trusting allergy accommodations?

gluecksbaer

Due to issues with allergies & weight gain my children only drink coconut milk. We'll be on the Pearl in July. When I emailed NCL to figure out a way to bring on and store coconut milk they responded that it would be provided for us.

I'm having a hard time trusting someone else with my children's health.

I have since found some stores carry shelf-stable coconut milk. I plan to bring some of that to make it easier to take off the ship in ports, etc. I'm tempted to pack enough for the whole week but that seems like wasted luggage space if NCL will actually have it on board.

Anyone have experiences with special dietary requests such as this? How much should I trust that any maitre d I ask (as instructed in the email) will be able to find and deliver coconut milk to my children?

Due to issues with allergies & weight gain my children only drink coconut milk. We'll be on the Pearl in July. When I emailed NCL to figure out a way to bring on and store coconut milk they responded that it would be provided for us.

I have since found some stores carry shelf-stable coconut milk. I plan to bring some of that to make it easier to take off the ship in ports, etc. I'm tempted to pack enough for the whole week but that seems like wasted luggage space if NCL will actually have it on board.

Anyone have experiences with special dietary requests such as this? How much should I trust that any maitre d I ask (as instructed in the email) will be able to find and deliver coconut milk to my children?

My situation isn't like yours, but I have a sensitivity to gluten. I get sick within bout 30 minutes of ingesting it. I completed the form before my cruise on the Jade last October, and the first day met with the restaurant manager. He assured me I would be taken care of and he was right! At every restaurant (I had purchased UDP, so dined at a different restaurant each evening), I was given recommendations on gluten-free items and was often provided with gluten-free bread. I didn't get sick at all on my cruise. I can't tell you how many times it's happened in restaurants that I'm assured something is gluten-free and that the staff takes precautions against cross-contamination and then I'm sick before even leaving the restaurant! It was a pleasure to get to eat for a week without worrying about getting ill. :)

Was your email to/from the Special Needs desk? If so, don't worry too much.

If not, you need to contact the Special Needs dept.

They take food allergies VERY seriously, to the point of having totally separate kitchens to cook for people with the most extreme allergies, like peanuts or shellfish. If you have contacted the Special Needs department it will be fine, although I would probably bring the shelf stable stuff like you said, for port days...

Was your email to/from the Special Needs desk? If so, don't worry too much.

If not, you need to contact the Special Needs dept.

I couldn't find anything on the NCL page but I found an old email referenced in an old message board thread (might have been here or somewhere else I can't find it now), so the email I found was: accessdesk@ncl.com

The reply I got was from "Allyson" who said she was the access coordinator for the Norwegian Pearl (her signature says "access desk coordinator").

Is the access desk the same as the special needs desk?

My situation isn't like yours, but I have a sensitivity to gluten. I get sick within bout 30 minutes of ingesting it. I completed the form before my cruise on the Jade last October, and the first day met with the restaurant manager. He assured me I would be taken care of and he was right! At every restaurant (I had purchased UDP, so dined at a different restaurant each evening), I was given recommendations on gluten-free items and was often provided with gluten-free bread. I didn't get sick at all on my cruise. I can't tell you how many times it's happened in restaurants that I'm assured something is gluten-free and that the staff takes precautions against cross-contamination and then I'm sick before even leaving the restaurant! It was a pleasure to get to eat for a week without worrying about getting ill. :)

DON'T TRUST THEM!!! Our experience with the gluten free was exactly opposite. Every restaurant we went to promised us gluten free and yet the only gluten free food DW found was actually in the buffet, vegetable and salads for the entire week with the eggs for breakfast. Believe it or not, I had to explain to the chef in charge of the buffet how to make french toast. He apologized the frozen gluten free french toast was beyond the use by date and apparently did not know how to make it from scratch. After giving him directions, about an hour later (after the wife had already had a substitute breakfast) he came back with the french toast. I think he cooked it over a match, only way to explain an hour wait.

To the OP, take your own coconut milk. If they end up providing it, great. if they don't have it onboard, you have a fall back supply.

