Confiscation of travel steamer?

I always take a tiny travel steamer (not an iron, no exposed heating element) with me on my cruises. I have never had a problem with it being taken away. However I have heard Royal is more strict (it will be my first Royal cruise) with things on their banned list. Anyone with experience in this type of situation? And if something is confiscated do you get it back later when you leave?

I always take a tiny travel steamer (not an iron, no exposed heating element) with me on my cruises. I have never had a problem with it being taken away. However I have heard Royal is more strict (it will be my first Royal cruise) with things on their banned list. Anyone with experience in this type of situation? And if something is confiscated do you get it back later when you leave?

I take one on every cruise and have never had it taken.

We've had it taken once out of about 20 cruises. You get it back at the end of the cruise.

I have heard that as long as it's just plastic with no metal facing, that it's OK. Our granddaughter has a flat iron that she will take, and it's huge - the "blades" are about 3" wide an 6" long. It really could be used as an iron. I hope it makes it through the luggage check - she'll be mortified if she can't straighten her hair for evening activities.

I have heard that as long as it's just plastic with no metal facing, that it's OK. Our granddaughter has a flat iron that she will take, and it's huge - the "blades" are about 3" wide an 6" long. It really could be used as an iron. I hope it makes it through the luggage check - she'll be mortified if she can't straighten her hair for evening activities.

My DD, teenager, took her hair straightener in her packed luggage and didn't get her bag till 2200hrs the first night. I believe they are allowed, however, I suggest putting it in her carry on. I have not tried "ironing" with it, but now that you mention it.... ;-)

If it LOOKS like an iron, it will be taken. Unless you know how to pack and hide it well!

I don't suppose you would say how to go about that? My DD's hair straightener was not confiscated, however, it delayed the arrival of her bag and we had to go chasing after it.

We are currently on the Explorer Southampton to Barcelona my DH Skhean Dhu sp? ( blunt ornamental dagger ) part of his highland outfit was confiscated at embarkation it was not even allowed on the ship and as we are not travelling back to Southampton he will have to contact port authorities when we return home and pay to have it sent on to him I am not even sure if it can be sent through the mail

We are currently on the Explorer Southampton to Barcelona my DH Skhean Dhu sp? ( blunt ornamental dagger ) part of his highland outfit was confiscated at embarkation it was not even allowed on the ship and as we are not travelling back to Southampton he will have to contact port authorities when we return home and pay to have it sent on to him I am not even sure if it can be sent through the mail

I know this is off track tartantiara but my email to the concierge on Explorer has gone unanswered so, I hope you don't mind if I ask you.

Is explorer still offering the WOW 3 restaurants $45 package?

thanks

My travel steamer has never been taken. It's a wand style with no metal, so perhaps looks like a straightener to someone who doesn't know better. In any case, I put it in my checked luggage, wind the cord around the handle part of the steamer, then coil one of DH's belts around it and place it in or near his shoes in the suitcase.

My travel steamer has never been taken. It's a wand style with no metal, so perhaps looks like a straightener to someone who doesn't know better. In any case, I put it in my checked luggage, wind the cord around the handle part of the steamer, then coil one of DH's belts around it and place it in or near his shoes in the suitcase.

Good idea, we will have to find one of those wand style steamers.

Was somewhat surprised by the responses here as sister line--Celebrity--does prohibit taking travel steamers aboard and is quite strict [which is not to say that some don't slip through] in enforcement...

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the related Royal Caribbean FAQ and--at least on paper--they prohibit travel steamers too... The following addresses the matter and specifically addresses an exemption for hair straighteners...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Was somewhat surprised by the responses here as sister line--Celebrity--does prohibit taking travel steamers aboard and is quite strict [which is not to say that some don't slip through] in enforcement...

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the related Royal Caribbean FAQ and--at least on paper--they prohibit travel steamers too... The following addresses the matter and specifically addresses an exemption for hair straighteners...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

There are a lot of things on paper that is rarely enforced.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll try to disguise it suggested by taking it apart into two pieces so it looks like a mug. I think it's funny that hair straighteners are allowed but clothes steamers aren't. Isn't it obvious that if you need your hair to look good, you also need your clothes to look good! Lolz. :)

As always, I'm late to the party! Just off Freedom this past Sunday. Had to take a trip to "The Naughty Room"-- steamer! One piece, wand type with plastic covered metal plate. First time, no problem, this time..not so lucky. That's ok though, yall introduced me to Downy Wrinkle Release [emoji6]!

Re getting it back--actually I was ready to write it off, they said I had to call on last day (exit day) and they would tell me what to do. I had already decided it wasn't worth my time-- anyway, when DH and I exited the building into the parking deck, he looked over and there was a desk with "Confiscated Items". I had already tossed my Claim Ticket, however, with proper ID, I was able to retrieve my steamer!

Hope this helps!

Happy Cruising [emoji568]

My husband never takes his on a cruise. And his sporren sp? Is horse hair if he is asked. Lol.

^ This is the only answer that really matters. Is it allowed? No. The rest of the answers just show they either RC doesn't always worry about it, or they are hard to spot in the luggage scanner.

So bottom line, you can try and bring it, but don't complain if they take it away.

I took my flat iron on my cruise last month. Luggage arrived at a reasonable time (before 2 PM) and was not hidden in any way - buried in clothes but......

• 5 weeks later...