The future fleet/mid-size ships

Monorail Orange

It seems that these days the trend is for newer ships to be on the larger size. I doubt they'll expand the fleet again, with new ships really only replacements. (And I don't think they'll replace the Adonia whilst she's on her 'gap year').

What I'm getting as is, will we see any mid-sized ships again? If the replace Oriana, will she be the same size? And would she remain adults-only?

Peronsally I think they should have built a sister for Arcadia (call her Artemis or something).

I appriciate that these larger ships are the cash-cows for cruise companies now, but they're not to everyones tastes.

Or is it just a case of (to quote Walter Cronkite) 'that's the way it is' ?

Just off Royal Princess last weekend after two great weeks. It's our best cruise so far.

I'd honestly be bored on a ship the size of Oceana now.

Even on embark and disembark days the speed passengers got on and off was brilliant for a ship of its size. Far better than when we sailed on Britannia last year from/to Southampton.

Food and service was the best we've ever had too.

Mid sized ships are probably not cost effective as new builds, at least as far as middle market cruise lines are concerned. Of course premium lines can build smaller ships because they can charge premium prices. Did I read somewhere that it is likely that P&O's next newbuild will be similar to Britannia?

Mid sized ships are probably not cost effective as new builds, at least as far as middle market cruise lines are concerned. Of course premium lines can build smaller ships because they can charge premium prices. Did I read somewhere that it is likely that P&O's next newbuild will be similar to Britannia?

P&O don't appear to have any future builds in the pipeline unless Carnival Corp decides to change one of the 3 new Royal class Princess builds over to P&O. Looking at this link the future is bigger apart from the Virgin cruise ships coming in at 110,000 tons, but they are a new line obviously. The list currently goes up to 2024 which would mean some very old ships being in the P&O fleet if not retired.

I'm intrigued by Virgin joining the fray, wonder what demographic they are looking at?

I have heard rumours of P&O holding an option to build a mid-size ship.

I sincerely hope it is true as after a trial cruise on Royal Princess the big ships do not suit me at all. Too impersonal, noisy and busy.

Edited by Host Sharon

I sincerely hope it is true as after a trial cruise on Royal Princess the big ships do not suit me at all. Too impersonal, noisy and busy.

Glad I'm not the only one in thinking that. :)

I'm sure these big ships are fine, but its not to everyone's tastes. Just the same as, Adonia for example, probably wouldn't suit someone who loves the Azura/Ventura or Britannia.

Cruise ships have always got larger and larger, this is not a recent trend. Some cruise lines I believe are now thinking the popularity level has been reached and whilst looking at future big ships they have come to the conclusion mid sized ships are easier to market. Some ships are not going to be suitable for world cruises, so fleet deployment in the winter could be an issue.

Regards John

They could of course get another HAL build. Just seen the Koningsdam in the Tyne. At 99,000 tons not small ship but not one of the giants. It would make since to have a follow on design.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Those off us old enough can move to Saga's new ship in 2019:

Carrying fewer than 1000 passengers, she will retain the intimacy and personal service for which we are renowned. There will also be single-sitting dining in a choice of speciality restaurants, a selection of bars, indoor and outdoor pools, a spa, fabulous library, signature Britannia Lounge and much more – all with a fresh and contemporary twist on the traditions of classic Saga cruising.

Somebody thinks there is a future for new build smaller ships!

^I wouldn't be surprised. People rave about Britannia, so the company is bound to try and replicate it.

Do they really?!? More like a shopping centre to us. Small cabins smaller balconies a real disappointment and we like big ships.

Do they really?!? More like a shopping centre to us. Small cabins smaller balconies a real disappointment and we like big ships.

Yes they do as it happens but being P&O there are always those who find some problems.

HAL is only middle market line and they still build midsize ships.

If you consider 99,000 tons and 2650 passengers mid sized ;)

I was thinking more like 1500 passengers

Problem with that is it would be a one off new build. Most new ships now have to be one of a class of ships as you save lots of money on the design and time as well. That why I suggested the HAL ship as a compromise.

They could of course get another HAL build. Just seen the Koningsdam in the Tyne. At 99,000 tons not small ship but not one of the giants. It would make since to have a follow on design.

There is only one HAL in the list and its a sister to Koningsdam, due to complete 2018 which is probably a bit far down the line to change to P&O.

There is only one HAL in the list and its a sister to Koningsdam, due to complete 2018 which is probably a bit far down the line to change to P&O.

No that could be about right ready for 2019. Not going to get anything before that?

Of course this is all speculation.

Oriana, as the oldest in P&O Fleet, is due a refit this December which should keep her going until 2021 (refits ever 5 years). It may be she is replaced then!.

Yes that is my best guess.

Yes they do as it happens but being P&O there are always those who find some problems.

Dai, on this site, from 450 reviews Britannia gets 53% satisfaction . Not exactly overwhelming reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I started cruising in the mid 1990s the typical cruise ship displaced between 25k and 30k tonnes and carried between 600 and 800 passengers. The 49K Canberra was huge - the great white whale - and the 70K QE2 enormous, nearly as big as the legendary Queen Mary. It is strange to think that the latter, at 81K tonnes and carrying up to 2139 passengers, would now be classed as amid size ship.

Dai, on this site, from 450 reviews Britannia gets 53% satisfaction . Not exactly overwhelming reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reviews on here are of little value as people can post any old rubbish with no come back.

This list is a bit more up to date than the Cruise Critic one

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/cruise-ship-orderbook.html

No that could be about right ready for 2019. Not going to get anything before that?

Of course this is all speculation.

Its not speculation these are on the order books.

The Nieuw Statendam is being delivered November 2018.

Interestingly there is a P&O Australia build on there for 2019 based on Carnival Vista class which has a central staircase and a lovely wide promenade deck.

Nothing for P&O.

Edited by CCFC

This list is a bit more up to date than the Cruise Critic one

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/cruise-ship-orderbook.html

Its not speculation these are on the order books.

The Nieuw Statendam is being delivered November 2018.

Interestingly there is a P&O Australia build on there for 2019 based on Carnival Vista class which has a central staircase and a lovely wide promenade deck.

Nothing for P&O.

And the only small to mid size ships are Virgin.