I would probably take my own if it is a serious problem with your children. I do know they do their very best to honor any diatary needs, but if you bring your own milk you are sure the kids will have exactly what they are supposed to have. I have seen many people with food concerns very satisfied with NCL as well as other cruise lines. I do know if one makes a request prior to sailing and comfirms the need for special diets, glueten free or whatever NCL does honor the requests. I have been at table where this has been the case.

Edited by newmexicoNita

DON'T TRUST THEM!!! Our experience with the gluten free was exactly opposite. Every restaurant we went to promised us gluten free and yet the only gluten free food DW found was actually in the buffet, vegetable and salads for the entire week with the eggs for breakfast. Believe it or not, I had to explain to the chef in charge of the buffet how to make french toast. He apologized the frozen gluten free french toast was beyond the use by date and apparently did not know how to make it from scratch. After giving him directions, about an hour later (after the wife had already had a substitute breakfast) he came back with the french toast. I think he cooked it over a match, only way to explain an hour wait.

To the OP, take your own coconut milk. If they end up providing it, great. if they don't have it onboard, you have a fall back supply.

We had an amazing experience with NCL and celiac dd. a message was waiting for us in the cabin, to speak with someone who would be arranging her meals all week. She got to arrange meals a day ahead of time. In specialties, they made us aware what she could order. We even ordered gluten free pizza from room service. She really liked their bread.

I've had the same experience on 7 cruises since my diagnosis.

I would take my own supply--you never know what can slip through the cracks. The out-of-date French toast the thing that dadroy talks about could happen, or the food provisioner could forget it or was out of stock, or any number of different things could happen. Just throw your milk into a suitcase or a tote and give it to the porters and it will appear out side your door (or carry it on). I would not want to take a chance.

I'll know first hand next week. Sailing out on Saturday. My son is intolerant to dairy and soy. He prefers the taste of coconut milk over almond. Some boats have Daiya cheese on board, but I am not sure if that is by request only. I filled out the form, notated that daiya cheese and coconut milk are his favorites, faxed it back, and will meet with the Group Services Coordinator upon boarding to discuss meals.

We were going to bring some "safe" snacks onboard, but opted to avoid the hassle of getting clearance for it. Not sure if there's much of a hassle, but I made it into a big deal so my husband would just drop the issue. :D Per the email from access desk: Please be advised that guests are not allowed to bring any foods onboard. They can only bring dried, ready to eat, non-perishable items and they must provide with a list of brands so we can obtain clearance.

Since your children drink coconut milk, they should try this: http://stevesicecream.com/

Options are so limited when you can't have dairy or soy. We buy it probably a little too much from our local grocery store. The burnt sugar is my son's favorite and the coffee one is mine! I wish they had this on the ship.

I would take my own supply--you never know what can slip through the cracks. The out-of-date French toast the thing that dadroy talks about could happen, or the food provisioner could forget it or was out of stock, or any number of different things could happen. Just throw your milk into a suitcase or a tote and give it to the porters and it will appear out side your door (or carry it on). I would not want to take a chance.

Yes, bring some of your own and you'll have it near you. Is it absolutely necessary to use it at all times? Is there alternates they can drink for the week while they are on vacation? Will each and every eatery be keeping x amount behind their counter for you?

I'll know first hand next week. Sailing out on Saturday. My son is intolerant to dairy and soy. He prefers the taste of coconut milk over almond. Some boats have Daiya cheese on board, but I am not sure if that is by request only. I filled out the form, notated that daiya cheese and coconut milk are his favorites, faxed it back, and will meet with the Group Services Coordinator upon boarding to discuss meals.

We were going to bring some "safe" snacks onboard, but opted to avoid the hassle of getting clearance for it. Not sure if there's much of a hassle, but I made it into a big deal so my husband would just drop the issue. :D Per the email from access desk: Please be advised that guests are not allowed to bring any foods onboard. They can only bring dried, ready to eat, non-perishable items and they must provide with a list of brands so we can obtain clearance.

