Question regarding tipping on NCL

rc1973

We have only sailed on NCL once. And it was a while ago. Is it customary to tip anyone above and beyond the DSC? Like cabin stewards, baristas, etc? Thanks!

Only if you believe the service was above and beyond what the DSC provides for. It's purely up to you.

No tipping required or expected. So you won't be wrong not tipping at all. However, you can if you wish. We do. Strictly personal choice for us, but I usually tip at the end of the cruise about $5 a day to the cabin steward. In the sit down restaurants, maybe $3 for breakfast or lunch, $5 for dinner. Servers in the bars, $1 for each round they bring the two of us, or if sitting at the bar, maybe $3 or 4 for the bartender serving us when we leave. I just do this because I truly have always been delighted all the NCL personnel. But, do it only if you wish....really isn't expected.

We have only sailed on NCL once. And it was a while ago. Is it customary to tip anyone above and beyond the DSC? Like cabin stewards, baristas, etc? Thanks!
I plan to remove my DSC and tip in cash to those that actually serve me. I don't feel the need to donate to their incentive programs and advertising which is part of the DSC. This is a controversial subject with no definitive answer.

That is entirely up to you. If you receive exceptional service and want to provide an extra gratuity then feel free to do so. Personally while we have never received bad service on NCL, I have never received service that I would consider exceptional enough to warrant an extra or additional gratuity. If you sit by the pool a lot it may be a good idea to tip a server extra so that you can actually get some service since they seem to be spread thin these days.

I plan to remove my DSC and tip in cash to those that actually serve me. I don't feel the need to donate to their incentive programs and advertising which is part of the DSC. This is a controversial subject with no definitive answer.

This is simply an excuse to avoid tipping, aka known as being cheap. I have never seen a reason to remove the DSC, but as more and more passengers either remove it or try to remove it NCL, will simply either make it mandatory or they will raise cruise fares enough to cover the DSC.

People that think they are somehow not paying salaries are delusional.

This is simply an excuse to avoid tipping, aka known as being cheap. I have never seen a reason to remove the DSC, but as more and more passengers either remove it or try to remove it NCL, will simply either make it mandatory or they will raise cruise fares enough to cover the DSC.

Why is it cheap when paying the same amount in cash VS the auto tip. I prefer to give it to those that actually serve me. You can do it your way and I will do it my way. We can do it different ways without name calling, that's childish on your part. If NCL allows the passenger to make the choice how to tip. Unless they make it mandatory one way or the other passengers are free to do what works for them.

No tipping required or expected. So you won't be wrong not tipping at all. However, you can if you wish. We do. Strictly personal choice for us, but I usually tip at the end of the cruise about $5 a day to the cabin steward. In the sit down restaurants, maybe $3 for breakfast or lunch, $5 for dinner. Servers in the bars, $1 for each round they bring the two of us, or if sitting at the bar, maybe $3 or 4 for the bartender serving us when we leave. I just do this because I truly have always been delighted all the NCL personnel. But, do it only if you wish....really isn't expected.

Wow, that's a lot of extra tipping!!!

We only tip extra if something exceptional happens. We have tipped extra and probably will again, but do it rarely rather than regularly. And, by removing the DSC, you are actually punishing those behind the scenes, in the buffet, and so on, that you don't see or cannot specifically tip. We do regularly fill out those cards, however, when someone has done a good job and has been our vacation hero, and we have provided names in the surveys we get after we return. Those do seem to make a difference for the stewards (from their report), at least, in their merit pay.

And, yes, it is delusional if one thinks removing the DSC does not affect the pay of the of the crew.

There is a daily service charge and a service charge of 18% added to bar and speciality dining which are a la carte extras that you pay if you avail of those items. You don't have to pay anything else at all. You may add a discretionary amount if you choose or give cash to them if you so desire. It is entirely up to you.

Better known as look at me, look at me. Here is your cash tip now drop to your knees and kiss my hand. I am so generous.

We are due on the breakaway in jan 2016 and on booking in march 2015 have been told by our TA that DSC is mandatory.

