email today from NCL RE: Volume of kids??

tursia

Just received and email from NCL, this is a first for me EVER on a cruise. We are sailing the week of April 12. The email basically says there they are expecting a high volume of children and teens under 18. Sign up as soon as you get on, expect waits, and HOPEFULLY there will be room for you kid to be dropped off, but it's not guaranteed. What?? Has this EVER happened to anyone that they couldn't drop off their kids due to capacity issues?

We have sailed on very busy ships on RCI and never have had an issue. Is this really an issue or are they just trying to scare me? I will not be happy if I can't leave my kids and have some couple time. That is one reason we cruise so everyone can have a little space. I love my kids, but love having a date night on the cruise too. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Just received and email from NCL, this is a first for me EVER on a cruise. We are sailing the week of April 12. The email basically says there they are expecting a high volume of children and teens under 18. Sign up as soon as you get on, expect waits, and HOPEFULLY there will be room for you kid to be dropped off, but it's not guaranteed. What?? Has this EVER happened to anyone that they couldn't drop off their kids due to capacity issues?

We have sailed on very busy ships on RCI and never have had an issue. Is this really an issue or are they just trying to scare me? I will not be happy if I can't leave my kids and have some couple time. That is one reason we cruise so everyone can have a little space. I love my kids, but love having a date night on the cruise too. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Yep. Spring break. Do what the letter says you should be fine.

That is strange- we have sailed over Easter week the past 2 years (and Thanksgiving week this past year) and have never gotten a letter like that. Yes, it was crowded, but we never had an issue dropping off the kids- other than having to wait in a fairly long line to do so! We were on smaller ships- the Dawn and Star- so maybe that's part of it, but I've never heard of anyone being denied access to the kids club for overcrowding.

ahhhh and I will add that this past Thanksgiving on the Sun they had just implemented a new ipad system of registering the kids and it took FOREVER. No one seemed to know what they were supposed to do with it... I'm sure the kinks have been worked out by now, but that first night registration was painful. IF there's any ability to do that ahead of time do it!

We got that same email in November prior to our Thanksgiving cruise on Epic. The sign up line for the kids academy on embarkation afternoon took a little longer than we'd expected, but the rest of the cruise went smoothly. Our son was in Splash Academy every day and night, and was never turned away.

Your cruise is happening on the heels of one of the most family friendly promotions NCL has run. Therefore there are likely higher than usual array of children on your sailing. You know what your' re walking into, so be prepared and you'll be fine.

I got the same letter but I am not worried- the letter is general for March and April. I sailed last year during spring break with a full ship and do not recall getting a letter. My teen was in Entourage and most teens want to hang out. This year, I will have my nephew who is 9. What I recall on past cruises, that if the club is at capacity, you have to wait until someone leaves the club.

We got the same letter before our Christmas and New Years cruise. Ita, sign the kids up early for kids club, be aware of peak times for sign in (e.g. Go at 7:50 on the first night and get in line), and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because folks get so upset with the long lines/wait times on cruises like this, it is a way to give a "heads up" that there will be long lines and delays. Be prepared. Your kids will be fine, but do as they say, get in line as soon as you board and be patient.

We received the same notification for our sailing over Thanksgiving on the Jewel. Our ship didn't have the iPad sign up yet, but registration was slower than normal anyway. But our DS was in the teen program so no dropping him off for anything. He went to some of the activities, but not all.

I always expected a line for registration and first night drop off, even if not sailing during spring break or over a holiday. If there's no line, yay me.

We sailed the same week 2 years ago and didn't get this email, and we are sailing next week and did get this email. The email is a little alarming at first, but you have to parse it out:

1: All parents are encouraged to register for the Splash Academy and Entourage programs as soon as they board the ship.

Bullet 1 says: do the paperwork and sign up before kids club and entourage open. This doesn't mean cancel your brunch and board early, since getting them signed up is just the paperwork....see bullet 3 for more information. I think they are just encouraging everyone to do the paperwork before they try to drop off the first time

2: Due to the high volume of children and teenagers you could experience slight wait times at registration, drop off and pick up. Please have yours and your child's key card available.

Bullet 2 says: Expect to wait in line. There were waits during drop off and pick up when I sailed two years ago...sometimes we would wait 10 minutes or so to drop off. So, plan ahead and leave yourself plenty of time before your reservation or your show.

3: Splash Academy and Entourage are offered on a first come, first served basis yet strictly follows fire code capacity protocols. In the event, maximum capacity is reached, drop off cannot be guaranteed. We apologize for the inconvenience however the safety of all guests is our top priority.

Bullet 3 is the kicker: each and every day, kids are coming and going from kids club. There is a maximum capacity, and no matter when you enrolled (bullet 1), when you go to drop off, if there is no room at that time...you can't drop off. This never happened to us two years ago in our kid's age group (dolphins), but if it did, I totally get it. I would NOT want them to take in more kids than they could safely monitor or than the room was designed to hold.

Not all kids are going to go every night, every afternoon, or every day. I know my kids went in an out depending on if the activity offered interested them. So, maybe, worst case scenario, when you go to drop off, you have to wait until someone else wants to leave before you can drop off.

3: Splash Academy and Entourage are offered on a first come, first served basis yet strictly follows fire code capacity protocols. In the event, maximum capacity is reached, drop off cannot be guaranteed. We apologize for the inconvenience however the safety of all guests is our top priority.

Bullet 3 is the kicker: each and every day, kids are coming and going from kids club. There is a maximum capacity, and no matter when you enrolled (bullet 1), when you go to drop off, if there is no room at that time...you can't drop off. This never happened to us two years ago in our kid's age group (dolphins), but if it did, I totally get it. I would NOT want them to take in more kids than they could safely monitor or than the room was designed to hold.

Not all kids are going to go every night, every afternoon, or every day. I know my kids went in an out depending on if the activity offered interested them. So, maybe, worst case scenario, when you go to drop off, you have to wait until someone else wants to leave before you can drop off.

This. Last year my dd and I sailed during Presidents' week and there were 1600 kids on board. There was one night I went to drop dd off after dinner and we were turned away because they were at capacity. DD had made plans to meet her new friend at the club and they were both disappointed. I took them back to my room to watch a movie, but I'm sure they would have had more fun in the club.

We sailed the same week 2 years ago and didn't get this email, and we are sailing next week and did get this email. The email is a little alarming at first, but you have to parse it out:

1: All parents are encouraged to register for the Splash Academy and Entourage programs as soon as they board the ship.

Bullet 1 says: do the paperwork and sign up before kids club and entourage open. This doesn't mean cancel your brunch and board early, since getting them signed up is just the paperwork....see bullet 3 for more information. I think they are just encouraging everyone to do the paperwork before they try to drop off the first time

Hi - question for my sister who will be registering her DD's. Where do you go to get paperwork? Do you just go up to splash academy when you board the ship - will you be able to do that? Thanks!

We're going on the Breakaway this July and it's a huge ship, plus I'm sure plenty of kids will be onboard because it's summer vacation for them. Has anyone ever been turned away from the camp during the summer? How do they handle this? I'm guessing you just have to try later on when it's convenient for you to stop by there again.

Also, could kids be registered online for the kids camp prior to sailing date?

Hi - question for my sister who will be registering her DD's. Where do you go to get paperwork? Do you just go up to splash academy when you board the ship - will you be able to do that? Thanks!

We sailed on the Dawn in mid January and there were several staff from the Kid's Club in most of the public areas to sign your child up right there on the spot. If they see children boarding they usually ask you and the child(ren) if you would like to register.