Any Buddies on SD1 - NCE Roundtirp May 22, 2016?

ganttc

Ted and Gantt from Atlanta on board. Rumor there is a group on board? That might prove interesting. Last that happened with us it certainly changed the on board dynamics. We will be ready for SD relaxin' after a few nights in Jordan (yep, we're going!)

We will be on board with you departing Nice on May 22. We are just the two of us but I seem to recall SD shoreside advising when asked that there will be rather large two groups which if I recall correctly together make up over half the yacht. I will double check the email traffic and correct that information if the old memory failed me! We look forward to meeting you.

Checked my emails and at least as of January, there are to be three groups on board: one of 16 rooms, a second of 11 and the third of 5. No kids as of that report from SD shoreside. They again assured all will be treated equally. Like you, we have had problems with groups in the past. Thankfully this will be our 11th voyage so we know the staff well and while I'm generally a very nice guy, no one should be bashful about seeking to quickly address any concerns. Hey we can all form our own non-group group and take it from there. Any one else on this voyage? This is the earliest in the year we have booked a European voyage. Anyone else who has already been in and around Nice in late May please advise about weather, could be on the cool side right? As in upper 60s/low 70s for highs?

I am sure Zimmy will be doing a thorough weather forecast for the area before we start to pack next week. I will have her share it on this thread.

My preference would be not to travel with such large groups, and while I know that it is selfish, I hope they are first boarding in Nice. We are meeting another couple in Barcelona whom we first met on SD, so we will have our own group of four, which makes it a bit better.

I am curious what crew members will be there since we haven't been on SD1 in a couple of years. (How else were we going to meet ho-hum and Blondie?) I suspect Doramas won't be on board, and we will truly miss him. We also heard Rutzie is now working full time in the music biz. If anyone who did the crossing on SD1, or will be on the Lisbon to Barcelona, knows who is working, we'd appreciate a heads-up.

• 3 weeks later...

We are starting to pack ... OK just negotiating space in the luggage and what to bring ... But looking forward to departing DC this Thursday bound for Nice, boarding SD1 on Sunday afternoon. Temps are warming up and skies are getting sunnier per the latest forecasts. If anyone now on board or was last week would care to comment on SD1 following the recent dry dock, that would be most helpful and of great interest.

JES4845, The ship is as beautiful as ever. Probably has some new carpeting, but nothing is noticeably changed. Everything is working just fine and there is no sign of workmen still being on board. Our weather, once we left Paris, has been great. Sunny and not too hot. Some folks have used the jet skis, but we haven't seen anyone swimming in the Med. Today we are St. Tropez and will be dining on deck. Oh, there are new bikes, but we had to overhear that. Couldn't prove it by us.

We are at the Paris Airport Hilton waiting for our flight home tomorrow. The yacht looks beautiful, the staff as always are wonderful, and I hope that the weather we had on this voyage continues for you. Enjoy, Gantt and Ted.

• 3 weeks later...