Rome to Venice, question for ladies

MillieRyan08

Greetings,

We too are going on the Rome to Venice cruise on 23rd July. I booked more than a year ago and now finally, it's this Year! Mentally, I am already packing, and I am still a bit confused about dress. I realize it's smart casual, and I have trawled through all the reviews and photos looking at specifically, what the ladies are wearing. Some appear casual, and yet others have all the bling. And Shoes! I see heels on some, maybe most? I'm just not sure if I need heels, or say, blingy flat sandals? This is probably a very trivial question to most, but I do want to fit in. We will are traveling for a month so the cruise is just a portion. Obviously I can't bring everything, so my husband tells me.

Looking for really good info here.

Cheers, and thanks, Millie

Edited by MillieRyan08

SeaDream is pretty casual, though the European voyages are a little dressier than the Caribbean cruises. You'll want to dress nicely for dinner, but otherwise you can dress for your comfort. That's one of the things my husband likes about SeaDream. They don't really tell you what you have to wear. I wouldn't bother with heels at all, unless you want to wear them. Remember, there is no elevator to the TOY bar. :)

Millie, regarding dress, you're going to see everything. So whatever you decide to do, you'll fit in. I generally wear for dinner what I would wear at home when dining in a nice restaurant. I find the bling absolutely lovely when someone else is wearing it, but don't bring any myself because there's no more room in the luggage. Somehow we get on SD with an awful lot of luggage. I don't know how it happens, but it does every time.

I wear heels when dining in the dining room. Sometimes I also wear them in the evening when dining on deck, but in truth they really are an annoyance then.

You have a wonderful itinerary and I wish you the best voyage. Looking forward to your review and hearing all about it.

Zimmy

Thanks so much Zimmy and Knotheadusc for the dress code tips! I will just do as you say and take what I would wear out for dinner at home, perhaps minus the heels, and only because they just take up too much room. Do you ladies wear a different outfit every night? Or can I assume that noone really takes notice?

This is a long awaited cruise and I don't know how I have waited this long. Husband still not keen but as this is more like a yacht I'm sure he will absolutely love it. And the itinerary to me looks awesome!

Thanks once again

Edited by MillieRyan08
More information

Thanks so much Zimmy and Knotheadusc for the dress code tips! I will just do as you say and take what I would wear out for dinner at home, perhaps minus the heels, and only because they just take up too much room. Do you ladies wear a different outfit every night? Or can I assume that noone really takes notice?

This is a long awaited cruise and I don't know how I have waited this long. Husband still not keen but as this is more like a yacht I'm sure he will absolutely love it. And the itinerary to me looks awesome!

Thanks once again

What does Hubby like to do?

Hello Jim,

I love reading idle jottings, I'm addicted, it's like a soap! The banter is so much insightful and fun! I'm waiting with baited breath to see the BBC documentary, true! I hope the viewing time will be announced.

My husband likes to eat good food, drink nice wine, and he loves a chat, more so than me. He likes walking and golf! I'm figuring Seadream will fit the bill very nicely. He has got this idea in his head that cruises, generally, are for older retired people. Having said that because I was insistent on doing a cruise, he came up with Seadream.

Cheers Millie

Millie, your DH sounds like the perfect SeaDreamer. Plenty of good food and wine, and lots of interesting people with whom he can chat. Well, not lots of people by mass market cruise standards, but just enough to make the trip interesting. An outgoing personality is well-suited for SD. We've done a number of cruises on other lines, but SD is the only line on which we have made lasting friends. And he can play golf right on the ship. Granted, he won't get much walking done on the "course," but golf is a good walk spoiled anyway. There may be a number of retired people, but they sure aren't elderly. And there are a number of us who still go to work every morning so we can pay for this luxury. You will enjoy.

Zimmy's DH

(By the way, Zimmy really does know why we end up with so much luggage. She just won't admit it is all hers. On this month's cruise, we even came home with one more suitcase than we had when we boarded. But she does look good.)

Millie, you've gotten some great advice! I never wear heels and take just one or two pairs of flats. I wear pants and a dressy top and may repeat them! On our last cruise, I think I had three pairs of black pants and two or three of white (it was the Caribbean, after all) and several mix-and-match tops. Worked just fine.

Enjoy and we'll look forward to your review!

Vandrefalk

Millie, you've gotten some great advice! I never wear heels and take just one or two pairs of flats. I wear pants and a dressy top and may repeat them! On our last cruise, I think I had three pairs of black pants and two or three of white (it was the Caribbean, after all) and several mix-and-match tops. Worked just fine.

Enjoy and we'll look forward to your review!

Vandrefalk

Aha! I knew I had seen those black pants more than once.:eek::eek: Says the guy that only took one pair of non flip flop shoes.....:D:D

Thanks Vandrefalk, that is exactly the advice I was looking for. I do tend to overthink things and you have summed it up for me brilliantly. Putting all of the advice together, I think I can now pack with confidence!

Now without wishing the time away, I can't wait till I board.

Cheers, Millie