Your TA did not provide accurate information. DSC is automatic but not mandatory. You can choose to opt out if you wish.

It is fascinating that there are people who simply do not understand the system and how it works.

It's also amazing that so many people think businesses, rather than customers pay the salaries of employees.

The number of people who feel the need to lord themselves over the groundlings with a 'here little fellow' handout is also disturbing.

The ones who say 'it's not about the money' are the worst, 'cause when they say that we all know it's really about the money.

As others have said, the $12.95 per day per person DSC covers your room steward and all the servers at meals in the complementary venues. An auto-gratuity is added to all specialty restaurant cover charges and beverages you purchase, so you don't have to tip extra there. Because of the auto-gratuities, always check the receipt before you sign and add an additional tip .... there is usually a line for additional tip on the slip even if the 18% gratuity is already on the bill. Some people miss that and end up adding a tip they wouldn't otherwise pay.

I should mention that in suites, the DSC is $14.95 per day per person.

There are some exceptions. It is customary to tip your butler and concierge separately if you are staying in a suite. And I understand it is customary to tip the workers in the spa as you feel appropriate. When our kids were young, it was customary to tip the kid's club staff as well if you used the kid's club (I don't know about NCL and if they are included in the DSC).

The subject is controversial because people like you make it so. Simply put you are expected to pay the DSC and no amount of telling people that you pay the same amount in cash after pulling the DSC will ever be believed. If you did you wouldn't waste the time pulling the DSC and the effort of carrying around change with you to the buffet, MDR, etc to hand out tips. So if you want to be cheap, man up and say so or better yet, just keep that to yourself and there will be no controversy but don't spit out lies to unknowing cruisers. There are definitive answers and they are in black on white here and on the website. The DSC is expected to be paid and nothing else is required.

Edited by Out to sea!

$12.95 per person per day is a lot of money for a "Service Charge" or in simple terms "tips" On top of that is an extra 18% on drinks, so on a 7 night cruise you could easily end up paying in excess of $250 in "tips" per couple.

Anyone wanting to give anymore than $35 a day "tips" must have more money that sense.

I have always thought the way you do: I question those who claim they want to tip everyone separately. Even if, they do and i do not know they don't, they seem to forget all those behind the scenes that are responsible for our successful cruise. our policy has always been, since the start of DSC, regardless of the cruise line, is: keep the DSC in place and added a little extra tip to those who have gone out of their way to tip those who we deal with daily and who have made our cruise a wonderful experience.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The subject is controversial because people like you make it so. Simply put you are expected to pay the DSC and no amount of telling people that you pay the same amount in cash after pulling the DSC will ever be believed. If you did you wouldn't waste the time pulling the DSC and the effort of carrying around change with you to the buffet, MDR, etc to hand out tips. So if you want to be cheap, man up and say so or better yet, just keep that to yourself and there will be no controversy but don't spit out lies to unknowing cruisers. There are definitive answers and they are in black on white here and on the website. The DSC is expected to be paid and nothing else is required.

WOW what an ego!

When we booked our PCC from Norwegian said it is optional.

If it was truly optional, why would anyone pay it?

Just a "for instance". Part of it goes to the waiters, would you think it was ok not to tip them? Would you not tip in a restaurant on land?

The optional part is if you want to give something over and above the DSC.

Edited by iheartbda

If it was truly optional, why would anyone pay it?

Just a "for instance". Part of it goes to the waiters, would you think it was ok not to tip them? Would you not tip in a restaurant on land?

The optional part is if you want to give something over and above the DSC.

I am not new to cruising. I am new to NCL. When booking I asked about extra charges and was told that about DSC. The PCC said DSC is entirely optional. We'll be charged it but can turn it off. My PCC said many folks prefer the old way of tipping cash, this is just an alternate way the cruise line came up with for our convenience and we are not obligated to their way.

I never said I wouldn't pay it, or that I won't tip, or that waiters don't deserve the tips they earn. I was just correcting someone who said it is expected to pay the autocharge DSC when really it is an optional charge and not the only way to handle things. NCL's own PCC's will tell you that. That's all.

The option to give more always exists everywhere in life.