Captains Table

angelina

Noticed this mentioned a few time on the boards and even though I've been on a few Princess cruises, I didn't know what this was. Can someone explain what it is? Going on the Ruby in March and thought since people keep mentioning it, might be something fun to try.

Noticed this mentioned a few time on the boards and even though I've been on a few Princess cruises, I didn't know what this was. Can someone explain what it is? Going on the Ruby in March and thought since people keep mentioning it, might be something fun to try.

You are probably referring to the Chef's Table.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=928036#post18217437 post #38

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=956179 post #1

From the 1st Patter on a recent cruise:

AN EVENING AT THE CHEF'S TABLE "Join our Executive Chef at the Chef's Table for an unforgettable experience - Executive Chef Christophe Belin offers a brilliant insight into the workings of the most dynamic, fine dining experience on the seven seas; French champagne and hors d'oeurves at a hot spot in the galley during "rush" hour, follwed by a multi-course tasting menu at the V.I.P. Chef's table in the dining room - A must for the culinary connoisseur. $75 per person including wine pairing. For reservations, please call the Dining Hotline, #6219."

If you really mean the Captain's Table, that is th table where the Captain eats dinner. In the past the Captain ate in the main dining room most evenings, today it is rare to see most Captains there. When he does eat in the dining room he invites some passengers to join him.

Did this on the Ruby this week. They apparently had 3 chef's tables this week and still ended up turning away more than 2 dozen people.

We had 4 appetizers in the kitchen along with champange, then were seated in one of the dining rooms for a risotto course, a sherbert course, a main entree (of lobster tail, scallops, fillet mignon, and rack of lamb), followed by a cheese course and then a dessert. White wine was served with risotto, red wine with entree, and a dessert wine at the end. All the ladies received a single red rose and then signed copies of the Princess cook book were handed out (one copy per married couple, while two friends travelling together got their own copies.) A group picture was then taken with the Chef and the Maitre d', and we were told copies of them would be sent complimentary to our cabins.

Took a total of 3.5, almost 4 hours, simply marvelous. I highly recommend it.

Archived