Shorts in the dining room

KCI

We sail on Feb 26 aboard Island Princess to the Panama Canal. Never sailed Princess before. Can men wear nice dress shorts and shirt in the main dining room? Thanks.

NEVER for dinner. I think it's okay for breakfast and lunch. It is ok for tea time.

Shorts are perfectly fine for the MDR (Main Dining Room) for breakfast and lunch. That's what we normally wear.

Dinner: No! Long pants will be needed.

Some seem to actually enjoy eating in the Buffet and not because of being able to wear shorts ... just because they like doing it better. We met a super nice couple recently who either had dinner at a $peciality restaurant (long pants needed) or the Buffet every night. When they came to the bar for pre dinner drinks, everyone would always know to which they were going by if he had on long pants or shorts ... and we'd joke with them about it. Another nice couple always "dressed" for dinner but always ate at the Buffet because they liked doing it better.

Do what suits you and have a WONDERFUL cruise!

LuLu

~~~~

No matter how many times you ask it, its still no at dinner! :p
This is one of those cases where the answer never changes or varies: no shorts, whether "dress" or not, at dinner in the dining room. You'll be turned away and asked to change. Same for the specialty restaurants. If you want to wear shorts, the Grill will be open as well as the buffet.

I did it once in close to 20 cruises and got away with it.(only because I had a migraine and just couldn't change)Nothing was said,possibly because I got in so fast and table cloth hid the shorts.I wouldn't try it again.

This is one of those cases where the answer never changes or varies: no shorts, whether "dress" or not, at dinner in the dining room. You'll be turned away and asked to change. Same for the specialty restaurants. If you want to wear shorts, the Grill will be open as well as the buffet.

First night on board you will be able to wear shorts as many people have not had their luggage delivered. We actually did see someone turned away for wearing shorts on a non-formal night.

First night on board you will be able to wear shorts as many people have not had their luggage delivered.
That's interesting because ever since Princess initiated the paper luggage tags that you print off several years ago, my luggage has arrived before or during Muster on every single cruise. One time, it arrived fifteen minutes after I boarded and got to my cabin. I think "late" luggage is either an excuse or not as usual as it used to be.

That's interesting because ever since Princess initiated the paper luggage tags that you print off several years ago, my luggage has arrived before or during Muster on every single cruise. One time, it arrived fifteen minutes after I boarded and got to my cabin. I think "late" luggage is either an excuse or not as usual as it used to be.

And how difficult is it to pack a pair of slacks and a polo shirt in your carryon?

We always pack a change of clothes whether flying or cruising because you never know what could happen to your luggage.

We were stranded overnight without luggage once when all the airports up and down the East Coast were shut down due to thunderstorms. Luckily, we were in Pittsburgh and they have a mall inside the airport so we went from shop to shop buying underwear, pj's, shirts and toiletries before heading to a hotel for the night. We never travel without a full change of clothes and necessary toiletries in the carryon after that episode.

The latest we ever got luggage was at 7pm on a RCI cruise and that was because they had problems with the luggage scanners. Some passengers did not get it until the next morning. Our Suite Attendant went down to deck 1 and found our luggage for us and brought it up. I just loved that guy!

Normally we have it before we ever sail and I am usually unpacked and have the luggage stowed away before the muster drill.

We always choose late dining so we have time to shower and change before dinner, even on the first night.

Make it capris instead of bermuda shorts...

I'm new to cruising and I've only gone on one Carnival cruise, so I'd appreciate it if people don't get angry at me for asking this.

Why are capris acceptable, and I assume skirts that show your knees are acceptable (the same hemline that bermuda shorts would be at, for example), but bermuda shorts aren't? It all seems rather arbitrary.

Archived