Internet Packages

esm54687

Hi

My wife and I are traveling on the NCL Dawn in June. I was wondering if the Unlimited Internet Plan ($175) was the better deal. We both have smart phones and are Twitter, Instagram and Facebook users. Is the Unlimited plan per cabin or per person?

Thank you

Scott

If you plan to be on a little bit or more I would definitely say this is the way to go. Although the price is $175, if you wait until the second day, I believe before noon, you get it for a little cheaper. You can use it on any device and share it, but only one can be on at a time.

It takes the pressure off, that's for sure. You don't worry about the lag time logging on and logging off.

With the unlimited wifi would I be able to send iMessages from one iPhone to another iPhone? Both onboard and to phones inland? Plus has anyone tried to FaceTime through the wifi connection. My mother is ill and I would like to keep in close contact.

With the unlimited wifi would I be able to send iMessages from one iPhone to another iPhone? Both onboard and to phones inland? Plus has anyone tried to FaceTime through the wifi connection. My mother is ill and I would like to keep in close contact.

As some one said only one device at a time is allowed to be connected. If you buy two plans you'll be OK.

If you plan to be on a little bit or more I would definitely say this is the way to go. Although the price is $175, if you wait until the second day, I believe before noon, you get it for a little cheaper. You can use it on any device and share it, but only one can be on at a time.

It takes the pressure off, that's for sure. You don't worry about the lag time logging on and logging off.

The pricing the second day starts AFTER noon until that night, not sure what time. I bought unlimited at 1pm second day and it was $149.94 for the remaining 6 days. A bargain imo. Usage was good until noon of disembarkation day.

Edited by NMLady

Facetime over ship's satellite internet plan was reliable enough to not drop the connections on the Gateaway earlier this month (same as the Breakaway) - keep in mind the latency & limitations of a satellite relayed connections as the bandwidth requirement is higher for the video links - especially when the ship is at sea, moving at 16 or 17 to 21 or 22 nautical miles per hour in the middle of the ocean. Our SIL had regular contacts with her grandchildren daily while they're at sea on the GA by FT'ing on the iPad.

The Dawn's satellite WiFi connections are apparently good enough, based on recent live updates & reports while at sea - and, once at Bermuda, paid WiFi is available on the pier with the purchased of a daily unlimited pass (however, signal or coverage is said to be inadequate on the ship) - keep that in mind as backup to stay in touch with family members in frail health, etc.

The pricing the second day starts AFTER noon until that night, not sure what time. I bought unlimited at 1pm second day and it was $149.94 for the remaining 6 days. A bargain imo. Usage was good until noon of disembarkation day.

Ah, yes. Thank you. That is exactly what I did the first week the unlimited was offered on the Jewel 4/4/15. Momentary lapse of memory.

Facetime over ship's satellite internet plan was reliable enough to not drop the connections on the Gateaway earlier this month (same as the Breakaway) - keep in mind the latency & limitations of a satellite relayed connections as the bandwidth requirement is higher for the video links - especially when the ship is at sea, moving at 16 or 17 to 21 or 22 nautical miles per hour in the middle of the ocean. Our SIL had regular contacts with her grandchildren daily while they're at sea on the GA by FT'ing on the iPad.

The Dawn's satellite WiFi connections are apparently good enough, based on recent live updates & reports while at sea - and, once at Bermuda, paid WiFi is available on the pier with the purchased of a daily unlimited pass (however, signal or coverage is said to be inadequate on the ship) - keep that in mind as backup to stay in touch with family members in frail health, etc.

Please pardon my confusion as my tech knowledge is limited to the basics -but are you saying that the ships internet package will not work when we are docked? I was planning to purchase it for our upcoming Dawn to Bermuda.

Please pardon my confusion as my tech knowledge is limited to the basics -but are you saying that the ships internet package will not work when we are docked? I was planning to purchase it for our upcoming Dawn to Bermuda.

Unless NCL is doing somiething like turning it off (I doubt) it will work when the ship is docked.

... are you saying that the ships internet package will not work when we are docked? I was planning to purchase it for our upcoming Dawn to Bermuda.

Relax & take a deep breath.

No, please re-read my suggestion that land-based, paid WiFi in Bermuda at Dockyard "as backup to stay in touch with family members in frail health"

In other words, it is non-satellite connectitons, which has its own limitations and coverage as well. Availability both on the ships and off-the-ship on dry land, even in today's information age, are never 100% guaranteed so for contingency purposes - one should always know of other options, including simple texting or voice calling (that require & use much narrower bandwidth) over video transmissions. Service providers are also known (i.e. as in most hotels these days) are also know to block certain "data ports" traffic to stop VoIP. With respect to Bermuda, there has been any recent reports or updates (this Spring/Summer's cruise season) of the status of shored-based paid WiFi, but it has been inexpensive and a purchase one-day or multi-day pass on the pier (and, not reachable on the ship due to distance of the signal/coverage, especially on tall & big, mega-ships). Satellite internet speed/latency on high seas has improved vastly within the past 5 years (maybe less) but remained relatively expensive - and, support APPS such as Facetime (previously access blocked on the ship).

My FIL/MIL had frail & chronic health issues so we always make sure we have means of staying in touch, almost 24/7 - worldwide as was the case when we travel. That meant sometimes a $8/minute voice call shore-to-ship marine telephone call in addition to being "on" both AT&T and T-Mobile roaming, and, spare batteries - both of them had transitioned to a better universe - but, we still have mom around, generally in good care by others.

-

In a nutshell, assumed that everything with Facetime & data worked 98% of the time but failed when you need it most, can you do Skype or Google Voice/Hangout calling, or have international calling/roaming on a plain mobile phone that can take/receive voice calls & text messages.

send from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288