Since your children drink coconut milk, they should try this: http://stevesicecream.com/

Options are so limited when you can't have dairy or soy. We buy it probably a little too much from our local grocery store. The burnt sugar is my son's favorite and the coffee one is mine! I wish they had this on the ship.

You can bring on as man prepackaged snacks as you want. They just won't prepare your items.

I'm sorry that was your experience. I had absolutely no trouble. I thought about not completing the form and just ordering things that are naturally GF, but I was concerned about cross-contamination. It's odd to me that they didn't have GF food available at the different dining venues--I ate at a different restaurant every night and every one of them had GF items on the menu and GF bread available. They wouldn't have been able to make French toast from scratch while you waited unless you wanted to wait a few hours (until I finally found some bread I liked, I made it every Saturday and it took up half my day! But, you'd think they could have had some GF bread brought from another venue to make some French Toast.

We had an amazing experience with NCL and celiac dd. a message was waiting for us in the cabin, to speak with someone who would be arranging her meals all week. She got to arrange meals a day ahead of time. In specialties, they made us aware what she could order. We even ordered gluten free pizza from room service. She really liked their bread.

I had read before I went on my first NCL cruise that you should go to the restaurant the night before to select your meal for the next night. I did that the first couple of nights, but they told me it wasn't necessary. Maybe that's just for the main dining rooms and not the specialty dining?

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Thanks for all the responses and advice.

The problem with just packing coconut milk is that a week's supply takes a lot of space. And my next step is finding a store in Seattle where I can purchase shelf-stable coconut milk. Otherwise it's also extra and overweight baggage on our flight. We're headed to Alaska so I would be surprised to find it easily in port. But coconut milk is becoming more common so I may be that lucky.

My kids won't die if they drink some juice or water for a few days. But when you're already below all the growth charts, every little bit makes a difference.

So that's why I asked for other's experience. As I said I will bring some to make sure I have it in port or when it's not convenient to go to a restaurant to find some. It's just a balance to figure out what I need.

Please remember to update me with how it goes on your trip!

So Delicious Coconut ice cream is everywhere here. I've never seen Stevie's. Their website says it's at one of our local grocery stores so I may check that out next time I'm there. It sounds like there are more flavor options with Stevie's (although that may vary by store too).

I'm concerned that some of you have referenced a form to fill out as I only had an email exchange. So I may have to ask about that.

I'm also counting on the information from the NCL website FAQ which states: "Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard." in the list of items not allowed onboard. This implies my bag of safe snacks/treats for my kids should be allowed. I'm not taking them out to a restaurant for their bedtime snack. It's interesting that you received an email with different information.

110% trust allergy accommodations, we can ONLY sail NCL due to my daughters severe allergies! I'll post more later about or experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses and advice.

The problem with just packing coconut milk is that a week's supply takes a lot of space. And my next step is finding a store in Seattle where I can purchase shelf-stable coconut milk. Otherwise it's also extra and overweight baggage on our flight. We're headed to Alaska so I would be surprised to find it easily in port. But coconut milk is becoming more common so I may be that lucky.

My kids won't die if they drink some juice or water for a few days. But when you're already below all the growth charts, every little bit makes a difference.

So that's why I asked for other's experience. As I said I will bring some to make sure I have it in port or when it's not convenient to go to a restaurant to find some. It's just a balance to figure out what I need.

It's been a while since being in Alaska, but at 1 port (thinking Ketchikan), there is a Walmart:D and they provided a van to take you there.

P

I'm also counting on the information from the NCL website FAQ which states: "Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard." in the list of items not allowed onboard. This implies my bag of safe snacks/treats for my kids should be allowed. I'm not taking them out to a restaurant for their bedtime snack. It's interesting that you received an email with different information.

Unsealed is the key in that statement. You can take whatever sealed snacks you'd like--I take energy bars for port days in case I'm on an excursion and need a snack and nothing's readily available. It's not a problem to bring items that are prepackaged and sealed. :)