have to go outside to the lifeboats because it was raining. For the "convenience for the passengers." The good ole days! ;)

It has crossed my mind though, that there has to be people who didn't learn a thing from the muster drill.

It could be a contract that everyone has to sign at check-in: "I acknowledge that the muster drill will be held at <time> and I am responsible for being at muster station <number> no later than <time plus five minutes>. It is my responsibility to locate my muster station prior to the drill and ascertain how much time it will take for me (and any minor children in my care) to arrive there at the designated time. Failure to be checked in at my muster station by <time plus five minutes> can result in a $100 fine and will require me to attend a separate muster drill, even if it conflicts with dining, entertainment, spa services, or any other event that I may have previously scheduled."

Another possible solution would be to charge every person a $100 deposit at check-in, and it will be refunded to their onboard account (and refundable at the end of the cruise if not used) when their card gets swiped ON-TIME at the muster station. Show up late, the money stays with RCI as pure profit.

Until it AFFECTS THEM PERSONALLY, people will continue to be rude bungholes.

I know we'll never see this, but it would be nice!

No way can I endorse that.

I can assure you that I have NEVER skipped a muster. It wouldn't even occur to me. Every cruise, off I trot.

Yet I have FOUR times received a notice in my cabin, chastising me for not attending the drill. Three of those four times, the "check-in" was done with an electronic scanner, and I heard the affirmative "beep."

Edited by Merion_Mom

No need to take life vests, chances are in a real emergency you will not have time to go to your cabin to retrieve. This is why there are plenty of life vests at the muster station. Also in a real emergency, there is a good possibility your assigned muster station may not be accessible.

Lots of variables at play in a real emergency which requires abandoning the ship. The most important take away's are knowing how to put a life vest on, knowing not to panic, knowing to follow instructions.

If you actually have to jump into the water....the best advice is to get as far away from the ship as possible. If it indeed the vessel does sink....a good part of the radius surrounding the vessel will go down with it.

the muster drills are WAY much better than years ago! Used to be 45 mins to an hour......These are only 10 mins on the last 15 or so cruises! Also no life jackets needed. People just need to get to their stations and check in so we can keep it moving along! No complaints here! :D

don't know what ships you've been on but in all of my cruises, never more than 1/2 hr, ever. Average 20 minutes or less from time of arrival to dismissal

We do show up a few minutes early so I can get the wall. I have purchased a camp chair for the next cruise. I plan to sit in it until the drill starts. I sail mostly on the Grandeur and know they have enough inside spaces to hold the muster. Even if the inside muster was done in cold or extreme hot weather, it would be helpful. I like the $100 surcharge for showinf you 5 minutes late!

I don't think anyone is stating we don't need the drill. We are saying that people should not have to stand out in freezing cold, 100 degree heat or 30 mph winds for 30 to 40 minutes over the scheduled time because of the inconsideration of others.

IWe are saying that people should not have to stand out in freezing cold, 100 degree heat or 30 mph winds for 30 to 40 minutes over the scheduled time because of the inconsideration of others.

For this reason, I do not rush down to the muster station. I wait until the alarm goes off and then make my way down.